Korean Wii games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sho0tyz, Sep 4, 2008.

Sep 4, 2008

Korean Wii games by sho0tyz at 8:31 PM (7,083 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. sho0tyz
    OP

Newcomer sho0tyz Member

Korea, South
    What's the status of Korean Wii games these days? I have downloaded several Korean Wii ISO files and I have a Japanese Wii. So far I can't get any of them to work. I've tried regionfrii with no luck. Is there anything I can do with trucha or other software?

There doesn't seem to be much information at all on Korean Wii hacking etc anywhere on the internet (even korean sites). Any help would be much appreciated.

2. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    They use different "common key" so there is (currently, and problably never be) a method to play them...

3. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    try Gecko OS?

4. sho0tyz
    OP

Newcomer sho0tyz Member

Korea, South
    I have tried gecko, but it doesn't work.

I have also heard about the key difference. The odd thing is... the new mod chips that are out now for the Korean Wii can play American and Japanese games. How is this possible? It seems that someone has gotten it to work one way... why can't we get it to work the other way?

5. Dack

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    There is a byte in the disc partition header for Wii games that specifies which common key to use.

Korean Wiis have both keys, other Wiis only have the one - this means they can play both types of discs while original Wiis cannot play the second type.

Now if someone with a Korean Wii would install the Twilight hack and then run the key grab program from hackmii, the key will become available.

6. sho0tyz
    OP

Newcomer sho0tyz Member

Korea, South
    The Korean Key is now available.

http://hackmii.com/2008/09/korean-wii/

I was able to use the key to open up a korean disc image in trucha signer. It worked and I can see all of the partitions and files on the disc. Now my question is.... how do i re-sign the image with the non-korean key so I can play the game on my Japanese Wii? Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I've never really used trucha before. Is this even possible?

7. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    you must reencrypt and then resign it. There is no tool for reencrypting disc images.

8. Dack

United Kingdom
    You can do it but it is a bit of a nause.

You need to extract the seperate partitions of the disc using the korean key, change the byte 0x1f1 in the partition ticket, sign the ticket, then re-insert the partition into a blank disc image using the normal common key.

Trucha will not allow you to do it but cediars tools might (and some of the tools I've got here allow it).

9. sho0tyz
    OP

Newcomer sho0tyz Member

Korea, South
    In one of the comments at hackmii someone claims to have done it, but I don't understand the process.

Can anyone explain this?

10. Dack

United Kingdom
    Download the following files:

1. Wiiscrubber 1.30 from here on the downloads link (1.31 has a bug with the partition.bin file)
    2. The partition.bin editor beta I wrote http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L5GR2TKG

Re-Edited as I realise what I said wouldn't work after the first edit.

Copy the ISO so you will have a backup if anything goes wrong.

1. Load Wiiscrubber with the Korean Key contained in key.bin, load the ISO
    2. Extract the data partition from the disc (right click on it and select Extract)
    3. Open Wiiscrubber with the usual common key and load the second ISO
    4. Delete the data partition (right click, delete partition). Then right click on Wiidisc and IMPORT PARTITION, select the partition you extracted earlier
    5. wait for a long while. It will reparse when finished.
    6. Right click on the partition.bin file in the data partition and extract it
    7. Use the editor software to load the extracted partition.bin, Select the ticket tab, the Korean Key will be set to TRUE. Change it to FALSE. Click on Update and then click sign. Then save from the bottom left save option on the main window.
    8. In Wiiscrubber right click on partition.bin and select "replace". Choose the file you just changed.

You can now repeat with the update partition (or just delete it from the second ISO).

ISO should then work but will need to be run from Gecko due to the signing.
    (As the discs are now "Trucha" signed they will not work in the updated 3.3 (but thats like all fake signed discs)).

All the post editing was necessary as I realised what was wrong with the different versions I was telling you to try and highlights that I need to change the editing software to cater for the korean key switch avoiding the need to recrypt the entire partition.

11. sho0tyz
    OP

Newcomer sho0tyz Member

Korea, South
    I have been trying this method for the past few days and I haven't been able to make it work. I followed all of the steps but I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have tried 3 different games and I always get the same error. The error pops up as soon as I insert the disc, it doesn't wait for me to start the game. I have firmware 3.2J and other trucha signed discs work without any problems. I have also tried starting gecko with no disc in the drive and inserting it just before I push the start button but it just results in a black screen. I will post an image of the error. Can anyone explain what it means or tell me how I can avoid it?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

12. sho0tyz
    OP

Newcomer sho0tyz Member

Korea, South
    It's been a few weeks... Has anyone else tried this? I still have been unable to get this to work. I've followed all of Dack's steps exactly but I always get the error shown above. Anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Are there any updates on a tool that could do the switch automatically?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

13. seoulsoul

Newcomer seoulsoul Newbie

Korea, South
    Hey sho0tyz where did you download those Korean Wii ISO files from? Would appreciate it if you could lemme know.

14. CasperH

CasperH Newbie

Download AnyRegion Changer M5 (is in the softmii package). Run that and if it asks something about Korean disc support accept it (this will brick wad installations!)

15. dizzydevil111

Newcomer dizzydevil111 Newbie

South Africa
    hi
    i have a korean wii and i have managed to change it to a pal one with 3.2e installed
    i am still having issues with backup launcher
    it works through the homebrew channel but i cannot seem to get it to work when i install the wad file as a channel on the wii.
    same wad works perfectly on the normal pal wii's
    any help

16. dizzydevil111

Newcomer dizzydevil111 Newbie

South Africa
    hi
    i have a korean wii and i have managed to change it to a pal one with 3.2e installed
    i am still having issues with backup launcher
    it works through the homebrew channel but i cannot seem to get it to work when i install the wad file as a channel on the wii.
    same wad works perfectly on the normal pal wii's
    any help