Joy-Con has become loose in Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Ian095, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Ian095
    OP

Ian095 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2018
    United Kingdom
    So my left Joy-Con (ironically the one going in the slot I wasn't putting the jig in) has become loose and is easily taken out of the console without much force. Does anyone know how to fix this or is it a simple task of having to buy a new joy-con? I know it must be the Joy-Con because the holder that forms a controller has the same issue where you can just pull it out? So if anyone knows if its easily fixable I'd appreciate it! Otherwise might just buy that Hori left Joy-Con...

sorabora likes this.
  2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Look up joycon buckle on ebay or a China retailer. That's the part you need to replace

Ian095 likes this.
  3. Batpeter

Batpeter GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2007
    United States
    I had this issue and using warranty I sent it back to Ninty for repairs. They repaired it for free and only need the single defective joycon.

Last edited by Batpeter, Aug 5, 2018
  4. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    Ya, this drives me crazy, though mine doesn't come loose. It just has a lot of "play" or "flex" - slight, loose movements. Moreso on the left joycon than the right.

I'm not sure if this is by design or just the way it is. Wish it wasn't, though.

5. dsrules

dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 20, 2005
    try some youtube videos

6. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Replacing the buckle in the joycon will fix that problem

sorabora likes this.
  7. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    If you can take a look at your joy-con from the back, you can see the little plastic piece is little broken.
    Mine have the same problem.

8. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yeah that piece is called the buckle.

9. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    Unsure about direct linking, but is this what you're speaking to? It's described as an "Alloy Buckle Lock."

Thanks @TheCyberQuake

Attached Files:

10. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yes. That is the latch inside the joycon that locks it in place. The plastic one by default can get chipped over time and get loose, or even in bad cases just fail to hold the joycon in at all.

sorabora likes this.
  11. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Place down pieces of clear tape inside the joycon rail. That's all I'll bother to type up since I went over it extensively in some other post long ago. It's such an easy fix. You simply create pressure between the joycon and the rail.

12. Ian095
    OP

Ian095 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, I believe the buckle is damaged my younger brother probably put some force on it which damaged it. Would be nice if Nintendo would replace it but then I'd be 1 Joy-Con down for a while! I might try some tape on it too, it doesn't slide out thankfully it's just irritating. Thanks guys!

13. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That's only a temporary fix. If you can replace the actual broken part why not? The problem usually gets worse as time goes on, and tape won't fix it when it's broken to the point where it doesn't latch at all. It will help hold it in, but one bump and it's disconnected.