Keyboard recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Mazor, May 15, 2011.

May 15, 2011
  1. Mazor
    OP

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    I'm looking for recommendations on keyboards as I'm planning to get a new one in the next few days.

Generally I've always preferred older and/or cheaper keyboards over the ones that are a bit more expensive. I really don't want to waste money on useless stuff like backlit keys and LCD-displays. I also don't want anything wireless.

When it comes to the keys, I hate "slow" keys (as in keys that offer lots of resistance when pushed down). I want a keyboard that I can type fast as fuck on, preferably while hearing a nice loud key noise (at least I don't want a keyboard advertised as being quiet as if that would be a benefit). While I think resistance while pushing keys down is bad, I want there to be proper resistance when they are pushed down all the way. It shouldn't feel like the other end of the key is touching soft plastics, a feeling I've noticed to be common on newer keyboard models.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    The keyboard I'm typing on now is just like that, and its model number is 5188-6077. Just google that and all kinds of results will pop up, like Amazon. It's an HP Media Center keyboard, but it doesn't have any screen or wasteful buttons, only useful ones like Eject Disc. And they're way off to the right side of the keyboard, so you won't notice them unless you want to.

3. UniqueGeek

Member UniqueGeek PMD Researcher

United States
    I have a Microsoft Confort Curve Keyboard 2000 and it works nicely.
    Not too much resistance, and it doesn't feel like I'm going to break any key unless I really try to.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I'm happy with my Logitech G15. The LCD screen can be very helpful in supported games (and it seems most games are supported these days).

5. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Hmmm... sounds like you want the keyboard i want... the apple one... very small, good click while typing, but not much resistance.. go into a store selling apple products (like Mediamarkt or DSstore) and try one out... I love it!

6. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    It may not be a gaming/fancy looking keyboard, but the Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 is seriously awesome, and is a major steal for the price.

-1 Microsoft Confort Curve Keyboard 2000, poorly silkscreened keys with flawed ergonomics. eurgh.

7. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    Always go mechanical with keyboards.

Stop by your local Goodwill and see if they have any IBM Model Ms, those are always a nice find. I'm sure eBay has some too. Buckling springs are mega loud (some love it, some hate it, I love it) and are really good for typing.

If you want to type fast though, may I recommend a keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches? With their tactile feedback, you only have to push halfway on the key for it to register. That way, when you get used to the feel, you can type super fast by only pushing lightly on the keys. Most modern mechanicals come with Browns or Blues, get blues for typing and blacks for gaming. Brown is a hybrid.

Also, try to go for a PS/2 keyboard. You can't get full NKRO with a USB board, meaning that if you press 14+ keys at once, only a few will register. No big deal, and personally I've never had to press that many keys in one stroke, but I guess to some people it's an indication of how good their keyboards are. A common test is to press both shifts and try to type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPED OER HE LA DOG

That's my keyboard, and it's a $6 Lite-on from Newegg. Hoping to pick up a Filco or a Leopold when I get some cash.

EDIT: Slow keys really are just a symptom of an old (membrane) keyboard. Not a problem with mechanicals, as their average lifespan is 10+ years, or at least 50 million actuations.

8. omgdaniel

Newcomer omgdaniel Advanced Member

United States
    ^^^ THIS

Though it's hard to find a good mechanical keyboard for cheap...