Hacking Kenka Bancho 4: The One Year War Translation Project [Help Required!]

PunishedJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Is there any chance you could link a tutorial or maybe make one on how to use the unpackers and the other tools in the file? I want to help but I don't know where to start

BuerHightower

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any chance you could link a tutorial or maybe make one on how to use the unpackers and the other tools in the file? I want to help but I don't know where to start
Sure!

1. Make a backup of your Kenka Bancho 4: Ichinen Sensou clean ISO.
2. Open UMDGen and select the ISO.
3. Go to USRDIR and extract the following .BIN files into your main folder.
1.PNG

4. Go to your main folder, click on the location bar of Windows Explorer, type cmd and press Enter key.
2.PNG

5. Type in KenkaUnpack.py (make sure you have Python installed or it won't work) and wait until the unpacking process is fully done.
3.PNG

4.PNG

6. Once it's done, go to your EX\eventdata\event_scene_000000\event_common\ folder and open DTEventMes.xml via Notepad++, or any other text editor of your choice.
5.PNG

6.PNG

The repacking process is pretty much the same, but in reverse. KB4 has duplicate files and strings, make sure to edit all of them. If you have any certain questions regarding the tools, I'd suggest submitting them to Gil_Unx.

Last edited by BuerHightower,
Reactions: Eleganto and Kyoka

Bulance

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, If you don't mind me asking, is the translation going well? I really hope this project gets completed

swampwater

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did a quick google translate of the exported XML dialogue file. I tried to reattach it to the ISO, but that's apparently WAY above my capabilities! I hope this is of some use. I have a basic grasp of Japanese, and even I can already see that it needs a lot of work. I'll try to chip away at it if I get the time, if anyone wants to do the tech side.

Just change the .txt to .xml.

Attachments

• DTEventMes.txt
    538.6 KB · Views: 71

Peepsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did a quick google translate of the exported XML dialogue file. I tried to reattach it to the ISO, but that's apparently WAY above my capabilities! I hope this is of some use. I have a basic grasp of Japanese, and even I can already see that it needs a lot of work. I'll try to chip away at it if I get the time, if anyone wants to do the tech side.

Just change the .txt to .xml.
GT is great, but I also recommend parsing it through DeepL (PRO/Trial version)
it still misses some certain things, but the fact it recognizes japanese slang and random bantz is already incredible and quite helpful

Hey, If you don't mind me asking, is the translation going well? I really hope this project gets completed
the project still seems to be vacant, as i can't really find any translation groups working on this title anywhere

Last edited by Peepsy,

Peepsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
here's a DeepL translation of DTEventMes.bin
it's mostly readable, but a huge part of it is still gibberish. I also fixed some text dissimilarities, removed some random artifacts and changed EOL parameters in order to match the original .xml file.
but I also can't really recompile the files back, as it throws some weird error about "<" symbol. I bet I missed some symbol that is not compatible with the UTF-8 table, so I need some assistance in finding that.
(the issue has been fixed)

also, I think it is worth mentioning that DTEventMes.xml files in \event_scene_120000\030580\011080\ folders are a bit different sizewise. I suspect they are just different questlines, or something else in that vein.

the only untranslated files left are: DYShopMes.xml / DYPhoneMes.xml / DYMotionEditMes.xml / DNStudentMes.xml / DYPartsMes.xml / DYTankaMes.xml / DYLegendDataMes.xml

Last edited by Peepsy,
Reactions: Ghoul43

richterw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I hope someone able to figure it out gives it a go someday. This amount of progress made, only to hit a wall at repacking the files... is so frustrating.

Peepsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope someone able to figure it out gives it a go someday. This amount of progress made, only to hit a wall at repacking the files... is so frustrating.
is theres any good news?
yep, I figured out what the issue was. Apparently the "»" symbol is not compatible with the UTF-8 table, so I just purged it.
as for now, I am working on the rest of the files and I've asked @Gil_Unx to help me with the stretched font issues. So all in all, things are looking pretty good now.

Reactions: DiWE2

DiWE2

Trophies
XP
Country
France
yep, I figured out what the issue was. Apparently the "»" symbol is not compatible with the UTF-8 table, so I just purged it.
as for now, I am working on the rest of the files and I've asked @Gil_Unx to help me with the stretched font issues. So all in all, things are looking pretty good now.
Great!! keep going!!

DiWE2

Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry but i forget to ask you,
when this project will probably end ?

Peepsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sorry but i forget to ask you,
when this project will probably end ?
yo! so far, only the textures and some hardcoded text, such as aliases, names/surnames and menu lines, remain mostly intact. Everything else has been machine translated, and, yeah, the only major technical issue that remains is the wide font.
and I'm also getting some crashes here and there, but these are probably just confilcting lines and I'll try to identify and fix them soon enough

as for ETA, it's a bit tough to estimate, as the text is in serious need of polishing (6042 lines of partly gibberish (but mostly understandable in general)), and, well, we also need someone who's capable of working with textures
heythere.PNG
who knows.png

Last edited by Peepsy,

Escadora

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Seriously, iam very hyping about this project.. still wondering why this great series doesnt have a localization as like their third game, also gachitora too

Iam really wanna help if iam have a device or experience in this work, btw keep going dude & dont push your self too hard

Last edited by Escadora,
Reactions: Eleganto

Peepsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seriously, iam very hyping about this project.. still wondering why this great series doesnt have a localization as like their third game, also gachitora too

Iam really wanna help if iam have a device or experience in this work, btw keep going dude & dont push your self too hard
hey! yeah the DeepL patch is mostly done, but the major problem is still the game font
apart from being insanely wide, it also interferes with the game cutscenes which then leads to constant crashes. so yeah, if there's anyone who is proficient with variable-width fonts, then your help will be extremely appreciated!
j6r223.png

ld0m97.png

m7ep3r.jpg

Last edited by Peepsy,

tengsusangma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

Will you be able to transport this to PPSSPP? Is there a method you can try to do this? I'm very interested!
Send me the game english patch
Post automatically merged:

yo! so far, only the textures and some hardcoded text, such as aliases, names/surnames and menu lines, remain mostly intact. Everything else has been machine translated, and, yeah, the only major technical issue that remains is the wide font.
and I'm also getting some crashes here and there, but these are probably just confilcting lines and I'll try to identify and fix them soon enough

as for ETA, it's a bit tough to estimate, as the text is in serious need of polishing (6042 lines of partly gibberish (but mostly understandable in general)), and, well, we also need someone who's capable of working with texturesView attachment 373654View attachment 373656
Send me the game please

Hello can anyone send me the game called kenka banchou 4 that you patch english language.please send me i dont understand the japanese language. But still playing these game i enjoy but only problem is language.

Last edited by tengsusangma,

Ghoul43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

Send me the game please

Hello can anyone send me the game called kenka banchou 4 that you patch english language.please send me i dont understand the japanese language. But still playing these game i enjoy but only problem is language.
It seems to me, that English is not your first language, so I'll try to explain in simple terms.
There is no English patch yet. It doesn't exist in completed form.

Reactions: Peepsy and Eleganto

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Send me the game please

Patch isn't out yet.
Also no sharing of pirated games here period.

Reactions: Eleganto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7