Japanese wii :(

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sidekick, Nov 20, 2008.

Nov 20, 2008

Japanese wii :( by sidekick at 10:19 PM (2,491 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. sidekick
    OP

Newcomer sidekick Newbie

United Kingdom
    Please help...Im completely new to this...

On my travels to asia I purchased a japanese modded Wii (all japanese menu's) and bought back to the UK.
    It came with lots of wii games (all japenese and appear to be copies) and they all work.

I have only recently purchased my first PAL game from UK- Wii Fit

to cut a long story short...

I inserted Wii fit and must have ran some system update from the game DVD and it must have semi bricked the Wii as I couldnt access the system settings. Anyway I found a firmware installer today and reverted the firmware back to 3.2J and can now access the system settings luckily!
    please could someone kindly answer my questions below?

1) Will the Wii be able to play the PAL Wii Fit game, it asks to update my Wii in japanese as soon as game is inserted (it wont let me go any further without the update) Do I need some sort of region free decoder software or can I somehow skip the updates? If so, can advice?

2) Is there anything out there that will show the wii menu system in english? I dont understand it [​IMG]

Many thanks
    wk

2. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Well first of all it may be a good idea to convert your Wii to a UK-PAL Wii with AnyRegionChanger. You have to be on System Menu 3.2J to do this (the menu version can be seen in the upper right corner in the settings menu). If you are not you can use cIOS Downgrader to get there. For the cIOS downgrader however you will have to have cIOS on your Wii.
    After changing your region to UK-PAL you can now read all the text and savely upgrade with PAL games. HOWEVER you can't upgrade with the japanese games anymore, as that will semi or fullbrick you.
    So you have to have a way of getting around those updates. You can either use GeckoOS which is a standalone program or use Starfall which patches your system menu.

In my post I assume, that you know how to get homebrew running on your Wii. if not, ask again. [​IMG]

3. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I reccomend starfall if you do end up downgrading. Not worrying about updates bothering you when you put in disks is sweet [​IMG]

4. sidekick
    OP

Newcomer sidekick Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks Guys, appreciated!

I am definitely on 3.2J.

So I install the AnyRegionChanger first?
    then starfall?

After I do the above, will my wii be able to play all PAL (new/copied) games?
    any drawbacks?

Sorry I dont know about homebrew, do I need this first [​IMG]

5. RadioShadow

Member RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    If you have Wii copied games, you're Wii must be chipped?

There's no way to make the 3.2J Wii Firmware use English text instead of Japanase as far as I know.

However, like Slowking says, use one of the above methods to convert to 3.2U or 3.2E. That will allow the firmware to be in English.

To bypass the updates, you can ever:

- Boot the game using one of the following channels. cIOS must be installed.
    - Use the Wii Chip to disable the updates. If you know what Wii chip you got, you can obtain the congfig files to disable updates from the Wii discs.

If you plan on changing the Wii's Country setting, format the Shop Channel first. Then change the Wii's country.

6. sidekick
    OP

Newcomer sidekick Newbie

United Kingdom
    RadioShower > Yes Wii is chipped, it can play japanese copied games right now.
    How would I convert to 3.3U/ 3.2E? sorry... didnt quite understand.. is it using the CIOS or the anyregionchanger?
    Thanks

7. Slowking

Germany
    It's pretty much in the name of the program...

8. sidekick
    OP

Newcomer sidekick Newbie

United Kingdom
    slowking i used below to fix my semi brick.. found it on the web somewhere

"wii-system-menu-update-JAP-v288" - was an iso file i burned onto dvd and booted of, it just ran an update and when i checked the system firmware it said 3.2J

Thankyou.

I have to work tomorrow so will try this weekend... If im stuck Ill be back... appreciate everyones help

9. Slowking

Germany
    You should come back in any case. We would also like to hear if it worked. [​IMG]

10. sidekick
    OP

Newcomer sidekick Newbie

United Kingdom
    will do mate... just hope I dont completely brick my wii [​IMG]

goodnight all

11. shredman

Member shredman GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    WiiFit Pal will play in a JPN wii

just run freeloader twice and insert wiifit

or use geckoOS