Hacking Just ordered a 3DS, need some help.

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand that there is nothing that can play 3DS Roms. I'm quite surprised nobody has managed to break it all this time, nonetheless, no matter.

But you can at least play DS Roms though right? This is where I'm a little lost. I've searched but I honestly don't know what I need for this. I don't know the difference between all these cards. What's the cheapest thing that I can buy to be able to play DS Roms on a 3DS? What's a reliable place to buy this from? Can I find it on eBay?

Is there a tutorial I can read? Do I have to install something? How does it work? Do I need to do anything with the 3DS firmware?

I'd appreciate any help. I know it's a lot of questions.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
All of your questions have already been answered on the forum in the 3DS section. There you will find a large amount of experiences and suggestions other temps have had and given and then you will be able to make a more informed decision on your next move.

Just like what was said during The Shawshank Redemption, "Salvation lies within."

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you to you all. Just one more question. Which flashcart do you guys personally recommend? And what is the best place to get it from?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The ones in that first link I posted are the current recommendations (so of those, the last four since they work on the 3DS). Where to get it depends. You can get it cheaper from a chinese import shop and then wait a while for shipping, or get it from an import site in CA and pay more, but get faster shipping options.

Shoptemp has lists of sites and reviews and such.
http://shoptemp.net/

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you to you all. Just one more question. Which flashcart do you guys personally recommend? And what is the best place to get it from?

Personally I recomend AceKard 2i, cheapest priced one that works absolutly great. Rydian's right with shoptemp suggestion.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't get those. The proper ones are from R4iDS.CN or R4iDSN.COM.
http://www.eachgame.hk/goods-4045.html

Is there one that comes without the SD Card? I'll just use the SD card that comes with the 3DS.

Actually, you can't. The 3DS comes with a normal SD card but those carts use microSD.
Don't get those. The proper ones are from R4iDS.CN or R4iDSN.COM.
http://www.eachgame.hk/goods-4045.html

Is there one that comes without the SD Card? I'll just use the SD card that comes with the 3DS.

Actually, you can't. The 3DS comes with a normal SD card but those carts use microSD.

Ah crud. Well thanks for letting me know. Is the one Rydian posted a good quality SD Card? Is there a cheaper 4GB version?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I didn't mean to post with a bundled one, my bad.
http://www.eachgame.hk/goods-5651.html

I definitely suggest staying away from the bundled MicroSD's from chinese/import shops, they tend to be cheap/fakes. Get an actual MicroSD (preferably Class-4 or Class-6 to be safe) from an actual store around you (or direct online shops such as newegg, not ebay or amazon resellers).

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't mean to post with a bundled one, my bad.
http://www.eachgame.hk/goods-5651.html

I definitely suggest staying away from the bundled MicroSD's from chinese/import shops, they tend to be cheap/fakes. Get an actual MicroSD (preferably Class-4 or Class-6 to be safe) from an actual store around you (or direct online shops such as newegg, not ebay or amazon resellers).

That's what I was thinking of exactly. Alright thanks! I'm going to go ahead and order that one. So those R4i Gold cards that are $6-$7 are fake right?

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The ones with different titles (like "R4i Gold Upgrade Unlimited") are often the bad clones.

You have to be very careful with carts with "R4" in the name. There's possibly hundreds of clones, and only a few are decent.

I understand. It's quite easy for a new person to be confused. But thanks for the help. I'm ordering the one you showed me as we speak.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
SuperCard DSTwo. It's definitely not the cheapest flashcart, but at $40, you're basically paying the price of one 3DS game for a whole library of DS games and homebrew, and since it's one of the only cards that can handle proper GBA (and even a little bit of SNES) emulation, you can't go wrong. I have bought cards from both realhotstuff.net and nds-gear.com with no issues, and both sites are very reputable (though I've heard more good things about nds-gear than realhotstuff).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night