Kickstarter campaign for customizable GameCube controller goes live, reaches $700,000 in funding

The GameCube controller is one of the most classic gamepads, but some feel that it's lacking in certain aspects. That's why a company has taken to Kickstarter, in order to create the ultimate modernized, competitive-friendly GameCube controller. Called the Panda Controller, it features improvements upon Nintendo's creation, such as a tactile d-pad, wireless connectivity, customizable triggers, an expansion pack, and swappable internals. In a video that showcases the Panda Controller, it's advertised as being easily taken apart in order to use new shells that change the grip or buttons. It's usable with modern platforms as well as the original GameCube. The Panda Controller is currently available on Kickstarter, with the $90 tier netting you the gamepad itself, which is scheduled to launch in December 2022.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unless People are into Competitive Smash, or just a hardcore GC Collector .. I would say pass..
Granted its cheaper then a lot of premodded GC controllers ..

Last edited by djpannda,
  • Sad
Reactions: ChibiMofo

DarthMotzkus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

The GameCube controller is one of the most classic gamepads, but some feel that it's lacking in certain aspects. That's why a company has taken to Kickstarter, in order to create the ultimate modernized, competitive-friendly GameCube controller. Called the Panda Controller, it features improvements upon Nintendo's creation, such as a tactile d-pad, wireless connectivity, customizable triggers, an expansion pack, and swappable internals. In a video that showcases the Panda Controller, it's advertised as being easily taken apart in order to use new shells that change the grip or buttons. It's usable with modern platforms as well as the original GameCube. The Panda Controller is currently available on Kickstarter, with the $90 tier netting you the gamepad itself, which is scheduled to launch in December 2022.

Will it be compatible with game cube/wii native consoles?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This looks fantastic.
However, the only thing which they don't mention, and would be a definitive purchase for me...

Will these controllers have "gates" so that we can replace the Gamecube's default C-Stick and D-Pad with a normally sized D-Pad and normally sized C-Stick?
Those are the only two things I really didn't like about the original GC controller, and I hope this Kickstarter campaign takes into consideration, for those that didn't like the tiny D-Pad/C-Stick of the original.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I find the GameCube controller the most comfortable controller out there, and this thing is wireless, has extra buttons and additional customization, on top of the comfyness. I will follow its career with great interest.

Reactions: x65943

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Weird they never mentioned the c-stick even once.

Anytime I see a cube controller discussion people usually point out they're not a fan of the c-stick or the octagonal surround.

Would much rather a standard second stick or standard circular gate

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I dislike about the OG GC pad is the dpad, and the one on this certainly doesn't look like enough of an improvement to make it worth my while.
Even though it's not for me, I hope they're still able to replicate the action of the triggers from the OEM - I know that most other GC pads have struggled to come close in that regard.

Reactions: orangy57

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
watch the kickstarter fall by nintendo's hand, 3rd party controllers had some sort of licensing agreement with nintendo (even though officially not endorsed) only exception is cheat devices (could be wrong though)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want a GC controller with the following

- Bluetooth
- Rumble
- Gyro
- Analog triggers

That's IT! I ONLY use GameCube styled controllers and a unit with these features would at least put the GC controller on par with Sony and Microsoft's offerings.

Last edited by LightyKD,
Reactions: Guacaholey

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
not for me, as I play mostly 2D games, but this thing is amazing.

I hope they succeed, so more brands embrace the idea of extremely customizable controllers like this one.

Let's remember that mini PCs like the deck may become mainstream, and as they are dockcable, PC gamers will be much more prone to buy controllers, so I believe in the future demand for those things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Switching my home routing/firewall solution from pfsense to OPNsense. Boy how I hate networking...