Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jet Impulse Open Translation Project

JetImpulse.jpg

Updates
5/27 - Font editing is still in progress. Thanks to psycoblaster and thedicemaster for the initial suggestion.
6/18 - I've been hit with a heavy college workload, so I haven't gotten anywhere yet. Aiming to have the main menu done by next week.
6/20 - Added some stuff to the spreadsheet.

Intro
Since Nintendo hasn't said anything about Jet Impulse (which was supposed to be localized as "DS Air") in a long while, I'm starting a translation effort. Below is a link to the spreadsheet that contains (or will contain) text to be translated from Japanese to English. Fortunately, most or all of the graphical elements are already in English, and the text elements are in .txt files, so little to no hacking is required to make this happen.

What is Jet Impulse?
Jet Impulse is an arcade-style flight simulator that puts you in the shoes of a rookie pilot flying in the Union Air Force. Superweapons, maniacal villains, semi-useful wingmen, and ethical grey areas ensue.
More info here.

"How can I help?"
There are two ways that you can help directly with this effort.

Data extraction
This game has lots of text, all of which needs to be "put up on the big board". By unpacking JI and navigating to the data/text folder, you'll find folders full of .txt files that are the basis for this project. By appropriately uploading the text to the spreadsheet, you'll be making the text available for translation.

Translation
If you know Japanese well enough to be able to read and understand the following:

??????
???????????
???????????
????????????

... then please consider navigating to the spreadsheet and translating a few blocks of text. My knowledge of Japanese is limited to conversational Japanese, and at my best I knew only 50 or so Kanji, so any translating I do will be slowed by having to look up symbols and double-check context and linguistic rules.

"When will it be finished?"
I have no idea. This post will be updated when significant progress is made, so there is no need to ask in this thread or PM anyone about it. I expect this project to move slowly but surely, at least until some localization company decides to pick this game up.

"Where can I get the patch?"
When available, it'll be linked to here.

Links
Translation Spreadsheet
JWPce - A text editor with Shift-JIS built in. Useful for properly viewing Japanese text files.
Wikipedia Entry on Jet Impulse

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I'm useless, but great to see this happening. Good luck to you and everyone who gets involved in the translation.

EDIT: I can't say for sure, but I think I remember someone in the previous Jet Impulse topic saying that the DS Air title screen existed in the ROM. Assuming I'm correct, it might be an option to use that.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't help personally, but I wish you the best of luck. I always remember when it was rumored (or announced?) that this would be coming to the US. That never materialized, so I hope this goes well.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
psycoblaster said:
lol this is one easy game
it's just editing text files
yea, and getting a good font, if you want to translate more than 2 words each line, and the only space you can use now is like twice the normal size(normal space is ignored)

omatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
psycoblaster said:
yea, and getting a good font, if you want to translate more than 2 words each line, and the only space you can use now is like twice the normal size(normal space is ignored)

Yeah that's what I've been working on for about a week now (when time permits).

Posts merged

QUOTE(psycoblaster @ May 21 2009, 09:54 AM)

I already said that in the first paragraph of the first post.

D

Deleted User

I wish the best.

I want to see this game in English, but unfortunately I don't know any Japanese
smile.gif

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
omatic said:
thedicemaster said:
psycoblaster said:

Yeah that's what I've been working on for about a week now (when time permits).

Posts merged

QUOTE(psycoblaster @ May 21 2009, 09:54 AM)

I already said that in the first paragraph of the first post.
I'm just trying to tell you that you won't have much of a hard time in this.

Hacking the font is easy, and most of the times, the first thing you should do before you start on anything.

Edragon

Trophies
XP
Country
gokujr1000 said:
Umm when I click on the spreadsheet it won't let me access it.

You need a google acc to log in. The most easy way is to make a gmail acc.

Edit: also, nothing there yet, only a few beginning lines.

Kawo

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for taking this game, I am waiting a trad from two years.

Keep up the good work ^_O

ca_michelbach

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Great to see someones taking this translation on...been waiting for the English version for ages. Played the Japanese version of the game and it's great (especially liked the downloadable stuff!), a bit confusing when you can't understanding anything though
laugh.gif

Best of luck with the translation...can't wait to see this finished!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k