Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded DS gameplay video

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is a remake of an episodic Japanese cell phone game called Kingdom Hearts Coded. It covers events occurring after Kingdom Hearts 2, but delves into the data memories of Jimminy Cricket's journal entries from the first two Kingdom Hearts games. He is investigating a mysterious message he doesn't remember writing and King Mickey decides to decode the journal into data on a computer for better viewing. Finding many anomalies and mysteries that shouldn't be there, King Mickey decides to create a data projection of Sora (who appears in his Kingdom Hearts 1 attire). This data Sora revisits worlds and finds strange new people and events that never originally occurred. That's the purpose behind Re:Coded, to discover the mystery of the journal's strange messages and anomalies. The message in Jimminy's journal reads- Their hurting will be mended when you return to end it.

The first gameplay video has been made available on the official website for the game. Previously, we only had off screen footage from the trailer shown at E3 which was very low quality. Now enjoy a direct feed of some of the battle gameplay-

Re:Coded is a full remake of the cell phone game. Coded originally only used sprites for the characters, but Re:Coded is fully 3D and appears to be based on the engine graphics and gameplay engine established with Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. In addition to that, the gameplay has been overhauled to include some elements from the PSP game, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. You may notice the new deck command menu which is from BBS. That's completely new to the remake. Commands can be used with the X button, and the L button apparently scrolls through a list of available commands. There are a lot of new attack commands in the remake. You still have your normal commands such as attack, jump, and dodge though. Camera control has been simplified and now seems to take one view most of the time, though you can apparently rotate it to the left and right somewhat. According to a recent interview with the creator, the remake will also incorporate various leveling aspects from 358/2 Days as well, such as the panel leveling system. [/p]
More videos should be up soon as the website becomes more complete. Needless to say, a lot of effort is being put into this remake. The gameplay is completely streamlined and far surpasses the cell phone title. Not much about the story is intended to be changed, but the gameplay should be very refreshing at least. Re:Coded is being developed by h.a.n.d who also did the previous Kingdom Hearts game on DS. They know how to make a good looking 3D DS game and also know how to replicate the gameplay of the series.

Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is due out this fall in Japan. No word on a US date, but we have seen some English screenshots already, so a US release is confirmed and will probably follow fairly soon after (perhaps this year).

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/kingdom/recoded/

N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait it looks so cool
blush.gif

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jolan said:
...The graphics look uglier than in 358/2, who would want to play this game?
Do you know that screenshot is from the phone version and is an upscaled? The vid doesn't look so bad to me either :S

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Is it just me who think that menu-ish strip on the lower left of the screen blocks the vision tooo much? The first enemies that appear: One of them hides behind the block of... menu items?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arp1 said:
Jolan said:
...The graphics look uglier than in 358/2, who would want to play this game?
Do you know that screenshot is from the phone version and is an upscaled? The vid doesn't look so bad to me either :S
No, the screen i posted is from the DS version. It is upscaled more than the original resolution though, it's all i could find at the time. The phone version uses rather ugly sprites for all the characters and enemies. The camera is overhead too.

Still, i don't see how people can call this ugly considering the system's limitations. It will look better on a real DS, but it actually looks identical to Days, so it beats me how people can say it looks worse (same engine and all)... It's a good looking 3D game as far as DS games go. Here's a comparison between Days and Re:Coded in their correct resolutions-

codeddays.png

For reference, the original Coded on phones-

943348_20080808_screen001.jpg

Besides, you have to love the mentality that a game has to look amazing to be enjoyable.

dobz

Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
Still, i don't see how people can call this ugly considering the system's limitations. It will look better on a real DS, but it actually looks identical to Days, so it beats me how people can say it looks worse (same engine and all)... It's a good looking 3D game as far as DS games go.

Besides, you have to love the mentality that a game has to look amazing to be enjoyable.
Fanboys will always find something to bitch about no matter what.
They're probably just buthurt by the fact it's on the DS, nothing more, which is why they can't find an adequate reason for saying so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: