*just joined* i just bought a SKY3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DAH-THUNDERBIRD, Jul 13, 2015.

1. DAH-THUNDERBIRD
    OP

DAH-THUNDERBIRD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Canada
    but its not reading the roms i put on the sd card the seller told me to go to gbatemp.net so here i am :D

but could it be my sd card's fault? the sd card works fine in my R4 for ds lite

3DS is at 9.8.0-25U
    SD card is a sandisk 2GB

im running linux with an python unofficial application to write roms to the sdcard but they dont show, i also did try with my friends computer running windows with the official sky3ds diskwriter app but i get the same result. they also dont show.

could it be that the sdcard is somehow not compatible with the sky3ds? if yes what sd card should i buy?

thanks in advance

2. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    Did you do this?

http://sky3ds.com/product.html

3. DAH-THUNDERBIRD
    OP

DAH-THUNDERBIRD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Canada
    i have been trying that since yesterday, but everytime i try that it never "flashes" it stays solid or when i put in the sky3ds while holding the blue button the led doesnt even go on, i honestly believe i do something wrong

4. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    Try making sure the mSD is seated properly. Give it a little press down, or try pulling it out and reinserting.

5. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    Most 2gb sd cards don't work on Sky3ds, from what I've read around here.

6. DAH-THUNDERBIRD
    OP

DAH-THUNDERBIRD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Canada
    so... which sdcard does actually work? and which brand if that matters anything? cuz the seller left me in the dark and told me to go here so this site is basicly my only hope

7. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    I've used a 32gb Sandisk ultra and 8gb Pny with no problems. I don't remember which brand, but I had a 4gb card that worked too.

From other posts I've seen, it seems like you should avoid using Kingston and Samsung cards with the Sky3ds.

8. dandymanz

dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal
    I myself used a 2GB Microsd card too and can confirm it doesn't work. A 4gb one does. But your microsd card also has to be fast enough. I used a Samsung Evo 64GB before and even though the games loaded fine, they tend to freeze midway while playing. Changing to the sandisk extreme plus has so far worked fine for me.

exangel likes this.
  9. DAH-THUNDERBIRD
    OP

DAH-THUNDERBIRD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Canada
    so its the micro sd card at fault? so... tomorrow i can go to the shop, what sdcard must i buy?

10. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    This is the one I use.

11. DAH-THUNDERBIRD
    OP

DAH-THUNDERBIRD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Canada
    i will give that a try and cross my fingers hoping it will work, thanks for replying everyone :)

12. DAH-THUNDERBIRD
    OP

DAH-THUNDERBIRD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Canada
    alright i will find a good sdcard, that has lots of capacity. again thanks for helping me out and get me on my way :)

13. nervx

nervx GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2006
    Canada
    that 2GB card wont work because its old and likely isn't fast enough.

Just buy whatever class 10. Sandisk seems to always work unless you buy a fake one.

Samsung cards come formatted with two partitions one of which is hidden. You need a 3rd party program to delete both partitions then simply reformat using windows. Ive seen a few people claim it fixed the issue for them. It would be interesting to see if Kingston cards have a hidden partition which might be why they don't work with sky3ds.

The only other issue could be caused due to how Samsung(and some other brands) card size not being exactly on the 1MiB boundary which is why h2testw gives a warning about it. I would place my money on the hidden partition being the problem though.

14. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Sky doesn't read non HC cards (2gb or less) it has to do with the format that have you change your card too.

I personally have had great success with amazon as long as amazon is the shipper. If you have prime they have a huge sale coming up this week

15. Arkansaw

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    sometimes it depends on the sd adapter card (size, fitting etc). I had one that simply could not be detected by the 3ds unless I nudge it at a certain angle. Solved by using another adapter that worked

16. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    Since you're in canada, check out NCIX. i got a 64gb AData mSD for $20. the read and write speeds are amazing.

17. DAH-THUNDERBIRD
    OP

DAH-THUNDERBIRD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Canada
    what is NCIX exactly?

18. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    it's a computer store. not sure if i can link here, but google is your friend.

19. DAH-THUNDERBIRD
    OP

DAH-THUNDERBIRD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Canada
    yeah i just googled it. i will consider it. thanks man

20. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Linking to stores like best buy or NCIX is fine. It is links to rom sites that are a nono :lol: