Just got an hdd tranfer cable

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Ethanx94, Mar 14, 2009.

Mar 14, 2009
  1. Ethanx94
    OP

Member Ethanx94 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Okay, sent in for a hdd cable a while back and got it today from Microsoft.

As I understand it:

XBLA games can't be pirated but can be demoed.

Game add-ons might be pirated ref: GTA Lost and Damned.

Ripped music from the 360 are saved as wma with a custom header.

What I'm wondering:

Am I correct and can Hexic HD be played normally if I DLed it since it was free? (For some reason I didn't have it with my used hdd. No achievements from it or any traces at all.)

Did the Lost and Damned work for anyone or was it a lie?

Do extra Guitar Hero tracks work?

Is there a program to add that custom header to my music files?

How do I convert 360 music back to normal?

Will mp3 work under any circumstances and will normal wma files work without being headered?

Lastly, what are movie files saved as on the hdd and will I have to screw with any converting to or from the 360?

2. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You do know what the transfer cable is for, right?

I have a feeling you think that you can take files off your 360 hard drive and put them on your computer. What the transfer cable does is move all your files off your 360 hard drive onto a bigger 360 hard drive. It has no computer involved.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    also you cannot move data to a smaller hard drive or one of the same size

4. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    That's why I said move files to a bigger hard drive! [​IMG]. Haha just playing!

5. KaliKot

KaliKot Newbie

xplorer 360 is a software for managing your 360 hard drive i think

I also want a transfer cable but its pretty hard to come by at unsupported countries like mine

and I dont want to shell out for a 120gb ripoff just for the cable

6. Ethanx94
    OP

United States
    Yea, what kalikot said. I'm not using it as microsoft intended it to be used. I'm using it with xplorer and I can "take files off my 360 hard drive and put them on my computer." I can also do the inverse and put files on my 360 hard drive from my computer. I just have a lot of questions before I start so I don't mess anything up.

7. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i see this as a super easy way to get banned from live.

all content downloaded through live is tied directly to your GT and 360. it would not be hard for MS find people throwing extra content and game saving.

8. Ethanx94
    OP

United States
    Yea I may get screwed with that but first of all I want to find out about multimedia transferring.

9. sgand

Newcomer sgand Advanced Member

United States
    Just wanted to point out to the few of you who said you cannot transfer stuff to a same size hard drive, you can. It says so in the manual that comes with it.

I ordered my transfer kit on a Wed and it arrived on Sat. I'll have to look into this xplorer 360 stuff.

10. Gagarin

Member Gagarin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  11. xhaborymx

Newcomer xhaborymx Advanced Member

United States
    I just want to warn everybody that the transfer kit doesn't work as well as it claims it does. I specifically bought an elite because all of my Rock Band DLC was filling up my 20gb drive. So, I obviously used my transfer kit to make sure that all of my songs transferred over. But then the first time I booted it up, ALL of my RB1 tracks were missing and none of the RB2 tracks would play. I kept getting an error message that they were unavailable. So, I had to delete all of the tracks and re-download them all to get them to work. It was such a huge pain. I would've been better off not even using it. Grrr.

[/rant]

12. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If it makes you feel any better, you can fetch around $30 for your kit on eBay. There are a lot of people who want them but don't have an Elite serial.

13. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

Sad really when you can ALL get the HD transfer kit for FREE from MICROSOFT .... but involves giving them a call and giving them your console serial number and explaining you wish to transfer your HD content to a bigger drive [​IMG]

they will post you one out FREE [​IMG]

.....I too read that you could add hacked DLC to the drive using it but .... a lot of people say that DLC is tied to the consoles serial number and acct so will not work on other consoles!?

for those struggling to use the transfer kit a proper kit like the ones direct from Microsoft will come with the correct disk that you simply load into the console with the transfer kit connected to the new drive and a spare USB port the disk will prompt you to copy the contents to the new drive ... and that's pretty much it you just leave it to move every thing over .... IT TOTALLY REMOVES EVERYTHING from the older smaller drive so you can take it to trade in or sell on as a pre owned drive [​IMG]