Knights in the Nightmare help thread

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by PuyoDead, Jun 6, 2009.

Jun 6, 2009
  1. PuyoDead
    OP

Member PuyoDead Hey! Hey! Oh!

United States
    I figured this complicated game could use a help thread, so here goes. I myself am only to the 7th scene, but I think I'm doing fairly well. So, ask away for any gameplay/story help, and we'll do what we can to help.

2. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I agree. This is definitely a game that can be confounding. I ran through each of the First Timer tutorials and many of the regular ones, but once I started the first mission, I couldn't kill a single monster. I eventually tried different weapons and got past the first mission, but I honestly don't know why.

Which brings me to my first question: what's the connection there? They tell you to highlight enemies to learn about their attributes, but they offer no hint as to what elements are weak against what. I'm not clear why certain weapons show a 100% or 200% mark over enemies when I fully charge my gauge and why other time I just do attacks that garner 1 or 2 points of dmg. That's what's got me stumped right now.

3. DARKSHIDARA

Newcomer DARKSHIDARA Advanced Member

United States
    same here irpacynot no matter the weapon i chose the damage done is 2 anyone got any ideas as how can we do more damage??

4. PuyoDead
    OP

United States
    Really, element is good for doing extra damage, but I've not found it necessary for killing everything. As for the percentage, make sure the enemy is right in the path of your attack. Look for the colored tiles, or the bottom screen to see exactly where it will hit. Also, try to use weapons that are close to your unit's level. Oh, and of course, make sure the attack is charged up.

5. ZeroTm

Member ZeroTm GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I donĀ“t really think the game is complicated. Once you get the things in the first step tutorial the game will be easy. And you win if you fill 1 line on the bottom screen kill indicator. The colors there show which monster you have to knock out. Then the roulette comes make sure that you choose the right monster to fill out the kill marker to get more exp.

6. dragonbladerxx1

Member dragonbladerxx1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    U'll get used to it like me.

7. PuyoDead
    OP

United States
    Take note of your turns, that's the amount of rounds you have to fill a line on that kill counter. When your timer in the upper left runs out, that ends a turn. But, you may want to drag it out and use all your turns on purpose. For one, try to damage/destroy every object on the stage. If you touch them in the setup screen, it will tell you if a key item is inside. That's the best way to recruit as many people and get as many weapons as possible. Also, killing more enemies than required is good for more EXP and weapons.

8. vgshaman

Newcomer vgshaman Member

United States
    Weapons don't do much damage. It's the skills that matter. You only do like 2 damage because you are using the weapon, which you use to get crystals so that you can use the skills.

9. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    How many turns does it take to break the chest for the 1st level

10. Isabelyes

Member Isabelyes GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Will the story get interesting?
    It takes so bloody long, waiting for a battle, talking again...
    Don't get me wrong, I always read everything there is (Including game manuals etc.), but this story is so...meh.

11. PuyoDead
    OP

United States
    I haven't really figured out any damage formula for objects, I just know you can touch it to see its percentage. Chests and barrels and such just need to be "opened", which is maybe a hit or two. They don't need to be taken to 100% or destroyed. But rocks and bridges and such need more damage to be broken.

As for the story, it's a bit weird. I'm up to scene 8, and it's just starting to really make sense to me. I'm starting to like it, and now that I'm understanding what's going on (and it is a bit cryptic at times), I'm curious to see what's next.

12. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Its a wierd game, i think the general strategy is regular attack monsters until you get a full MP bar, then use a special item skill, then repeat. Its a fun game though, couldnt expect better from the guys who gave us Yggdra Union and Riviera. Cant wait to see the MMO

13. PuyoDead
    OP

United States
    This has been my strategy:

On first getting to the tactics screen (where you pick units and items), I check the names of the units (knights and non-knights), then check my inventory to see if I have any key items for recruiting. If it's a non-knight, they'll give you a weapon (that's all I've got so far). Then I check the placements of chests/boxes/other things to break in relation to the units. Let's say there's a rock next to one. I'll stick a warrior there (or anything else that can hit it) to try to get the item from it. If something is out of range, I try to find a unit that can hit it from a distance, or pick a unit that can move there. Duelists and L. Knights I know so far can move squares (apparently some items can do the same, but I'm yet to see any). Then after a turn, I can try to find something than can hit it from the new spot. After that, it's the usual picking of weapons that match the units and their levels. I don't really concern myself with matching elements much. If I can, cool, but otherwise I don't really bother (unless it's nearing the end of the turns).

First things first, I use my key items to get those out of the way. Sometimes I have so many, that I'm left to only be able to build MP. That's not such a bad thing, really. In battle, I of course do a regular attack (just hold down on the unit and pull a direction) and try to hit as many enemies as possible to build up MP. After that I pick weapons that I hope will do a lovely job of smearing enemies across the board. At the same time, I try to hit as many of those chests/boxes as possible for key items. If I need to move units, I'll do that, too.

After that, it's just a matter of if you want to get all the items on the board (I very rarely can even get them all), or if you just want to kill everything as fast as possible. Just keep in mind, the more you recruit, the more classes you'll have to use all your weapons. And the more enemies you kill, the more weapons you'll earn.

Just remember kids: distribute that EXP between chapters!

14. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Well, I'm gonna have to finish reading the rest of the tutorials and tips, but I'm certainly not ready to give up on this game. For one, it's beautifully crafted, and it plays like no other SRPG. I just completed a couple more battles, and I think I'm actually beginning to get the hang of it. But of course, then there's still like "transoul" that I don't yet understand, so yeah...more reading is a must.

15. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    Keep in mind that breakable items like chests and rocks and grass etc will RESPAWN after a few turns if you fully break them, and may have more Key Items.

This means you have to break every item in the stage twice or even three times to get all key items.

16. aimansss95

Member aimansss95 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i think the height of the enemy also effect the damage
    and i'm having some problem for warriors,hermit and archer tu turn the other way around [​IMG]

for some example, the enemy is behind bonn but i couldn't get it to turn backward
    but if i use l.knights i can turn them with no problem
    help me please

17. PuyoDead
    OP

United States
    Units have a certain way they can face. Holy down on them while you're setting them in the tactics screen, and it'll show. Lance Knights coincidentally are the only ones able to face any direction. And yea, height can change the damage they receive. Also, if you set a trap on the ground, flying units will just pass right over it.

18. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    How do you deploy units? All I can seem to do is replace the units that are already on the battle field, I can't seem to add or move them.

19. PuyoDead
    OP

United States
    You can only replace the ones already there. Think of those spots as potential places to put units. Also, they can only move while in battle, so where they are, they can't be moved to other spots before battle.

20. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Ah, OK. And only certain units can move, like the knight, yeah? So I guess to solve the problem I sometiems have of not having a warrior close enough to break something I have to deploy a knight, move him up the screen to to object, then replace him with a warrior next turn?

I'm not actually finding the game too confusing, although it's pretty hard to see what's going on on the top screen because it tends to be incredibly crowded and the art style means enemies and objects don't stand out from the background very well. It's been pretty easy so far, completing the levels in 3 or 4 turns and never being in any danger of failing in spite of largely ignoring things like strengthening weapons or fusing souls- although I am playing it on easy mode.

As for the story, I haven't got a scooby what's going on, it just seems to be a different set of nobodies, dashing knight, nervous girl, happy shopper, horny tramp etc whittering on about nothing in particular each scene followed by a battle which seemingly has bollock all to do with the story anyway. Hopefully it'll improve but there's no characters so far I give a damn about, everyone just seems like the knight equivilant of the guy in the red uniform from Star Trek.