Hacking Jailbroken PS3 upgrade and downgrade question

personofthefurby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Jailbroken PS3, but I still want to play online. I know that updating it will get rid of the jailbreak.

I was only wondering though, that if I wanted to update the firmware, could I just down grade it when the downgrade software mentioned on the homepage came out?

So it's at 3.41, I update to 3.5 to play online, then back to 3.41 to play backups?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - If the downgrade works as advertised. We still have to see.

2 - The upgrade keeps your game and activity logs (which show you running backup managers and homebrew instead of real games), so you'd want to wipe those before upgrading... but we're not sure what Sony can check and ban for (or how the logs fully work) yet, so it's a risk.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
It's tough to have your cake and eat it too
wink.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Modders already have the jailbreak and have dissected it and produced various improvements.

The problem is we don't know what Sony could ban for because the bans happen on THEIR end, that's not something we have access to... so the best we can do is try to determine what will get you banned or not by gathering info on banned players and making some sort of checklist to try to compare and find common links.

The problem with THAT is Sony hasn't banned anybody yet.

personofthefurby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see now. So they might ban you for just having a backup loader or any homebrew on a ps3, we just don't know yet?

And what are the rumors going around? Such as, are they going to just do a wide sweep of bans like microsoft?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personofthefurby said:
I see now. So they might ban you for just having a backup loader or any homebrew on a ps3, we just don't know yet?

And what are the rumors going around? Such as, are they going to just do a wide sweep of bans like microsoft?

At this point Sony has gone the route of only allowing the latest firmware to access the PSN network. Since jailbreak PS3s MUST be on 3.41 this effectively bans them from PSN. But they are not going the Xbox360 which bans physical devices based on their serial numbers from the Live network. Sony has been working around the various hacks that people have come up with that fool PSN into thinking it's running the latest firmware. The latest PSN update a few days ago closed the latest loophole, so PSN access has again been disabled for Jailbroken PS3s.

I think we need to talk about the Jailbroken PS3s as DISABLED from PSN. Only because when you say BANNED it brings up the X360 scenario which is not the case and I think confuses people.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
doyama said:
Sony has been working around the various hacks that people have come up with that fool PSN into thinking it's running the latest firmware. The latest PSN update a few days ago closed the latest loophole, so PSN access has again been disabled for Jailbroken PS3s.

The last PSN hack was to pretend the console was a debug unit, which for some reason weren't forced to update to access PSN.
All they did was force all console types.

They can detect retail consoles that are pretending to be debug consoles too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm