L4D2 is racist

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I guess it's not racist if people kill only white zombies or any other creature that looks like a white human being huh? People are fucking hypocrites these days, just because people of a different skin colour are in a video game doesn't make it fucking racist and anyone who takes offense to it is a retard. And ya know, if people are going to claim it's racist then I will claim it's racist that all zombies or any other human like creature has to be white that you must kill is racist towards white people. Enough of this double standard bullshit for fuck sakes!

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As a black man here's my feelings on the subject. Resident evil 5's early trailers did strike me as racially insensitive. Left4dead 2 however, does not.

The problem with RE5 wasn't that the zombies were black, but rather that the protagonist was white. There's an underlying theme that was being portrayed, that of a white man coming to save the crazed Negroes that are too incompetent to deal with the situation themselves. This theme is very popular throughout the varying entertainment mediums. For example, there are many movies centered around high schools in the ghetto/hood. The school is usually filled with minority kids and there's gang violence, teenage pregnancy, all the teachers have given up yada, yada. Then what happens? Some white teacher/principle transfers over, is appalled by the conditions and low expectations and they decide to change it. Some how, almost miraculously they do what none of the black faculty could do, they inspire the kids and the community. This is what I like to call the “White man came down the mountain” theme, as the white man descends to the lowly level of the n**** to help uplift him from his own incompetence. With the prevalence of this theme in our culture, it's no surprise that many viewed the early trailers for RE5 (which portrayed Chris Redfield as a beacon of hope in a savage land) as a bit racist. However, I must say the final product was far less offensive. The addition of Sheva and the black special forces troops, gave us proof that Africans can and will do for themselves.

I don't really get any racial vibes from L4D2 and that might be due to the fact that it's being developed by a company I trust are sensitive to the subject matter they are dealing with. I mean you can't pick New Orleans without knowing you have to tread carefully. After the cluster-fuck that was Katrina response, I think that using New Orleans as the backdrop for a game called "Left 4 dead", is as apropos as one can get.

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a member of Louisiana, I lol'd.

Louisiana is half black, half white.
We've got a sprinkle of the others. But pretty much half and half. From what I've seen.

New Orleans only has a substantial white population in the tourist parts. Otherwise, it's called Chocolate City for a reason (It's not a derogatory term, I grant you).

But, geographically, unless the game takes place along the tourist attractions, then you should be killing a much larger percentage of black zombies than white zombies.

But I did no research except live in Louisiana for the past 19 years and look around.
I'm simply assuming, so take this post for what you want.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
At first, I lawl at the topic but deep down this is getting childish.

For most of us gamers, how many times have we played games that were racist, sexist, and other real BS that stopped us from playing a certain genre of games? None.

With that said, let just forget about this shit and enjoy a new sequel to L4D with a southern twist to the fancy zombie shooting.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is this really news? I don't see why every time a black person appears in a game its racist. Using "extreme" stereotypes as character basis is racist. For instance if the main character walked around eating watermelon and slapping hoes. Thats racist. If a black character uses slang; thats not racist. Its called culture. Its not the developers fault a culture uses slang. A part of culture is also geography. Of course you'll be shooting black people in New Orleans. Alot of black people live there. So what if one of the characters is a Confederate. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be in that situation. It won't be racist unless he walks around yelling "take that blacky" well he shoots zombies. Besides white supremacist are stupid. Do we really care about their opinions?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
L4D 1 had representatives of every kind of person.
Black,
White,
Old,
Female.

tell me that this is worse.

actually, I'm more concerned with the fact that these new characters are extremilly retarded

EnigmaXtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
As a minority, had the South won, I wouldn't be in this position I am today...

Yeah, being able to bitch about anything and everything

If you claim Left 4 Dead 2, Valve and Video Games are racist I can claim you can shove yah head up yah ass and choke on yah intestine.

The fact that people are still accussing people of being racist is racist in itself. These dimwitted people still believe racism is a hot button top! ITS NOT! Not to mention this person is complaining on several people in the horde are black, not all, SEVERAL! These "reporters" believes blacks should be treated with care and never treated badly in a virtual world, why, cause apparently they think Chocolate Jesus aka Barack Obama will bust open Valves doors and end them with all with his powers of the Interweb. The fact is, im sick and tired of one person always complaining about everything, is there anything in this world that makes everyone happy?

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
You know what is really racist, where are we? The Asians, where the hell are we in all of these zombie games??

Or are u saying that we are not important to be shown killing other white/black zombies/ getting killed by them?

tongue.gif
Anyway back to topic: come on... this is retarded, u expect me to say o no, blacks are getting killed, this is racist, this is just a game, nothing more, nothing less... so i don really care ..

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I guess not a single game isn't racist. I wonder if there was even a game that checks for all the races in all 7 continents and puts them inside.

But its really gameplay that matters. If its fun, just let it slip ffs.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This thread has gone pretty far, and for no reason at all, very lame, i call for a 'close thread'. No offense intended to anyone that posted their thoughts.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
It's funny because they probably added "African-American" zombies to NOT be racist and to make it seem more realistic. Yet here's an idiot complaining about it being racist...

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thank god for gbatemp, where else could one find open minded debate. /sarcasm

Seriously though I think most of you all are better suited to posting funny jpegs and commenting on games, rather then judging what is and isn't racist. At worst the person who wrote the article in question is overly sensitive, thats it. But in your fervor to discredit this person, many of you have made your selves look ignorant, insensitive, naive and ultimately a bit racist; as you seem more concerned with demeaning someone who perceives racism rather then simply disproving them.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
**Caution, this post is meant to be read by people with a sense of humor only!

What, because all the zombie movies and games until recently were all white zombies eating brains, we now have to let the black zombies have their fill of brains first, before we can start blasting them? No wait, we now have to let them have more brains because the white zombies have gotten so many brains in the past, so it's only fair since they were disenfranchised before.

Equality or special treatment, someone make a choice and stick with it.

Black, White, Asian, Indian.... it's all undead to me.

Back to reality, since most of it was in shadow, from what I could see of the E3 trailer, first hit from google, I saw more live black people (3?) kicking zombie ass, than black zombies. Definitely the case of someone who just wanted attention than any real issue I could see from the teaser trailer.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
I guess war games where you kill Japs, Koreans or any other military enemy that isn't white is racist too
rolleyes.gif

The Japanese really like those WWII games even though they lost the war and were killed by US soldiers, nukes, and forced into camps in large numbers in that time period and have no problem with it. Some of the more obscure games are Japan only.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
DSGamer64 said:
I guess war games where you kill Japs, Koreans or any other military enemy that isn't white is racist too
rolleyes.gif

The Japanese really like those WWII games even though they lost the war and were killed by US soldiers, nukes, and forced into camps in large numbers in that time period and have no problem with it. Some of the more obscure games are Japan only.
Maybe, but what if someone made a shooter based in Iraq and you are fighting Dubya's war on terror, I guess that would be racist towards those people yet it's completely hypocritical that white people should be the only people getting killed in video games or film, and anyone who truly believes that should have the fuck beat out of them like the dumbass complaining in the article (not the OP) cause that is horribly ignorant towards us white people. I am sorry but no one race should exclusively be the prime enemy of a video game, every race should be considered and if minorities don't like it then they can just eff off and stop playing games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.