Hacking Kingston Data Travelers...

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
My 4gb kingston doesn't work without hotswapping from a 256mb kingston.

I don't use the 4gb now though, I have the 256mb in one slot and my 200gb SATA in the other. The 256mb enables the loader to read the SATA drive, so try putting a non-working kingston or whatever in with a working device, to initialise the USB.

I suspect the 4gb would also work if I used the 256mb at the same time. I just didn't try it.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gamer said:
Seems there are a bunch of datatraveler models for each size. For example, I see in a store here for 8GB:
DTI, DT100, DT101, DTIG2
This could be true for any device too, just because you buy a "WD My Passport" (for example) doesn't mean it is exactly the same as all the other products of the same name.
Most companies make some note of different hardware/firmware differences between products of the same model, not all though. Even if a manufacturer does make such note it is not always on the box (so you can differentiate) or advertised by sellers.

I'm not even sure that the Wii isn't a limiting factor to compatibility. It is possible that different model Wii consoles have different hardware that affects it's ability to recognise certain USB devices. Someone else may be able to show whether that is a real concern or not.

Watch out if you are planning to buy a new device for use on the Wii. The wiki compatibility chart or whatever else you've read is no guarantee it will work for you. Many people don't have to switch USB ports or plug in before the Wii is powered to get their device working. That means there is a difference but doesn't explain what it is.

I urge all USB experimenters to check this thread and contribute so that greater compatibility can be achieved for all, hopefully
wink.gif

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
Basically, you find something that will work, which will ask to be partitioned. Then you plug whatever else you want to use in. It will hopefully appear on the screen to be partitioned after you press A.

Then, just keep both plugged in, so the working one initialises the one that doesn't.

xyourmomx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, i've got one that will get recognized, it asks to be partitioned, I plug in the other one that is already partitioned and has 3 games on it (did this via hot swapping)

so I have both plugged in, but when I press A and then press B to go back, its still reading the not formatted one and says no games found. So my question is, how how you using 2 to get it to recognize the non readable one without hot swapping?

xem1x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hedgehogofchaos said:
my 4 GB kingston data traveler works like a charm for the usb loader

unsure.gif
I haven't been able to get mine to work. ( usb subsystem ret-1) no matter what I try, also fails when using any GUI WBFS Tool.

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
xem1x said:
Hedgehogofchaos said:

unsure.gif
I haven't been able to get mine to work. ( usb subsystem ret-1) no matter what I try, also fails when using any GUI WBFS Tool.

Mine works fine too.... is a DT100/4GB http://www.kingston.com/flash/dt100.asp

I formated it with the WBFS Tool (GUI).

What model is yours?

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gamer said:
I just bought that model today, looks the same, 4GB, DT100 (according to the barcode) so I'll give it a go later and report back.
Didn't get it for USB Loader but will be interesting to see what happens.

Here is the range of Kingston Data Travellers. Quite a few different models available, would be useful to get the part numbers for working/not working ones.
I've tried a 1gb vanilla (as in plain) DT that isn't on the list but looks like the DTI part number series. It didn't work.

helloforum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't get my 16GB to work. I didn't try hot swapping as I don't have anything that works.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gamer said:
Well mine (DT100/4GB) doesn't like it so much.
I tried it as bought straight into the Wii: ret -1
Formatted with wbfs_win_delta: ret -1

Which particular wbfs tool did you use to format it?

xem1x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamer said:
xem1x said:
Hedgehogofchaos said:

unsure.gif

What model is yours?

Same; DT100/4GB

I will attempt to format with a GUI, but I don't think that worked last time. But I do have a 320GB external drive that works in the meantime.

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hmmm, if the same exact model doesn't work for all, then there's a problem with the way you format here (or at least I guess so).

Well... first, my USB Drive was on FAT32. Then I formated to WBFS it with the wbfs_win (delta) GUI (can't find a link now lol, there's seems to be a lot of topics right now). Anyway, it's the INIT comand from that port.

Then I added the ISO normally with the same tool. In this case, i tried AC-CF and worked fine. Gets recognized and runs fine.

You could also try to format to WBFS with this GUI:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=145337&st=0

I think that's a GUI for the Win-Cygwin port (the first one it came out), so try that too if the other port doesn't work. Make sure you are on FAT32 before, just in case.

Report back your results!

Cheers!

BlindDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just my two cents..

Wii with SM 4.0 patched ios60, with ciosrev9(the one with the metal music in the background) and USBLoader v1.1

Kingston Datatraveler DT1/8GB

Stuck the kingston stick in my pc... made note of the drive letter. Erased everything on the drive.

Used Waninkoko's Windows WBFS GUI tool. Selected my drive letter, it took a few seconds then it was ready(i didnt have to click on "Dar Formato", loaded an iso from my pc, clicked copiar or whatever it says,, lol. Put 8 or 9 games on the flash stick.

Plugged my stick into the wii while it was ON. Laying on its side,, The BOTTOM usb jack.

installed wii ish usbloader channel and launched it.. Games play perfect.. FAST loading No problems yet.

Erased some games and used my flatmii to install some more from the wii.... WORKS GREAT BOTH WAYS!

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gamer said:
Hmmm, if the same exact model doesn't work for all, then there's a problem with the way you format here (or at least I guess so).I'm not as convinced as you on that. There may still be a difference between the products with the same model name and there could be a difference in the Wii consoles that effects what it will read.
QUOTE said:
Well... first, my USB Drive was on FAT32. Then I formated to WBFS it with the wbfs_win (delta) GUI (can't find a link now lol, there's seems to be a lot of topics right now). Anyway, it's the INIT comand from that port.I used the "wbfs_win_delta" wbfs tool from command line. I think we used the same thing to format in the same way, the GUI you used would have just run the same command I did.
QUOTE said:
Then I added the ISO normally with the same tool. In this case, i tried AC-CF and worked fine. Gets recognized and runs fine.
I added an iso through that tool too (Wii Music) but I never got to see it on the Wii. Other devices have worked fine this way.QUOTE
You could also try to format to WBFS with this GUI:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=145337&st=0
I think that's a GUI for the Win-Cygwin port (the first one it came out), so try that too if the other port doesn't work. Make sure you are on FAT32 before, just in case.
I may give the cyqwin build a go but I'm not expecting much.

I think the main point here is that the same model of USB Mass storage device has been formatted and prepared the same way and it has worked with one Wii and not another.

If there is a specific test you'd like me to do on my DT100/4GB please let me know and I'll try accommodate.

xem1x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no dice with my 4GB DataTraveler.

I have even tried to load an ISO onto it via a windows GUI, with no success. It will start to load, then freeze randomly and then throws an error in the wfbs_win, then the GUI wont recognize the drive at all until I format it again.

But my 320GB external HD works with this method. Stumped

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Keshire said:
Use lsUSB to get the vendor ID and any other differences for compatibility purposes.
USB compatability - help improve CIOS usb support
I've tried several methods to get my 8gig to work with no success.Yes, great idea Keshire. I will add it to my list of devices to report there, got another couple to lsUSB that I haven't yet.
If anyone else with a DT100/4GB that does work could do the same (Gamer I'm looking at you) I'd think that would be pretty useful.

**edit**
Here is some info on my non working device pulled from chipgenius (download link is bottom left of page) USB recognising software.
CODEDevice Name: +[I:]+USB Mass Storage Device(Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Device)

PnP Device ID: VID = 0951 PID = 1607
Serial Number: 001372982F94A921361B0050
Revision: 1.00

Device Type: Standard USB device - USB2.0 High-Speed

Chip Vendor: skymedi
Chip Part-Number: SK6211

Product Vendor: (N/A)
Product Model: SK6281
I'll lsUSB it on the Wii later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat