Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I got my hands on a *ahem* legal copy of The Orange Box. Thing is, the first disc has a .mdf file on the first disc, and a .md0 on the second. I've tried mounting the files but I can't open the virtual drives. I have no idea what to do with these. Halp guys.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
How about Buy the damn thing - You are not gonna be able to use the copy you just downloaded any fucking way.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
The multiplayer on TF2 is made so you have to have a legit copy to play on any of the good servers. I'd imagine the not so legit ones don't have VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) nor any of the new updates (119 of them so far), so I don't recommend it.

The Orange Box was a steal at $50, now at $30 it should be mandatory to have it. (Or at least just buy TF2 for $20)

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
From what I've gathered it is possible to play online on VAC-enabled servers with a pirated copy. However, you will never get any kind of unlocks at all meaning that you'll be limited to the initial amount of weapons for all classes. Not to mention that I know nothing about how one would go around doing said thing as I've always been playing with a legit copy.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
juggernaut911 said:
Buy it. If there's one company you don't pirate from, it's Valve.
This.
Valve is incredible and anyone pirating from them should be shot with very high powered lasers.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Minox_IX said:
From what I've gathered it is possible to play online on VAC-enabled servers with a pirated copy. However, you will never get any kind of unlocks at all meaning that you'll be limited to the initial amount of weapons for all classes. Not to mention that I know nothing about how one would go around doing said thing as I've always been playing with a legit copy.

no, every server has a steam authentication layer.

You can play on "Cracked servers" ones without steam layer, (that is hacked away) - once in year, a ONE such server pops up, and then dies away in few months.

VAC is totally different technology, but I also would say that cracked servers cannot have that either.

Also, the problem is also getting updates, I oughta that you need fully updated game but only way to get them is steam or a preupdated GFC, where DVD would not help at all.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sumea said:
Minox_IX said:

You can play on "Cracked servers" ones without steam layer, (that is hacked away) - once in year, a ONE such server pops up, and then dies away in few months.

VAC is totally different technology, but I also would say that cracked servers cannot have that either.

Also, the problem is also getting updates, I oughta that you need fully updated game but only way to get them is steam or a preupdated GFC, where DVD would not help at all.
Believe it or not, I've seen pirates play on the non-cracked servers I usually frequent
smile.gif

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Sumea said:
Minox_IX said:

Believe it or not, I've seen pirates play on the non-cracked servers I usually frequent
smile.gif
How do you know they are pirates or the server isn't cracked? O.o

Also if the server is setup correctly, you can get unlocks.
Or at least used to, not too sure now.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Diablo1123 said:
Their SteamID's don't show any records of owning TF2, and as for the servers - I know the owner of my favorite one.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Diablo1123 said:
Their SteamID's don't show any records of owning TF2, and as for the servers - I know the owner of my favorite one.
Can I have the IP I want to try, as far as I know, its impossible to play on not cracked servers unless it is cracked or the Steam auth servers are down.
Not sure if you people were talking about it or not, but cracked servers can have VAC.

More on-topic:
If you have the legit discs, to install you'll either need a Steam account with the game, a cracked Steam setup that thinks you have the game, or something called SimPack or something
Then you'll have to go through about 119 updates before you can play.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Minox_IX said:
Diablo1123 said:

Your favorute one can be cracked one.

Normal players get into cracked servers too.

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should have bought TF2 when it was on sale for $2.50 USD
tongue.gif

And fyi, cracked servers SUCK. I pirated TF2 before I bought it. First of all, the cracked servers are super laggy, your teammates dont know shit, nobody uses a mic, and everybody is from a different country.

Plus, you don't get any weapons or updates.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mdf's are from alcohol 120%. you can also burn them from imgburn.

and as for "cracked servers", they're there, not hard to get to, but its nowhere near as fun as you mainly attract the crowd who don't have the money/don't want to pay for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-EuoBjkKI&pp=ygUqd2F0Y2htZW4gaSdtIG5vdCB0cmFwcGVkIGluIGhlcmUgd2l0...