1. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I am going to bet that it will be ReiNX. We already lost Neutos a few days ago, now kosmos. pretty soon sx os will be the last one standing.

2. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    4. It's not a hack, and it is an officially supported AMS feature. Support had to intentionally be added in Atmosphere for it to work.

3. Itsuki235

Itsuki235 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Source?

4. Itsuki235

United States
    Alright I stand corrected. It looks like the ReSwitched team has provided support for "fss0=" style booting in the past.

However, a semi-supported hack it is still a hack because it meets the definition: it is a way of obtaining functionality that the software program was never intended to have. A semi-supported hack is still a hack. If you want, and so we are not getting stuck on a particular word, you are free to think of it as a "kludge" instead. Both words convey the same meaning here about how technologically appropriate fss0= style booting is. Due to the hacky nature that it words, it creates more problems than it solves in modern iterations of Hekate and there is a much better supported alternative (payload=).

Also note that hekate had the ability to extract modules from fusee-secondary prior to 0.8.5 so your conclusion that support had to be added to Atmosphere is incorrect/misleading because atmosphere-side support did not actually have to be added. The reSwitched team just made booting that way easier.

Last edited by Itsuki235, May 13, 2020 - Reason: updated in response to feedback by ZachyCatGames
  5. ZachyCatGames

United States
    It didn't work in hekate until 0.8.5 released. Scires works with CTCaer on some of this stuff and the hekate release just happened to come out before the AMS release.
    Edit: Actually, wait, where'd you get that info from. 0.8.5 came out a few days before hekate 4.9 & the commit was made in AMS first (the hekate commit: https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/commit/f139f9c56f2e01dccc0e119eebc5f0cf3e8a729a)

Edit 2: and it does not cause problems lol

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, May 13, 2020
  6. Itsuki235

United States
    I am saying it is misleading because it did work, just not on those newest (at that moment) versions of atmosphere/hekate.

The atmosphere versions prior to 0.8.5 were bootable using hekate's fss0= syntax so simplying saying "It didn't work in hekate until [atmosphere] 0.8.5" is misleading. Or are you saying it is not a hack/kludge? If you are thinking that a supported hack is an oxymoron then look up the definition of kludge.

7. ZachyCatGames

United States
    Read my edits. I rewrote most of it as you were wrong about the release dates.
    And pre-0.8.5 releases will not and cannot work with it lol.

x65943 likes this.
  8. Itsuki235

United States
    I am not sure where the disconnect is. Are we talking past one another?

If Atmosphere was not able to be booted using hekate prior to 0.8.5 (2019 Mar 7) then why does the Hekate change log for v2.1 (2018Jun01) say that it fixed CFW booting for OFW 1.0 nearly a year prior?

Source: hekate - ipl (CTCaer mod v2.1)

Clearly Hekate was able to boot CFW prior to 0.8.5. Kosmos's first release on the "current" was on 2018June04. That said, I don't have the documentation to be able to claim such booting was fss0= style and the 2018June04 release of Kosmos did not use it. Do you know one way or another? As in can you cite it or is it just about opening 100x old versions of Kosmos to figure out when they started messing with it?

The problems that it creates were already quoted by you in your first response to one of my posts.

9. ZachyCatGames

United States
    Wat. None of this has anything to do with what I said. Obviously hekate was able to boot CFW before, I never at any point said it couldn't (I was actually using atmos with hekate back then myself, since hekate CTCaer mod v1.3.0).
    fss0 was not a thing in hekate and atmos in a release until March 9th 2019 and March 7th 2019 respectively, which was what I was referring to.

Itsuki235 likes this.
  10. roamin
    This message by roamin has been removed from public view by x65943, May 13, 2020, Reason: meme'n.
    May 13, 2020
  11. angelo93
    This message by angelo93 has been removed from public view by x65943, May 13, 2020, Reason: reply to trashed post.
    May 13, 2020
  12. Itsuki235

United States
    Ah okay, that explains a lot. I assumed that Hekate always supported booting Atmosphere via "fss0=". I will update my original post to reflect that.

Kosmos v11.11 Counting Down
    So that implies that the original reasons for Tinfoil's CSE are different than fss0= style booting, which is consistent with some other stuff. However that doesn't explain why Kosmos bothered supporting it in the first place if it was not necessary originally, or did "payload=" not work at that point? In my testing it worked, but autobooting was borked. Autobooting via "payload=" in hekate has been fixed since then. It seems related to OFW 7.0.0 that was released in late January 2019, which made Atmosphere require /sept/ to complete booting.

However, I checked and prior versions of Kosmos (in 2018Dec) do include code like "secmon=modules/required/exosphere.bin" implying that Kosmos was messing with Atmosphere's modules prior to "fss0=" and that "fss0=" loading syntax for launching fusee-secondary was simply a continuation of that.

So, does that mean that Hekate always supported loading extra modules, but not necessarily booting through fusee-secondary until /sept/ was also required for OFW 7.0.0 or are /sept/ and "fss0=" unrelated?

13. FanNintendo
    This message by FanNintendo has been removed from public view by x65943, May 13, 2020, Reason: ad hominem.
    May 13, 2020
  14. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My understanding was that reboot_payload.bin *should* be the same as the payload you inject, if you want reboot to payload to work as expected. On vanilla atmosphere that is fusee-primary, on kosmos it is hekate, which is a payload with far more features.

angelo93 likes this.
  15. FanNintendo
    This message by FanNintendo has been removed from public view by x65943, May 13, 2020, Reason: ad hominem.
    May 13, 2020
  16. angelo93

angelo93 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for the answer! I should've figured since that logically makes sense and the file sizes are the same. Have a good one!

17. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Just hope I didn't cause this with my postings...

I really liked Kosmos however with the newer firmware (10.0.x) and patches, Kosmos does not play nice with some apps and sysmodules.

I went from Atmosphere/Hekate 9.2.0 to Kosmos/Hetake 9.2.0 and now on vanilla Atmosphere/Fusee 10.0.2 in under a months time (have a lot of free time with this pandemic).

Just testing the waters since I'm still new to the Switch hacking scene.

18. Sinon
    This message by Sinon has been removed from public view by x65943, May 13, 2020, Reason: reply to trashed post.
    May 13, 2020
  19. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    Please keep it civil guys, I'm asking again

peteruk and Patxinco like this.
  20. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Vietnam
    The problem is that people think any FW that can't access Tinfoil HGB shop is obsolete

Take away Tinfoil and all the custom firmware offer the same thing which is homebrew and backups.

Just go with whatever is working the best for the things you want to do

Ghost92 likes this.
  21. Naxster

Naxster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Dam, that's actually sad... I mean even in the gaming community, people have become more and more toxic to eachother instead of helping :/

22. ZachyCatGames

United States
    Prior to fss0, kosmos just had all the Atmosphere kips and secmon binary in some folder and specified them in the hekate config file. They switched to fss0 because it's easier to maintain/use (one file vs like 7, and using it made compiling AMS no longer a requirement for booting AMS via hekate) and has the exact same end result (only difference is the kips, secmon and lp0fw are grabbed from fusee-secondary.bin at the offsets specified in fusee secondary's header instead of grabbing them from whatever directory on the sd card).
    And they used it instead of payload=whatever.bin because it gives you the advantages of booting with hekate (namely, faster boot times, modern hekate is significantly faster than fusee has ever been/will be), and Kosmos/Sdfile's thing has always been booting using hekate ;)

The tinfoil shit has something to do with hekate's different patching system & blawar not liking it for whatever reason. Or something like that, I don't know (or care)

23. regnad

regnad Button Masher

I need to move on from Kosmos myself now.

Is there a reason to use Atmosphere/Fusee primary instead of chainloading Hekate? Wouldn’t using Hekate give you more options?

24. Tokiwa

Tokiwa GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Instead of chainloading with hekate why not just push fusee-primary directly? The end result is the same, i personally only push hekate when i need to boot stock or backup/restore my nand.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Kosmos,