Gaming Jtag system won't boot dash after installing "dashlaunch 2.0&

booshaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had my system jtag'd. I than Installed xexmenu, modified ini for dir paths and put files in correct spot for dashlaunch, opened freestyle dash and ran "install" file for dashlaunch 2.0.

Now the 360 won't boot to the dashboard. I can get my 360 to boot linux/xell by powering it on via eject button but the 360 dashboard won't boot :-(

Im new to homebrew on the 360 and off to a miserable start... I want to access the 360 internal memory to change back the files that were changed/modified but have no idea how to do it. No luck trying to ftp into 360 when I boot xell or whatever it is. Do i need to track down the guy to reflash the nand? any help would be awesome!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have access to the xell(ous) screen you can pull it back, if not then yeah you would be reflashing the NAND.

What "dashboard" was the system at before you tried to install dashlaunch? if it was too early then this could well happen. Likewise there have been a couple of revisions of the newest freeboot/fbbuild (fbBuild 0.11) and corresponding updates to dashlaunch so there might have been some issues there.

Before we get to that though it might just be an error in the dashlaunch config file which is now unfortunately buried in the NAND, fortunately the USB and hard drive have priority over the flash so try sticking a config file (the stock one bundled with the installer should do it) one a USB drive. This should allow you to get to the dashboard and open up the NAND (xexmenu FTP has a nand option- rather than xbox for the username and password use flash for both of them.

If it works great you ignore the rest of the post but if not we are probably building a new dashboard and flashing that- xellous has a nice NAND flashing option which you can use. It should also have NAND dumping abilities and key grabbing abilities (you do not FTP into it but load it up in a web browser just by typing your xbox IP address).
Once you have a dump and the keys you can pull it apart for the required files from your 360 to build a new freeboot and flash it.
360 Flash Dump Tool is the tool of choice here.
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox360-tools/360FlashDumpTool.php has downloads.
Add your keys to it (settings pulldown menu)
In the options section (again in the settings pulldown menu) select extract ibuild compatible files.

Load your NAND image (the right hand side of the screen should make some sense), press extract and select all you can bar raw file system, wherever you extract it to you should get
crl.bin
crl.bin.meta
extended.bin
extended.bin.meta
kv.bin
odd.bin
odd.bin.meta
secdata.bin
secdata.bin.meta
smc.bin
smc_config.bin

These are the files that fbbuild wants to make a new NAND image, build it following the NFO http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1883.nfo ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=264...t=0&start=0 is a bit older but should also help_ and you can get on with restoring your system.

http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1782.nfo has more on how to flash it but long story short the new NAND image fbbuild makes rename it to "updflash.bin" and stick it on the root of a USB drive, upon booting xellous it will allow you to flash the 360. You should now have a nice restored 360.

Good news- if you managed to follow along with this you have done about the hardest thing most 360 hackers get to do.

If not there are other options with regards to premade images although they are not ideal. Still http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=15694.0
Post back if it comes to it but hopefully it will not.

booshaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the help!

I have dashboard 9199 I believe (D2.0.12611.0)

I will try to add the config file to a usb drive...

So do I need to just put the config file in the root of the memory stick/hdd? I saw the file "default.xex" in the dashlaunch folder. I guess that's the one I need?

Appreciate the help!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
12611 is the newer dashboard (if it was the 9199 dash the 12611 part of that string would read 9199) and you seem to have that, chances are now you have hacked the console with patches for an older dash (namely those for the 9199 dash). 2.0 had no version checking either (it was added in a later update as people were using it on their pre 9199 dashboard JTAG boxes).

As you have xell all is not lost but this could get tricky to get out of. Dump whatever you have left of the NAND as it will probably be useful.
I am not entirely sure if you can recover from this simply- chances are you are going to have to build a new NAND image and flash that (I have not seen an old dashlaunch used on a new freeboot so I am not sure how this plays out). You could try updating the dashlaunch program using the installer (get the newest version of dashlaunch and use that), I do not know if you can launch xex files from xell though.

As you asked as well default.xex is the installer program (prior to this you had to build a dashboard update with it)
the ini/config file is called launch.ini (there is a file called sample_launch.ini bundled with the dashlaunch program and there is another called info_launch.ini that has more in there) and yeah you can stick it on the root of the drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1