Lack of support for DVD loading?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tranquil, Apr 12, 2009.

Apr 12, 2009
  1. Tranquil
    OP

Member Tranquil GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Now that all the craze is with USB loading, does anyone know if we're still gonna have the same progress for dvd backup launchers? I feel like USB loaders will slow down improvement in other areas, or am I wrong?

Not all of us have external hard drive's yet [​IMG]

2. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    even if u buy one usb datastick it will be cheaper than a stack of discs [​IMG] 5 bucks n u have one already!

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    disc backup launching is already near perfect, so

4. jservs7

Member jservs7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Puerto Rico
    DVD Loading? You mean putting ISOs directly on a data DVD and running games this way? If so, why? [​IMG]

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    nope dvd loaders are history! time to move on..

6. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Well, disc backup loading has pretty much reached its apex. Chances are the 3x read speed won't be broken and the only thing left for it is improving compatibility. The USB Loader has taken off because it's an excellent program for both your backups and your legitimate games since it loads faster than retail discs and if it's worked on it will eventually be superior to disc backup loading in every aspect. Right now disc loading is mostly a fallback for games like Metroid Prime Wii that don't work yet via USB.

7. sgwiiboy

Member sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    How much more progress is there to make with launchers like Gamma, cIOSCORP etc? It appears to me that we have pretty much hit the ceiling for dvd now anyway. All that's left really is a few games that don't work and 6x read speed.

As someone else said, USB is the way forward. Just go with the flow.

Plus..................I picked up a 320gb Seagate FreeAgent Go last week for less than the cost of my last 100 cake of Verbatims.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Most people just don't get it that all loaders work in a similar way. It doesn't really matter if you read from disc or usb, the reading commands are the same. If you knew how backup launching works in general you would be expecting this, the games still use disc reading commands, and so do the usb loaders.

I'm still working at improving the compatibility of SoftChip, currently i'm trying to get Sam & Max Season 1 to work. If somebody finds out how to play this game in a loader, it would directly be as compatible as the other ios reloading games(SSX, Red Steel...) in the usb loaders.

If Waninkoko patches the ios reloading games, but nobody figures out how to fix Sam & Max for disc loaders, it would still be not compatible with the usb loader.

9. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    totally agree, 3x vs 6x+ Plus

you do the math USB Loading is the way to go. in my opinion

10. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    you mean they havent got dvd loader to 6x yet ? [​IMG]
    when will they fix that ?

*runs away to avoid people throwing things at him*

11. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    But seriously what else does it needs to be improved in the Gamma Loader...?? [​IMG]

12. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    In Gamma? Plax SSX with Gamma, i thought it doesn't work with Gamma only with the rebooter. And video mode patches are nice too.

13. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If I recall the only way to do it would be to flash the Wii's disc drive. If it were a simple matter it would have been done by now. But since the USB Loader circumvents that, I doubt there's much reason to bother anymore.

14. Ben.

Member Ben. GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    How much does 100 discs cost where you are? O________O

I'd rather have 6X read speed on DVD's than to shell out on hard drives. Hardrives cost a lot here and to be honest you'll get more Discs here much cheaper than a hard drive. DVD's are 40p each here. I'd also rather have the game in a shiny case with boxart and manual too. I think they should get 6X read speed on Gamma and then be done with it. It's great as it is but 6X read speed would put the cherry ontop. The cherry thats missing at the moment, and I like cherries.

15. manias

Netherlands
    then get a modchip? [​IMG]

16. Ben.

Member Ben. GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

Never ever been attracted to modchips, I'd need soldering equipment too that I don't have a clue on how to use. My real problem with mod chips is there is possible hardware damage to be done. Also here it is £10 minimum for an 8GB pen drive. For £0.80 Thats two discs.

17. manias

Netherlands
    you could get a solderless chip or get someone to do it etc so that's not really an arguement [​IMG] I understand the appeal of having a collection of discs but you could still have that AND use usb loader, to have it all on 1 HD is very handy. It's all down to preference but with such high compatibility and ease of use, don't expect dvd development soon..

18. Tranquil
    OP

Member Tranquil GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well overall, I'd be extremely happy if both options were full-fledged. It's not like I'm NOT getting an external hard drive, I just can't get one until 3-6 months when I go to college so I can get a 1 tb. So for now, I have to make use of dvds, and if it could read at just slightly higher speeds to make intro videos not lag, that would be perfect. [​IMG]

And how much is that o.o?

19. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    the minimun stick you should have is 8GB wich it comes out as 7.45 GB or something like that, so you can put in any game (and in some cases 2 games or 3), I only play 1 game at a time so 8GB is all I need for now..!! [​IMG]