Language learning thread

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My parents say I need to learn Spanish because of my last name since people will assume that I know Spanish. I gotta get started on that since I wasn't able to take it in my previous years of school and I'm going to be a senior next year.
I'm also thinking of taking Japanese. Could be useful for translating games and for the Jap. 3DS I got a little while ago.
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Take the course. Learn it. Own it! I never learned Spanish, but I get spoke to in Spanish often. I look it, I can’t speak it. Its awkward. (you should always) Listen to your parents. Im in my fourties and I really wished I would’ve learned when I was younger, then I wouldn’t feel like that anymore. I should actually try Duolingo. Seems a lot of people has good success with that. I don’t have much time to go to a school. This might be something I can quickly and conveniently work on.

Reactions: 1B51004

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What languages are you learning and what resources do you use?

Feel free to post progress, tips and tricks, resources, or ask for advice

I've been learning Chinese for a few years now, I mostly use duolingo, but I've also used HelloChinese. I have found some helpful anki decks as well. I had a really long streak on duolingo, but it lapsed :'( I'm currently trying to get the year streak

What about you guys?
How goes your Chinese studies? I also studied Mandarin for about three or four years (only learning to read pinyin), having several weekly exchanges with Chinese natives; I'd help them with their English, and vice versa. It was so fulfilling and rewarding -- and made some great friends. Felt like a healthy workout. Stopped a couple of years ago when the first bouts of illness began, but I've been wanting to return to my studies.

I think I remember using both Duolingo and HelloChinese. There was also a book (or PDF, can't remember too clearly) I used that had illustrations of simple interactions, with the pinyin above and the English translation below. It's what I used for my main tool during exchanges. Can't find it, though. :(

But why Chinese? I think it probably, in the back of mind at least, had to do with the obvious importance of China in the world now. Plus, learning about pinyin made it a practical option for me. I had already studied Spanish all throughout grade school, did some French in college, and my interest in Asian culture was growing, in no small part because my wife is Korean.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
My native languages are German and a derivative dialect of lower German. I learned English at school and due to the usage of the interwebs. In 2011 I started learning Portuguese through friends and some course I took. But I forgot most of it. I was used to be fluent in Spanish but I'm out of practice and became unable to differentiate between these past forms. I'm learning Japanese with books and apps from time to time. I'm trying Buusu right now which is quite good actually. I don't seem to forget any Japanese since I encounter it every time I go online or listen to music.
Due to my knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese, I can understand a bit French and Italian, and being a native German speaker helps me understand other Germanic languages like Dutch, Swedish and so on

ihaveawindows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
My native languages are German and a derivative dialect of lower German. I learned English at school and due to the usage of the interwebs. In 2011 I started learning Portuguese through friends and some course I took. But I forgot most of it. I was used to be fluent in Spanish but I'm out of practice and became unable to differentiate between these past forms. I'm learning Japanese with books and apps from time to time. I'm trying Buusu right now which is quite good actually. I don't seem to forget any Japanese since I encounter it every time I go online or listen to music.
Due to my knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese, I can understand a bit French and Italian, and being a native German speaker helps me understand other Germanic languages like Dutch, Swedish and so on
Wow, you speak portuguese? I am also learning Portuguese!
Como ides agora?
Yeah, Busuu is very good. I've learnt A1 French with it, and I got a B+ on my final test!
If you have trouble differentiating between the imperfect, the preterite, just remember that they are used differently in different contexts. That's how I remembered them!

Salaam from Indonesia!

Reactions: CosmoCortney

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

English people in a different country.

"Do. You. Speak. Englosay."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.