Homebrew Question Lakka questions

HappehLemons

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Lakka-Switch.L4T.aarch64-2.2-devel-20190728151829 from the lakka site. This was the "latest" stable from a year ago. Is there a new one?

As for psx emulator I'm using the pcsx rearmed one

And as for SD I'm using a SanDisk ultra micro sd. With 100MB read speed. Yes it's a U1 but reading is 100MB. (tested with a copy from SD 85MB per second)

I know it's confusing, but yes there's a new build. Read the more recent posts in the thread and there's a link to it, a user here has compiled it, It's from May2020. PCSX rearmed is the proper core to use. If you're still having issues after this let me know and I'm happy to help.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have installed the latest stable lakka version on my switch and try to play some games like psx and GC. But all games stutter like crazy. I used max performance cpu over clock and gpu handheld boost. Vulkan driver. And nothing more.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to update the cores? Or are there more settings I need to adjust?

Games I tried:
PSX vigilant 8 2nd offence stuttering like crazy during a race

GC:
Mario kart: stutters during game play and cutscenes
Mario sunshine. Stutters during game play. Not so much as Mario kart but still very annoying. Also the audio crackles a lot. Mostly the talking segments (different audio track than the music?)
Sonic adventure 2: is pretty much unplayable don't think it does more than 10fps
I use Switchroot Android but I think performance is similar to Lakka. PSX should be no problem at all. For Dolphin, I've found most GC games don't run fullspeed and Wii games are mostly too slow to be considered playable, but you can set the emulated CPU clock speed override to 40% which will get rid of the audio issues and might improve performance a little, but it won't get rid of stuttering, maybe improve it a little. I use that setting for all games in Dolphin. Paper Mario TTYD is a good one to play as it runs very well at 1x native res with frameskipping in some areas only, and still runs quite well at 2x native res (and looks great in handheld mode at 2x) and Super Paper Mario is also playable at 1x native res (all other Wii games I tried were too demanding even with emulated CPU clock speed override)
I think Mario Kart Double Dash ran pretty well for me with 40% emulated CPU clock on Switchroot. More than playable.

andytuinman3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use Switchroot Android but I think performance is similar to Lakka. PSX should be no problem at all. For Dolphin, I've found most GC games don't run fullspeed and Wii games are mostly too slow to be considered playable, but you can set the emulated CPU clock speed override to 40% which will get rid of the audio issues and might improve performance a little, but it won't get rid of stuttering, maybe improve it a little. I use that setting for all games in Dolphin. Paper Mario TTYD is a good one to play as it runs very well at 1x native res with frameskipping in some areas only, and still runs quite well at 2x native res (and looks great in handheld mode at 2x) and Super Paper Mario is also playable at 1x native res (all other Wii games I tried were too demanding even with emulated CPU clock speed override)
I think Mario Kart Double Dash ran pretty well for me with 40% emulated CPU clock on Switchroot. More than playable.

I've seen the option of emulated cpu speed. But don't understand what it's supposed to be. Default it's 100% so does it need to be lower or higher for improvement?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've seen the option of emulated cpu speed. But don't understand what it's supposed to be. Default it's 100% so does it need to be lower or higher for improvement?
It actually runs the game at a lower clock which means instead of the emulator slowing down when it's struggling, the game skips frames. Which means perfect audio. Also, games that don't actually use up all the CPU time will get performance improvements, since the emulator no longer has to emulate the full clock speed which the game isn't fully utilizing anyway.

I have tested with other values than 40% and 40% seems to be the sweet spot. Any higher and the emulator might slow down leading to glitchy audio, any lower and it will just negatively impact the performance.
Some games are so demanding that they still have glitchy audio even with that setting. Most Wii games still struggle a lot but the audio seemed perfect in almost every GC game I tried with that setting. One notable exception being F-Zero GX, that game runs like shit no matter what.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: TheCasualties

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm using Lakka-Switch.L4T.aarch64-2.2-devel-20190728151829 from the lakka site. This was the "latest" stable from a year ago. Is there a new one?

As for psx emulator I'm using the pcsx rearmed one

And as for SD I'm using a SanDisk ultra micro sd. With 100MB read speed. Yes it's a U1 but reading is 100MB. (tested with a copy from SD 85MB per second)
The last official update was more than a yea ago.
  1. Make sure you are using the latest unofficial version compiled by mindwipe: https://mega.nz/file/NollVKTK#VHH8GnFk9oqpRw95JY1IAYDo0dxQt8hvKdHHmdTjG_c
  2. Download it and go to /lakka/storage/cores, delete all the files in there, download this pack and put all the updated cores inside.
  3. Go to /lakka/storage/system and delete everything if there's something in there. Download this pack and extract the files inside the folder.
  4. Delete the lakka folder from the root of yor SD and replace it with the one you just build.

hlhbk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last official update was more than a yea ago.
  1. Make sure you are using the latest unofficial version compiled by mindwipe: https://mega.nz/file/NollVKTK#VHH8GnFk9oqpRw95JY1IAYDo0dxQt8hvKdHHmdTjG_c
  2. Download it and go to /lakka/storage/cores, delete all the files in there, download this pack and put all the updated cores inside.
  3. Go to /lakka/storage/system and delete everything if there's something in there. Download this pack and extract the files inside the folder.
  4. Delete the lakka folder from the root of yor SD and replace it with the one you just build.

I am so confused. So we got someone saying we can't update cores, then we got this post. Can you guys please stop your bickering and please tell us if you can update retroarch on lakka or not?

Also I am trying to run Panzer Dragoon Saga on Lakka Retroarch and there is tremendous slowdown even during cutscenes. Any way to make this run full speed?

Lastly how should Dreamcast games run on Lakka Retroarch?

FanofFans

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am so confused. So we got someone saying we can't update cores, then we got this post. Can you guys please stop your bickering and please tell us if you can update retroarch on lakka or not?

Also I am trying to run Panzer Dragoon Saga on Lakka Retroarch and there is tremendous slowdown even during cutscenes. Any way to make this run full speed?

Lastly how should Dreamcast games run on Lakka Retroarch?
In regard to the latter, Sonic Adventure 2 via DC on Lakka runs 100% perfect. No issues whatsoever.

hlhbk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regard to the latter, Sonic Adventure 2 via DC on Lakka runs 100% perfect. No issues whatsoever.

When I try to run Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver on Dreamcast core it just says it can't load content. Do you know why this would happen?

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
I honestly don't know what's his problem, but yes, you can and must update your cores manually since Lakka doesn't include a built-in updater. The unofficial versions that we use have manually updated cores after all.
Unless you wanna stick to old, out-of-date cores then you better start to update them by yourself.
Same goes for the bios.

Last edited by LeyendaV,

hlhbk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know what's his problem, but yes, you can and must update your cores manually since Lakka doesn't include a built-in updater. The unofficial versions that we use have manually updated cores after all.
Unless you wanna stick to old, out-of-date cores then you better start to update them by yourself.
Same goes for the bios.

Gonna try out your guide and report back.

Reactions: LeyendaV

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Ran through the guide. The cores are definitely upgraded. Thanks for this guide! Scanning my games in now!
Keep in mind, while BIOS don't need updates, cores do. From now on, check regulary the repositories for the cores you use frequently and download the new versions to replace the files in you SD card.
A good method is download RetroArch to use on your Swtich. It has a built-in updater, so if you place the same exact cores inside the RA folder and update them from there, you can them copy the new versions inside the Lakka folder.

Reactions: hlhbk

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've been told - HOS has more overhead (More processes running in the background that can't be stopped), and worse drivers connected to it's hardware.

Lakka drivers are more optimized for the hardware + there's not as much overhead so you typically get a much faster experience.

My experience has been similar to yours and I always have to come back to Lakka because it seems to work the best. I hope HOS eventually will get up to speed with Lakka because I prefer to use it.
HOS has no overhead on the CPU cores that applications can touch, and it has better drivers.

HappehLemons

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOS has no overhead on the CPU cores that applications can touch, and it has better drivers.

Talking about GPU cores. CPU cores run equivalent in my experience. Someone else on the forum explained why GPU utilization is better on Lakka vs HOS - plus you can see first hand the results on cores that do use the GPU.

Last edited by HappehLemons,

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
RA runs slightly but overall better than Lakka when it comes to CPU for a simple reason. When running over Horizon and without applet, you have full access to the entire hardware "natively".
Lakka, on the other hand, is a Linux core running outside the system, so it needs to trick the hardware to make it work at full power on a context the hardware is not designed for.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RA runs slightly but overall better than Lakka when it comes to CPU for a simple reason. When running over Horizon and without applet, you have full access to the entire hardware "natively".
Lakka, on the other hand, is a Linux core running outside the system, so it needs to trick the hardware to make it work at full power on a context the hardware is not designed for.
Wat. That's not how it works, lol. It doesn't "trick" anything or whatever (also lets just ignore that L4T was used to some extent during prototyping lmao).
HOS simply runs almost everything system related on one core (except "jit", unless they changed it in 10.0.0), leaving the other three fully available to applications.
Whereas system stuff is spread across all cores in Linux.

2Dover3D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same goes for the bios.
I know this convo is old but how do you update cores on lakka and where can i get the updated cores? Thanks in advance!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat