antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I considering taking Japanese immersion so that I could learn Japanese. I know that speaking Japanese is pretty easy. The reason why I could take Japanese immersion is to better understand its language (especially the kanji which to me is harder to pronouce than hiragana and katakana).

Does Canada had Japanese immersion? Since I lived in Burlington, Ontario, I don't think there's Japanese immersion in Toronto and its surrounding areas. Also, do I have to be 18 years old and above to participate in Japanese immersion, since I'm now a teenager? :unsure:

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I assume you mean kanji is harder to read than hiragana and katakana. Their pronunciation is no different from kana.

I'm curious--what do you consider "Japanese immersion?" And why would you need to be 18 to immerse yourself in any language to learn it? I say the younger, the better.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
By Japanese Immersion, he means all Japapanese education. Being taught every subject in Japanese. French immersion schools are pretty common here because of our bilinguality. Unfortunetly I don't know if there's Japanese immersion schools in Canada, but if there are I wouldn't reccomend it. Being taught all your subjects in japanese is probably going to hinder your grades to some degree or another. Besides, after you graduate you might as well go work in Japan if you're that serious about it. They have programs for foriegn English teachers.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We always had tons of korean and japanese kids come to our highschool to study. I assume it works both ways.
Other than going to Japan for a school year, I highly doubt there are Japanese Immersion schools IN Canada. It's not practical. The only reason there's french immersion is because Canada is a bilingual country.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I have never heard anything about Japanese Immersion curriculums anywhere in Canada. Many secondary schools offer Japanese because it's a popular language for teens, but I haven't seen anything that goes beyond that besides online courses, or post-secondary course options. The number of Japanese-Canadians does not warrant a possibility of a Japanese Immersion program in Canada; as mentioned before, French Immersion is only found in the provinces outside of Quebec because of the official bilingual status.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative