[Kickstarter] Animerica: Japanophilia in America

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Heran Bago, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Heran Bago
    OP

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    [​IMG]

A friend of mine (warning, this is a "my friend" kickstarter) is a film student looking to fund a big project. Most normal people don't watch anime or understand what the its weird fan base is. A lot of people just plain don't know about that huge community and are baffled when they see convention goers. This documentary attempts to demystify the hole thing in an educational documentary.

While Japanophilia is the main topic it will inevitably touch on other things conventions are about like comics and the horrors of MLP and homestuck.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/637668928/animerica-japanophilia-in-america

Read the kick starter page, my summary really doesn't do it justice. Here's the page's preamble for those too lazy to even click the link.

Their goal of $40,000 is ambitious but I don't think it's unrealistic.

2. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    So it's literally Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony but for Anime. It shouldn't have to exist. Either of them. People should just get over what their friends/families like that they don't

3. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Lack of character is an epidemic in the teenage population. It's the reason for some but not all suicides and most school shootings.

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Obligatory ForeverPandering video goes here.

Besides, after watching how spectacularly Bronycon: The Documentary imploded, why would you want to follow in their footsteps?

gamefan5, king_leo, Sicklyboy and 3 others like this.
  5. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States

It's not as much of an apology as it is insight on the culture/fanbase.

Considering how interesting these things are decades afterwards there's no reason why something like this should or shouldn't exist.

6. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    That video is perfect for this thread and my original point.

And the video's original point was spot-on: A documentary is supposed to be unbiased, not just trying to show how good/bad something and/or a group is

7. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    so... people needs documentaries to justify their retarded obsessions
    I spend all day watching videos of 6 years old girls having sex with dogs... please make a documentary about it so I can feel good about myself

8. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    You lost me at "MLP".

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Basically. Weirdos.

gamefan5 likes this.
  10. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    "I like anime and everyone who disagrees with me should feel bad and this is why."

How about

"I like anime and I'll discuss it with other people who also like anime and anyone else can piss off because they don't care and I don't care."

I like anime. My friend likes anime, even more so than I do. If I find a good one I'll tell him, and I'll tell a few friends who I think might be interested. Then I'll continue to live my life whether they care or not.

Just don't go all "Desu desu so kawaii~~~" on me because it's fucking annoying.

EZ-Megaman and gamefan5 like this.
  11. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    This may sound off-topic, but could anyone direct me to stories of successful kickstarter projects?

edit: and by successful I dont mean they achieved their targeted money. I mean that they completed their project with smiling, happy customers.

12. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

Well, one I funded plans to start shipping the final product on 10/10/13. And so far I am pleased by everything I have seen and that has been promised... I'll get back to you on that lol.

13. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I backed this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/judge-dredd-miniatures-game-block-war, and I am smiling and happy, and my Dredd miniature is scowling proudly on my shelf.

This one is also moving along nicely, production is well underway and the first shipments are already out and in backers' hands, so it looks to be an example of smiling, happy customers too.

14. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    How about the Oculus Rift?

Veho likes this.
  15. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    People are basically paying to see a documentary about Anime in America? Jesus fucking Christ, a documentary about people liking whats regarded as a form of television, what am I going to learn from this? I want to know how this goes down, do they make it out to be a struggle? Like, "Oh it's hard going to school, people don't understand me, I cut myself while kissing my haruhi pillow". Either way, the fact that people are supporting this is beyond me.

16. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Dunno.

17. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    I don.... What? At least that had a more comical side, and wasn't actually serious like "japanophilia in America". (Unless I took it the wrong way)

If you are using that because a main point of Trekkies is "to show fans of Star Trek from outside the United States" is irrelevant, because, unlike Star Trek, fans of anime around the world are basically the same. I know people here who legitimately sleep with an "Index" Pillow. The audience of anime is mainly accepted by people, I don't see how it's a "diverse subculture that remains largely unknown and misunderstood".

To each his own, I suppose.

18. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    No, that's "Trekkies 2". The first one is a documentary about Star Trek fans in the US.

I used "Trekkies" as an example because it follows pretty much the same formula as the proposed Animerica documentary (so if you want to see what Animerica might look like, watch Trekkies to get a general idea), and there are a lot of parallels between their respective themes. Subculture? Check. Fandom? Check. Conventions? Costumes? Check. Negative social stigmata? Check. Despite the popularity, the knowledge of the general populace about them boils down to one or two stereotypes? Check (at the time of filming at least; the recent movies changed the public view of Trek somewhat). Yes, there are people who legitimately sleep with an "Index" pillow. There are people who own an inflatable Counselor Troi doll. What are you going to learn from it? Maybe nothing. But an average viewer might find out a thing or two.

19. The_Hulkster

The_Hulkster GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    Maybe it should be called: "We don't understand why people don't like this same stupid thing! LIKE IT!!! Wheeeeeh! :cry: "

I love documentaries, but to make an interesting documentary and show all aspects and different opinions, the documentary has to be unbiased.
    This thing is far from being unbiased.

They actually assume people who don't know what anime is therefore don't like it.
    Ever thought about how many people do know what anime is but just don't care for it?

This documentary would probably be watched by anime-lovers which is not the target audience.

And, which film student, in his right mind, would need 40K for a documentary.
    This documentary could easily be done with 2% of that! He would probably get a better grade as well, because of the tighter budget.

To sum it up, this kickstarter is ridiculous and so is your friend.

king_leo likes this.
  20. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

FTL, Shadowrun Returns, Cyanide and Happiness, Amanda Palmer (multiple times, in fact), the Pebble E-Watch, Ouya (if you're LightyKD, anyway), etc.

There's nothing wrong with the service, except when people a) don't understand and accept the risks involved with donating, and/or b) believe Kickstarter is a free money machine.