Just ordered my ak 2i

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Shadraak, Apr 24, 2009.

Apr 24, 2009

Just ordered my ak 2i by Shadraak at 7:46 AM (1,158 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Shadraak
    OP

Newcomer Shadraak Member

United States
    i'm reading thru the wiki and some posts here and i'm a bit confused, about official firmware, loader, etc...

basically my question is , when i get it in a day or two what do i do and why? dont know what the loader is, and why you would or would not need it, also the wifi update what is it needed for, etc..

2. Martiin

Member Martiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    the wiki can't get more descriptive just TRY to not skim through it..
    I've read it and it explains everything you've said so far..

and here comes the sea of flames, or the cold shoulder...

3. Blake1710

Member Blake1710 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    yup, just as martiin said, the wiki answers all of these question and more in detail.

the loaders are what are used to load the games through the firmware.

the wifi update plugin is just that, a plugin to allow update of the cheat database and loaders straight to the DS via wifi.

also, the official firmware is not recommended, AKAIO, a custom firmware is much better. It has more features and better support.

Wiki link read through again, it also includes up to date download links to everything i've mentioned.

4. Shadraak
    OP

Newcomer Shadraak Member

United States
    everythign i read on there says how to install them yes but not really what they were for and that is the only reason i asked this question..

so do you have to update them thru wifi? is there no way to manually put it in there? if not i think that is very cool, used to have R4DS on my old ds lite before it was stolen just bought the dsi the other day and ordered my acecard thru leetmod on monday still waiting for it ;( but wasn't too bad 29.99 i believe which wasn't too bad, so when i get it, copy over the akai firmware, one version i was lookign at a new version said 2 didn't say 2i is there any difference to which one needs to be installed on this specific one? then add in the loader, and wifi update, all 3 of those.... then a ROM folder and just copy over normal ones and homebrew i take it? nothign special needed to be done to the roms, now i heard there was a problem with pokemon platinum (u) is that resolved?

5. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    You don't need to know the inner workings. Just put them on.

6. Shadraak
    OP

Newcomer Shadraak Member

United States
    LOL i like to know it that's why i ask, i'm a very technical person and like to know the workings is all [​IMG], i'm getting akaio now and will be looking for the loader and wifi updater as well that way i have them ready here

7. oliebol

Member oliebol GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Lol I just put some random stuff on my ak2i and it works [​IMG]

8. Shadraak
    OP

Newcomer Shadraak Member

United States
  9. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    Yeah, make sure to copy both the __aio folder and the .nds file to the root of the memory card, and put the loaders and plugins in the correct locations. Then just make a few folder for things like game backups and homebrew, copy the rest of your files to it and you're good to go.

10. Shadraak
    OP

Newcomer Shadraak Member

United States

thank you very much for this info [​IMG], i think i have it all figured out, so i hear there are a few games that dont work, one of them being pokemon platinum (u) and it "bricking" the ak2i, yes it's not a lot of money to get another one but heck i ordered this one on monday and still dont have it just went to shipping today [​IMG] so it's not a cost issue for me as much as it is a time issue, i have a bunch of my roms/homebrew and .sav's from before still backed up on my HDD, from my old R4DS from when i had my orig. ds lite and r4, will any of that work? or does anythign have to be changed ?, also is there any dsi specific games out yet to test if ak 2i will work with them or not?

11. dsjunkieman

Newcomer dsjunkieman Member

United States
    ewwwwww 30 bucks?? no good! 14.55 at deal extreme with FREE shipping broskeez

cant be flushing money in this economy [​IMG]

that coulda been beer money!!!!

12. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    thank you very much for this info [​IMG], i think i have it all figured out, so i hear there are a few games that dont work, one of them being pokemon platinum (u) and it "bricking" the ak2i, yes it's not a lot of money to get another one but heck i ordered this one on monday and still dont have it just went to shipping today [​IMG] so it's not a cost issue for me as much as it is a time issue, i have a bunch of my roms/homebrew and .sav's from before still backed up on my HDD, from my old R4DS from when i had my orig. ds lite and r4, will any of that work? or does anythign have to be changed ?, also is there any dsi specific games out yet to test if ak 2i will work with them or not?
    [/quote]

Pokemon Platinum works, there have only been three people to claim their AK2i has been 'bricked' by playing a certain game. No, just copy your .nds and .sav files over, they should work. There are no DSi games yet, and at this time, the AK2i will not be able to play DSi exlusive games. DSi mode is not yet unlocked, just normal DS mode.

13. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    Pokemon Platinum works, there have only been three people to claim their AK2i has been 'bricked' by playing a certain game. No, just copy your .nds and .sav files over, they should work. There are no DSi games yet, and at this time, the AK2i will not be able to play DSi exlusive games. DSi mode is not yet unlocked, just normal DS mode.

14. Shadraak
    OP

Newcomer Shadraak Member

United States
    it was 19.99 i think and was like 12.95 for the 4g card and then got 1.00 for screen protector and well with deal xtreme shows that it could take up to 3-4 weeks to get it in the states [​IMG]

15. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    I wish I didn't order from DX now. I was promised it would be shipped in 2-5 days, it has been almost a week and no email confirming it has been shipped.

16. Shadraak
    OP

Newcomer Shadraak Member

United States
    well not much props to leetmod, ordered monday night just got usps confirmation night before last with yesterdays date on it, and even to today still shows they only received electronic shipping notification and i paid the 6.50 for the 2-3 day shipping in US, which to me is 24 hours for processing and then 2-3 days for delivery, but i suppose not.