join .rar to make image?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mrpinkeye, Apr 12, 2011.

Apr 12, 2011

join .rar to make image? by mrpinkeye at 4:43 AM (1,457 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. mrpinkeye
    OP

Member mrpinkeye GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    hi

iv got a .rar folder full of files ending part01, part02 etc

do i need to join them somehow? i tryed extracting like i usually do but it says it will take 5 hours!? that cant be right surely?

also tryed getting hjsplit to join them but it cant locate any files within the folder [​IMG]

help!

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    o.0...it's just a rar file that has been split into parts because it's probably large...Just because it says it is going to take 5 hours doesn't mean it's not the right way to extract it -_-"...
    In other words, YES WinRAR is handling the format it was MEANT FOR correctly...unless you are smart and using 7zip (I prefer it anyways...though the reasoning behind it I can no longer remember)...which then it STILL handles it correctly anyways.

3. geeb2002

Newcomer geeb2002 Member

United States
    Open the first one with winrar and tell it to extract, if you have all the partxx files then it will extract it.

4. mrpinkeye
    OP

United Kingdom
    wow, iv extracted 100's of rar games and never had one take more than 20mins!

5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    A good chance that time is in 'windows minutes'. In other words: that those 5 hours will turn out to be 3hours...117minutes...3days...1hours...1500seconds...10minutes...whatever. Just be patient: it'll extract sooner or later. [​IMG]

6. mrpinkeye
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok, i hope your right! thanks guys

7. CherrySkitty

Member CherrySkitty GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    You don't even need to open the first file xD.

Just right click ANY of those parts and then Extract e.e

8. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    by "image," I guess you mean ISO or a similar file type because of the file size...

If you use WinRAR, put all of the .rar files in the same place (say, in a folder or your desktop) and extract from one of them; WinRAR will automatically detect the rest of the files and extract/merge the file into one.

If you use 7-zip, put all of the .rar files in the same place (say, in a folder or your desktop), highlight all of the .rar files, and extract.

Don't know about other extracting programs, since I've never used them.

9. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    You don't need to highlight all of them, just open up any one of them and 7zip will extract the image correctly (at least, it does for me).

Also, the time remaining is never correct for me, so I wouldn't worry about it.

10. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Another little tip.....

If you use WinRAR and the file pops up an error as you are extracting it, use 7zip and it will usually extract without errors.

Not sure how many people know that little fact, so I thought I'd mention it.

11. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    does the error mean anything when extracting? cause if i do get an error i just keep going with the process and the game usually always play fine when converted to .wbfs

12. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Because HJSplit joins files that are *.something.001, *.something.002, etc.

Like *rar.001, *.rar.002, etc... not part01, part02... also, I've seen sometimes as numbers increase, that game.rar.part56 will then progress to a game.r57, .r58, etc... but only from this one website I go to for some stuff, different than where I get my wii games.

13. Rayder

United States

Whenever you see an error during extraction, that means that part didn't get extracted. Your game may appear to play fine, but it will likely crash at some point before the end of the game because of missing files.

14. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    When I'm getting an error, it's because the file's CRC info stored in the rar doesn't match the extracted file's CRC (usually the Rar is incomplete).
    If 7zip doesn't give an error, then it's bad because it's accepting corrupted extracted files.
    (there's a command line to force winrar to extract corrupted files without throwing an error)

If you are using a Winrar < 3.40, then it's normal that you are getting errors on rars created with a 3.40+ winrar version, and 7zip is extracting it correctly (as 3.40+ does).

15. Rayder

United States
    I've noticed the errors also happen if you create a .rar file using 7zip (instead of a 7z file) WinRAR may have troubles extracting it. And yes, I'm sure it has everything to do with version numbers and compression algorithms. But still, 7zip seems to handle the issues better than WinRAR.

I've had WinRAR fail to unzip AVI's and they were unusable, but when 7zip extracted it without errors, the file was fine. I believe the CRC errors received in WinRAR were a simple result of it not understanding the algorithm used to compress the file, so what IT figured the CRC to be was wrong, hence the error.

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If there's a 000 or r00, make sure you're opening THAT one. Don't jump immediately to the 001 or r01.

17. mrfraser89

Newcomer mrfraser89 Advanced Member

Australia
    There is no procedure for 'merging' the rar parts to make an image.

The files are all indexed to each other, so just double clicking / extracting any of them should do the job. You should see a progress bar showing 'extracting part.r01' and it will continue to climb from there.

18. Stigmatic

Newcomer Stigmatic Advanced Member

Norway
    5 hours to extract sounds long, but I've never seen winrar doing "windows time". It's been very close to correct for me.
    But if you do strange things like extracting from extarnal and your external is slow, it could take some time. I've used 1-2 hours extracting some files. Sometimes things take time.
    Also, if you use your hdd for other stuff at the same time (like torrent, more copying or watching movies), extracting files will take some extra time.

19. mrpinkeye
    OP

United Kingdom
    urgh, it took over 4 hours! havent tested it yet but def gave me a disc image which is now wbfs, so im guessin it will play. like i said, never had to wait more than 20mins before...

ha, now iv got another that says its gonna take 3 hours! both have less parts in than usual. does this just happen when there are only a few .rar files and it does a quicker job when theres loads?

20. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    No.

As stated, it's likely something else using your harddrive at the same time (something intensive like a virus scan).