OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
primesense-demo1.jpg
kinect1.jpg
From MTV Multiplayer via Engadget said:
Microsoft pulled Kinect out of the box at E3 this year to show off its new camera-based, controllerless technology, but PrimeSense, the company who crafted the sensors inside plan on spreading their know-how to other devices in the next year.

Some HTPCs will be getting the new tech by the end of 2010, and at least one cable company wants it in a gesture-controlled box by summer 2011, according PrimeSense VP Adi Berenson, who spoke with Engadget. PrimeSense's master plan, however, involved standardizing their gesture controls across the entertainment industry, so you may hear about other appearances in the near future.

If you're saying to yourself, "Well, great! Now I don't need to put down the rumored $150 that Microsoft looks like they're going to want for Kinect," don't do that. That would be like assuming because TV's were shipping with joysticks on their remote controls you wouldn't need to by an Xbox controller.

These developments do mean that you might be able to look forward to nearly effortless on-command rewinding and replays through your DVR and TV, like Microsoft showed off with their ESPN demo at E3. I, for one, would like Kinect controls on my alarm clock so that I don't have to reach across the bed to hit the snooze button. That would be excellent.
Source
Engadget's article

no more losing my remote
smileipb2.png

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Voice controlled, gesture controlled TV?
DO NOT WANT. I don't even want that crap on my xbox.
You wouldn't want to turn the T.Vs off ,change the channel,or anything else on the T.Vs with just your voice or hand without they problems of losing the remote?
unsure.gif

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
From the Engadget articleLike Kinect, these solutions will have a pair of 640 x 480 camera sensors to measure user position in 3D space, but don't expect them to have motorized tilt functionality or voice recognition -- PrimeSense said it won't be able to make those available for manufacturers, as they're all Microsoft ideas.
no, you only get half of that
naughty2.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
RupeeClock said:
You wouldn't want to turn the T.Vs off ,change the channel,or anything else on the T.Vs with just your voice or hand without they problems of losing the remote?
unsure.gif
No because I prefer a little something called tactile response.
TV remotes work, Kinect will impede you more than you think.
Good luck configuring all your TV settings by waving your arms about, trying to figure out the best colour settings and crap.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how do you channel surf via voice? i imagine it can get very irritating. i don't think gestures are for me, i tend to wrap myself in a blanket and don't like to take my hands out.

my other concern would be, will this device be able to operate all my devices attached to the tv or will i still need (ie) the stereo controller to change the input source for sound?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
how do you channel surf via voice? i imagine it can get very irritating. i don't think gestures are for me, i tend to wrap myself in a blanket and don't like to take my hands out.

my other concern would be, will this device be able to operate all my devices attached to the tv or will i still need (ie) the stereo controller to change the input source for sound?
Maybe it be like "(name off the system) surf channels" and then when you want it to stop then u say " (name off the system) stop there" or something
nyanya.gif

And the device/system would be universal to operate everything connected to the T.V?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
nando said:

Maybe it be like "(name off the system) surf channels" and then when you want it to stop then u say " (name off the system) stop there" or something
nyanya.gif

And the device/system would be universal to operate everything connected to the T.V?

in a perfect world it would operate everything, but that seldom happens. many devices rely on infrared input for certain controls and have minimal in console controls. i just don't see how kinect could controls these device.

edit: if they have a good solution, i'd love to see it, but as of right now i don't see it allowing many people to get rid of all remotes.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like yet another gadget that you just go "HEY GUYS LOOK WHAT I CAN DO" but in the end is an expensive and useless feature. I can just use a remote and probably save myself a nice pile of cash.

Don't want to lose your remote? Go buy one of those stupid things that you sling over the couch arm that holds your TV guides and remotes and magazines.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
no more losing my remote
smileipb2.png
What if the cameras/sensors break?

No interest in this at all, more than happy with a remote and save money.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
this is a stupid idea say if your watching the world cup and you get really angry cos your team is losing you put your hands up and start waving them around like you do when your team is losing (shut up you've done it i know you have) and all of a sudden boom the channel changes
laugh.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
this is a stupid idea say if your watching the world cup and you get really angry cos your team is losing you put your hands up and start waving them around like you do when your team is losing (shut up you've done it i know you have) and all of a sudden boom the channel changes
laugh.gif
When it perfected I'm sure it can tell from "putting your hands in the air like you just don't care" from actual hand commands.
laugh.gif

At a point you have to say the system name then do hand/voice commands...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi