BoGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all,

there are some of these Japan ONLY games that are playable even without knowledge of japanese..

Touch de Dokodon (some fun 2 stylus drum game)
Osu Tatakae Ouendan (even though there's an english version, it's a different game)
Rittai Picross (maybe not everyone would like but being a Picross fan I was happy to find out this one)

I used to play Custom Battler Bomberman, Bangai-O Spirit, Space Invaders Extreme and Rhythm Tengoku Gold before they came out in english.. and for sure there are some translation patch for some games but that's not what I'm looking for.

do you know other Japanese Only releases, be arcade or puzzle or other, that are pretty good and fully playable for a non-japanese reading gamer. I'm sure there's many other Gems out there ;P

Cheers
gbasp.gif

swornsecrets

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is he being racist? He didnt say anything against anyone he just wants a list of jap games.

On Topic: EDIT: sorry no, for most of the jap games I have played you do have to have some knowledge of japanese. If I thin of any where you don't I will re-edit this post.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
Tanas said:
irpacynot said:
So...racist much?
rolleyes.gif
You have issues...
'

Yup...with racism.

Jump on the bandwagon of ignorance all you like. It doesn't change the derogatory nature of the word.

Seeing as how Jap is quite clearly a shortening of Japanese (as Eur is for Europe, or Aus is for Australia, or USA is for United States) -- the only negative connotations surrounding the word seem to be the ones YOU give it...

The three letters alone mean nothing more than the first three letters of the words Japan or Japanese...

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say it is no more insulting than the context...

If someone means it as a derogatory term -- that would seem to be quite different than using it as a abbreviated term than just refers to something as "being Japanese" or "from Japan" -- Which is, by itself, only negative if you see it as such...

BoGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol .. all these replies and not one suggestion of 'Japanese' playable game.

irpacynot .. I seriously don't consider myself as being racist, if the fact that I used 'Jap' as a diminutive brings you to that conclusion then you're being mislead. Especially considering I'm talking about a game Region (Jap, US, Eur) and not people..
blink.gif

SO .. anyone with something to say about the real subject of my post.. Japanese games that are playable for non-Japenese people and worth mentioning ?
ph34r.gif

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jet impulse
you have to fly airplanes to shoot other airplanes, very playable due to the menu being english and the radar pretty much marking all your targets.

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Zane said:
Some people say that Jap is insulting, like how the N word is for Afro-Americans. No idea what the real deal is though.
if i recall correctly during wwII people called japanese jap (not as a short form, but rather as an insult?) and now it still holds water? so yeah.

i dont find it racist too, dont see the problem. OP just likes Japanses games because.. well i cant say USA games > Japan games, can i?... OP's just asking for (J) games with a barrier which isnt thick enough to deter him from playing it. >_>

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Everyone here who says that "Jap" isn't racist obviously doesn't hang around a lot of Asian people. Japanese-Americans find the term quite offensive.

Maybe the topic starter wasn't being intentionally racist, but that doesn't change the fact that "Jap" is a racist term coined in the US during WWII in the propaganda against the Japanese.

Go call a Japanese-American a "Jap" to their face and then come back here and say that it's not racist.

irpacynot is absolutely correct.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Depends where you are, really. "Paki" is offensive in the UK because it's used as a racial slur against all people from India, Pakistan etc. In Australia, it's mostly viewed as just a harmless abbreviation just referring to people from Pakistan, like Brit.

Jap probably isn't viewed as being particularly offensive in most countries, but because of the word previously being used in manners like this it carries unpleasant baggage in the US.

supermansaysyoucanslapa.jpg

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Depends where you are, really. "Paki" is offensive in the UK because it's used as a racial slur against all people from India, Pakistan etc. In Australia, it's mostly viewed as just a harmless abbreviation just referring to people from Pakistan, like Brit.

Jap probably isn't viewed as being particularly offensive in most countries, but because of the word previously being used in manners like this

superman-says-you-can-slap-a-jap.jpg

It carries unpleasant baggage in the US.
You do have a point and I see where you're coming from with your position, but irpacynot and I are American (at least his flag says that he is). My post was really addressed to the Americans replying to this thread who don't think it's a racist term.

There's a pretty large Asian-American community where I live and a fair number of them are Japanese-Americans, most of whom belong to the JACL. My girlfriend is also a JACL member. She (and every other Japanese-American I know) hates the term.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iPikachu said:
if i recall correctly during wwII people called japanese jap (not as a short form, but rather as an insult?) and now it still holds water? so yeah.

close. they acctually called them nips short for nippon which is the japanese word for japan. but calling someone jap is the same thing. that why i always write JPN for when i abbreviate japan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1