JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by FencingFoxFTW, Jan 25, 2013.

Jan 25, 2013
  1. FencingFoxFTW
    OP

Member FencingFoxFTW GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico

2. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Wait a second, I thought before he said no.

Also this is pretty cool. I like his work a lot. Now if only he'll make a damn Cloverfield 2.

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    great he has already ruined star trek why not star wars as well!

NOT HAPPY JAN

totalnoob617 and Costello like this.
  4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Still a better director than George Lucas.

5. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

what's your home address? I need to send you something
    (I hope you have a good insurance)

tronic307, ferofax and The_Hulkster like this.
  6. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    I think he means "better than Episode 1 Lucas".

tronic307 likes this.
  7. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    He's already denied this , why is this rumour popping up again?

8. FencingFoxFTW
    OP

Member FencingFoxFTW GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    because this time it's pretty much confirmed, unless Hollywood is trying to pull some ULTIMATE TROLLING

9. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    As long as he doesn't have JarJar in it.... Or if he does please let it be some sort of torture scene or maybe JarJar getting his tongue cut out.

10. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    Not sure I agree with this. I found the recent Star Trek movie to be more enjoyable than the others I've seen. While those were fine, they all seemed more like feature-length episodes rather than a movie worthy of the big screen. But, then again, it's not like I'm a devout Star Trek fan, so what do I know? (or, maybe that was the point of the film.)

11. Bladexdsl

Australia
    it was that's what he was aiming at from the start which is an insult to the actual fans of star trek

12. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    I'm a devout hardcore Star Trek fan seen every movie, every episode even the animated series and for the life of me I can't grasp what the fuck your talking about. What exactly did JJ do to Trek that has got your panties all in a bunch? His reboot was the best Trek movie since Wrath of Kahn and First Contact. I can't wait for his next Trek movie this May.

OT apparently this must be true I just seen GMA run a segment on him directing the next Star Wars.

McHaggis and Arm73 like this.
  13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'm a devout Star Trek fan and the latest movie was pretty damn good.

It actually had balls to not suck the cock of Star Trek fans and do its own thing. It was actually exciting (unlike most of the other movies), had a large appeal (unlike the other movies), but still had a good take on the original cast and felt very Star Trek.

I'm not real huge on Abrams movies, Cloverfield was an awful movie and Super 8 was alright but nothing special. Still, he's better than Lucas.

14. Bladexdsl

Australia
    if you REALLY was than you would know

and check out another one of JJ's masterpieces: revolution. watch the whole season than see how many inconsistencies you can count!

[​IMG]

15. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    Hmmmm....

So it has all came down to who is popular on Entertainment Tonight hugh? It is not about who has a good feeling for the Star Wars spirit and soul. Oh yes, I forgot, these movies are being made for money, not for the art or love of it, so who ever is appealing on Entertainment Tonight at the moment will be offered the job not some artist who lives and breathes the Star Wars universe...

....like Karen Traviss or Timothy Zahn for instance. I still don't understand why they were not offered to write the script? Heck, the cancelled the conclusion to Karens Republic Commando story arch because it was too true to the Mandolorian Lore that we all grew up with, which ironically conflicted with the pacifist portrayal of them that they wanted in the Clone Wars cartoon series. You know? That show where they claim Darth Maul survived being cut and half and falling into the Planet's Core where Naboo draw's it's power. Ya, that one.

Anyhow, complaints aside, I did really feel like the new Star Trek movie was the Star Wars of Star Trek films. I'm quite sure it upset old school fans of Star Trek as it did not have much sci-fi in it really, rather it was an action film that took you through a sensible story arch (oh no, Time Travel again?!?!), with good acting, lots of laughs, and a lot of things to engage your interest as you are taking the ride.

I can not say I am a huge fan of Abrams other works, none of them in fact, so I think he just kind of lucked out with Star Trek, hence the reason he got the job here. As for the writer...

...really, the writer behind Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story III? Well aside of LMS' usual dose of modern movie subtle social engineering and the horrible ending, I did not think it was horrible, but not exceptional either as everyone has built it up to be. Toy Story III on the other hand was a terrific film, but again...

...what about these two films show that this guy has a spiritual sense for the Star Wars material?

And what is with that rumour that they want to bring back Darth Vader? That just makes no sense. I hope it ain't true, I really do. While I agree that ANYONE is better than Lucas, I'm starting to hear things from Disney that kind of scare me. I guess I do have to remember that this is not the same Disney that gave me Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp, Robinhood, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and the like.

I hear Harrison Ford will only be in it if Han Solo gets sacked in the 7th film. I'm all for that idea! Star Wars HAS to have important character death or else it ain't Star Wars. Unlike Star Trek, it ain't always the unknown guys in red suits that prematurely meet their end. :)

16. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    JJ Abrams' Bad Robot only produced Revolution, he didn't direct it or anything of the sort.

If you're going to try and criticize JJ Abrams, please just use Cloverfield.

Qtis and 431unknown like this.
  17. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    WHAT are you talking about?

Im not a trekkie by any stretch of the imagination but Star trek 2009 was a fantastic movie. Hell if that movie is the the bar in which he is judged then id want him to do every movie i wanna see.

431unknown likes this.
  18. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    This is one of the reasons why I love the internet, so many different opinions. I loooooooved Cloverfield to death. I thought it was just absolutely brilliant and can't wait for the inevitable, overdue sequel.

ferofax and 431unknown like this.
  19. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Enlighten us please. You seem to be more in the know then the rest of us. Before you do tho go look up the definition of the word Reboot first. You seem to be one of those that can't grasp the meaning of that word reboot.

20. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Mr. Plinkett called it... three years ago.

J.J. Abrams' take on Star Trek was pretty damn good. It wasn't Wrath of Khan, but I'd definitely say it was up there. He's a director that knows how to work with special effects without getting lost in them. If he's handed a good script, I think he'll make a fine Star Wars film.

Plus, we're one step closer to that Star Wars/Star Trek crossover I've always imagined. Imagine Kirk and Han Solo battling Storm Troopers aboard the Enterprise, and Picard and Obi-Wan Kenobi exchanging words of wisdom over a nice cup of Earl Grey tea!