Kotaku

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not too much of a fan of kotaku, it has the nickname "slowtaku" as it often is slow on news opposed to other news sites like joystiq or destructoid.

For one I find kotaku Sony bias, sony even hints something new kotaku spazzes out like a squirrel on crack over it and claws for the smallest details, something from microsoft or nintendo they weakly poke at it if report it at all, let alone in a timely manor, unless of course its something negative then they spam the hell out of it.

Second, they are very anti pirate and cut it black and white, okay sure piracy is wrong etc, but they are rather happy with fascist DRM and other stupid copy protection methods along with all sorts of other dumbness relating to piracy, for example r4s on sale in japan, they act like its the end of the world. They overhype the lot of it and it gets on my nerves.

Third, Apple. Kotaku belong to the Gawker media group and if you browse any other of their group sites namely gizmodo you will notice they are very apple oriented, I remember when OS3 was released for the iphone and kotaku pimped it 3+ times on the day of release and the couple of following days. Sure, there might be some VALID iphone games out there but some of the stuff they've posted is irrelevant. Gizmodo got the point pretty much every other news article was an apple lovefest, it grew irritating, now it use the "not apple" tags at the end of the url to filter it.

There are a couple of other points I could probably think of if i put more time to it, it isn't all too bad if you care for alot of news about points 1 or 3 or share their narrow minded view on #2 (in which case why are you here?). I still browse fairly often, its just full of fodder most of the time.

Nago

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
crackerscrap.com
XP
Country
United States
FlatFrogger said:
For one I find kotaku Sony bias, sony even hints something new kotaku spazzes out like a squirrel on crack over it and claws for the smallest details, something from microsoft or nintendo they weakly poke at it if report it at all, let alone in a timely manor, unless of course its something negative then they spam the hell out of it.

They slammed the hell out of Sony for a long time, negative after negative article. They have a reputation for being Pro-360 if anything. It's just recently Sony has had some big news. Not to be a Kotaku apologist, but, I really think this is a bad reason to dislike them.

FlatFrogger said:
Second, they are very anti pirate and cut it black and white, okay sure piracy is wrong etc, but they are rather happy with fascist DRM and other stupid copy protection methods along with all sorts of other dumbness relating to piracy, for example r4s on sale in japan, they act like its the end of the world. They overhype the lot of it and it gets on my nerves.

They very rarely inject their opinions into mentions of these piracy articles. They usually report it very dryly, e.g, "The R4 was banned in Japan", along with some humor. They often report on when people "review bomb" games with DRM and they are obviously not Pro-DRM. They are against piracy because it is, of course, bad. It hurts the industry. It is an industry blog. This is the territory. This is a poor fight to pick.

QUOTE(FlatFrogger @ Aug 23 2009, 12:11 AM)
Third, Apple. Kotaku belong to the Gawker media group and if you browse any other of their group sites namely gizmodo you will notice they are very apple oriented, I remember when OS3 was released for the iphone and kotaku pimped it 3+ times on the day of release and the couple of following days. Sure, there might be some VALID iphone games out there but some of the stuff they've posted is irrelevant. Gizmodo got the point pretty much every other news article was an apple lovefest, it grew irritating, now it use the "not apple" tags at the end of the url to filter it.

The rest of gawker is very apple heavy, yes, but Kotaku doesn't mention it out of proportion with the other news. Most of the articles about it revolve around the device as a "coming of age" of mobile gaming, they are not usually hyping the iPhone or the games themselves. They do review the games from time to time, though.

Your best point would be that they can be "slow". Personally I enjoy the satire and the fairly accountable reporting. They're a lot better than some of the other blogs out there, and I prefer my news a day late and heavily filtered. I know, it's 2009, but I dislike some blogs' approach to POST ABOUT EVERYTHING THE MINUTE IT HAPPENS. It's okay if they're a little slow, I think the quality comes out better for it, USUALLY. Not that they are perfect, I have my own list of gripes with them, but if you wanted to separate the wheat and the chaff of gaming blogs, I would find Kotaku firmly within the winners' circle.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Who said i'm picking fights, they are prodrm and very antipirate and obviously I missed the point where they slammed sony, obviously must have been like 2-3+ years ago and they do shove apple everywhere.

Unlike say joystiq who run proper legal segments on stuff like DRM and piracy and put forward some proper views, yes they are anti pirate too, but they put up a fair analysis of it.

Kotaku and quality is an oxymoron at best. Its funny you say you dislike some blogs approach to post about every on the minute because on some occasions kotaku are guilty of that not just once but up to three times posting all sorts of extra commentary posts which are pointless at best.

Obviously you like their dumbed down readership and thats fine, alot of people still buy the news of world newspaper, I prefer more quality and accuracy in my news though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Don't ask how I know that's in the works lol