Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded DS gameplay video

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Jul 9, 2010.

Jul 9, 2010
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is a remake of an episodic Japanese cell phone game called Kingdom Hearts Coded. It covers events occurring after Kingdom Hearts 2, but delves into the data memories of Jimminy Cricket's journal entries from the first two Kingdom Hearts games. He is investigating a mysterious message he doesn't remember writing and King Mickey decides to decode the journal into data on a computer for better viewing. Finding many anomalies and mysteries that shouldn't be there, King Mickey decides to create a data projection of Sora (who appears in his Kingdom Hearts 1 attire). This data Sora revisits worlds and finds strange new people and events that never originally occurred. That's the purpose behind Re:Coded, to discover the mystery of the journal's strange messages and anomalies. The message in Jimminy's journal reads- Their hurting will be mended when you return to end it.

The first gameplay video has been made available on the official website for the game. Previously, we only had off screen footage from the trailer shown at E3 which was very low quality. Now enjoy a direct feed of some of the battle gameplay-

Re:Coded is a full remake of the cell phone game. Coded originally only used sprites for the characters, but Re:Coded is fully 3D and appears to be based on the engine graphics and gameplay engine established with Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. In addition to that, the gameplay has been overhauled to include some elements from the PSP game, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. You may notice the new deck command menu which is from BBS. That's completely new to the remake. Commands can be used with the X button, and the L button apparently scrolls through a list of available commands. There are a lot of new attack commands in the remake. You still have your normal commands such as attack, jump, and dodge though. Camera control has been simplified and now seems to take one view most of the time, though you can apparently rotate it to the left and right somewhat. According to a recent interview with the creator, the remake will also incorporate various leveling aspects from 358/2 Days as well, such as the panel leveling system. [/p]
    More videos should be up soon as the website becomes more complete. Needless to say, a lot of effort is being put into this remake. The gameplay is completely streamlined and far surpasses the cell phone title. Not much about the story is intended to be changed, but the gameplay should be very refreshing at least. Re:Coded is being developed by h.a.n.d who also did the previous Kingdom Hearts game on DS. They know how to make a good looking 3D DS game and also know how to replicate the gameplay of the series.

Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is due out this fall in Japan. No word on a US date, but we have seen some English screenshots already, so a US release is confirmed and will probably follow fairly soon after (perhaps this year).

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/kingdom/recoded/

2. N4RU70 FR34K

Banned N4RU70 FR34K Banned

United States
    I can't wait it looks so cool [​IMG]

3. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    Looks pretty overpowered. And awesome. Seems like you can do hella lot of combos and damage.

4. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    This looks awesome. Gameplay looks just like 358/2 Days.

5. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    Looks like the same engine as 358/2 Days, can't wait.
    This.
    Game.
    Will.
    Be.
    AWESOME!

6. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I hate Sora but I'll love this game *-*
    As much as I loved 358/2

7. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    Combat looks really nice, much flashier than that of 358/2.
    I like it.

8. Alex666

Member Alex666 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    DO WANT!
    release date? anybody? [​IMG] xD

9. MegaAce™

Member MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Germany
    Well, it is the same game/graphics engine.

10. granville
    OP

United States
    Like i said, it's planned for a fall 2010 release in Japan. No word on a US release, although we know it's happening due to this screenshot-

[​IMG]

11. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    It seems to me like a slower BBS running on 358/2's engine.
    Too early too say if that's a bad thing or not, but I am still interested in this.

12. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    ...The graphics look uglier than in 358/2, who would want to play this game?

13. PrinceNOOB

Member PrinceNOOB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Agreed.

14. Arp1

Member Arp1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you know that screenshot is from the phone version and is an upscaled? The vid doesn't look so bad to me either :S

15. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    I never said I was talking about the screenshot, I meant the video.

16. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Is it just me who think that menu-ish strip on the lower left of the screen blocks the vision tooo much? The first enemies that appear: One of them hides behind the block of... menu items?

17. granville
    OP

United States
    No, the screen i posted is from the DS version. It is upscaled more than the original resolution though, it's all i could find at the time. The phone version uses rather ugly sprites for all the characters and enemies. The camera is overhead too.

Still, i don't see how people can call this ugly considering the system's limitations. It will look better on a real DS, but it actually looks identical to Days, so it beats me how people can say it looks worse (same engine and all)... It's a good looking 3D game as far as DS games go. Here's a comparison between Days and Re:Coded in their correct resolutions-

[​IMG]

For reference, the original Coded on phones-

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Besides, you have to love the mentality that a game has to look amazing to be enjoyable.

18. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    at least they are making two for the ds

19. pillsbury15

Newcomer pillsbury15 Newbie

United States
    just like in 358 it seems u dont do much damage

20. dobz

Member dobz GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Fanboys will always find something to bitch about no matter what.
    They're probably just buthurt by the fact it's on the DS, nothing more, which is why they can't find an adequate reason for saying so.