Job System

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to write a huge article about how the system in FFV(A) is, quite frankly, the best RPG character customization system I have ever had the pleasure of playing, but I think I'll just cut to the chase.

I want to play more games like this one. I already know about the games listed here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Job_System

I know all about the DQ series, as well as SD3 (Secret of Mana 2), not to mention the excellent (IMO) Blue Dragon.

I want to know about obscure titles with job systems very much like the one employed in Final Fantasy V.

Thanks in advance.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to the FF5 love. Easily my favourite of the early series (and later one for that matter)

I played a PC game a few weeks back called Din's Curse ( http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Screenshots.html )- it was diablo clone where you could merge classes (albeit at the start of the game rather that at will like FF5) the other week which has several interesting ideas on top of that (the home village was not static and would come under attack).

Similarly a lot of the action RPG games are going through a phase where this is the default (or better yet look at the likes of the dungeon siege series) or if you want to go a bit more old school roguelikes have this sort of thing as a staple (indeed it is nigh on impossible to do anything if you do not gain things from different classes).

If you have a 360 or PS3 check out resonance of fate. It is not exactly what you asked for but it did the same for me what playing FF5 did all those years ago.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=release is my present favourite (and has been for a while) and better yet it is on most of the consoles/handhelds we cover around here too.

I do not really follow the PC side of things though.

Oh and if we are going back in time crusader of the centy aka Soleil was somewhat interesting for this merge of classes/items.

If you want to go back further into the more traditional RPGs then some of the might and magic games might be worth having a look at although back then it was more merged classes rather than FF5 like. A lot of those older games work wonderfully well with WINE and maybe just maybe virtual machines too.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Personally the best job system I've ever seen was on Final Fantasy Tactics
biggrin.gif
my favourite Final Fantasy EVER!

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Not really obscure but Final Fantasy X-2 and the International version of XII have job systems. XIII somewhat too. Final Fantasy Tactics, Advance, and A2 all have similar job systems, which are in turn based of Tactics Ogre.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might like Desktop Dungeons. It's a quick, 10 minute game per round of rougelike gameplay with different classes and races. It's a lot of fun, and best of all, each game usually only lasts about 10-15 minutes.

QUOTE said:
* Fight your way through a fantasy dungeon in 10 minutes or less
* Classic roguelike play re-imagined as a single-screen puzzle game
* Unlock loads of classes, races and challenge dungeons for awesome replayability
* Online leaderboard allows you to compare yourself against other players
* Deep, challenging, randomly-generated gameplay

Download from Source

Unfortunately, it is Windows only, but if you've got Wine or a similar program (or a virtual machine I suppose), it's definitely worth it. Really fast, easy, fun.

Edit
Also, is Final Fantasy V really that good? It's the only original FF game that I've yet to play (from FF to FF9), but that's only because the GBA remakes were all gone. A friend of mine has a copy, though, so I might borrow it from him if it really is that much fun.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
Also, is Final Fantasy V really that good?
I am torn on it. The class system was a really fun idea (you see a very similar system used in FFT). The storyline was mediocre at best and quite forgettable.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Not really obscure but Final Fantasy X-2 and the International version of XII have job systems. XIII somewhat too. Final Fantasy Tactics, Advance, and A2 all have similar job systems, which are in turn based of Tactics Ogre.
Dah, that's why I mentioned that I already knew about games mentioned here.

Windaga said:
You might like Desktop Dungeons. It's a quick, 10 minute game per round of rougelike gameplay with different classes and races. It's a lot of fun, and best of all, each game usually only lasts about 10-15 minutes.

QUOTE* Fight your way through a fantasy dungeon in 10 minutes or less
* Classic roguelike play re-imagined as a single-screen puzzle game
* Unlock loads of classes, races and challenge dungeons for awesome replayability
* Online leaderboard allows you to compare yourself against other players
* Deep, challenging, randomly-generated gameplay

Download from Source

Unfortunately, it is Windows only, but if you've got Wine or a similar program (or a virtual machine I suppose), it's definitely worth it. Really fast, easy, fun.

Edit
Also, is Final Fantasy V really that good? It's the only original FF game that I've yet to play (from FF to FF9), but that's only because the GBA remakes were all gone. A friend of mine has a copy, though, so I might borrow it from him if it really is that much fun.

Oh baby.

Final Fantasy V Advance...it's simply aaaaaaahmazing.

Near the final stretch of the game, I was playing it in the middle of my workday, and...this sense of pure, unbridled euphoria poured over me, like I was being glazed in caramel. Everything went kind of fuzzy, and for about three hours straight, I felt nothing but happiness. Pure joy.

It was intense. Like nothing I've ever felt before, and have never felt since. I attribute that to the job system, because I was just having so much fun with the various combinations. At one point, it all just clicked, and the whole universe came into view.

You have got to play it to believe it, my temp brothah.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish said:
Windaga said:
Also, is Final Fantasy V really that good?
I am torn on it. The class system was a really fun idea (you see a very similar system used in FFT). The storyline was mediocre at best and quite forgettable.

True, but that never really bothered me. Unless a story is exceptional in a game, I'm usually not there for it.

For RPGs, it's all about the character customization.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Wolvenreign said:
Goli said:
Well it doesn't mention Tactics Ogre so I still contributed a bit
tongue.gif
Also, the Narikiri Dungeon Tales games all have job systems, most SRPGs like Disgaea or Wild Arms XF do too.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^"Sistah" I guess I should have "female" in my signature or something xD

Then I guess I'll pick it up sometime. Between Etrian III, White, and some of the titles from the Mature thread, I'll be hard pressed for time. And lord, didn't Trackmania Wii just come out? Man...

Yeah, I'll borrow it from him. I'm not too sure on how to dump GBA games, but I'll figure it out. I'm really big on story for a game, but if the gameplay is amazing, I can usually over look it.

But thanks. And yeah, definitely take a look at desktop dungeons.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Wolvenreign said:
Goli said:

Well it doesn't mention Tactics Ogre so I still contributed a bit
tongue.gif
Also, the Narikiri Dungeon Tales games all have job systems, most SRPGs like Disgaea or Wild Arms XF do too.
True. Thing is, I often can't stomach SRPGs. They're not bad, they're just not my taste. Especially with a lot of BS they tend to pull off. What am I talking about, you ask?

In Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (most recent remake = most legitimate release IMO) the game can be LUDICROUSLY hard. I play SMT, so I know what hard is. (Along with Painkiller: Blackgold on Trauma and I Wanna Be The Guy) And then sometimes, it will be oddly easy. It's all luck, unfortunately.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The Judge system. Need I say more? (That also goes somewhat for FFT2.)

Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome. This game lacks money! What, I can either progress in the story OR heal my units so I can actually win the next battle? BULL! It's enough to make me want to cheat with a Gameshark just to get through the early parts. Do check this game out, though.

Disgaea series: SRPGs are not friendly to grinding. Ever. You have to place your units, move them around, and then EVENTUALLY get to kill things. If it all moved a lot faster, I wouldn't mind the tactical grinding. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

QUOTE(Windaga @ Sep 23 2010, 06:48 PM)
^"Sistah" I guess I should have "female" in my signature or something xD

Then I guess I'll pick it up sometime. Between Etrian III, White, and some of the titles from the Mature thread, I'll be hard pressed for time. And lord, didn't Trackmania Wii just come out? Man...

Yeah, I'll borrow it from him. I'm not too sure on how to dump GBA games, but I'll figure it out. I'm really big on story for a game, but if the gameplay is amazing, I can usually over look it.

But thanks. And yeah, definitely take a look at desktop dungeons.

Yeah, thanks for the recommendation. You have yourself a good one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly