Iwata On 3DS.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, May 11, 2010.

May 11, 2010

Iwata On 3DS. by Hadrian at 8:41 AM (2,139 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I underlined parts that I found to be interesting. Firstly I liked the comment on making the 3D part of a game to extend to gameplay more than just visuals, that is the only part of 3D gaming that I am interested in. Things either jumping out or me feeling like I'm controlling stuff in a box doesn't appeal to me I am more interested in the gameplay aspects which I feel that Nintendo is interested in too.

Secondly I think there is no doubt that this handheld would offer an significant jump in looks this time, especially with the PSP being 5 years old they would be stupid to not at least offer PSP looks. I really doubt it would match something like even the first year of 360 of course.

Also it does sound like the 3rd parties have had it for some time which means that games will be of more quality than the first year of DS & Wii titles.

Sources summary of another source.

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    So long as I can get a few more polys, decent texture, and cut scenes that dont look like ass I dont care about graphics. I'm still dying to see how the 3d will be used come e3. Just the technique could make or break with the naive western devs.

3. Jemlee

Member Jemlee GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Gotta agree that shovelware 3ds would suck, but when done right.... MAN THAT IS AWESOME:yaysp:

4. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    As long as there's decent to high 3rd party support, it pretty much (almost)guarantees my purchase.

Can't wait for this. May look like a novelty concept, but you can't deny that Nintendo's novelties have been pretty fun in one way or another! :yayds:

I've always like their novelty gameplay.

5. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    If a console is hugely popular with people who aren't concentrating on the "scene" it'll be plagued with shovelware. PSX, PS2, Wii etc. Even the Gameboy line had a shiton of quickly produced games, only that we didn't pay that much attention to them.

Best to just ignore the crap, buy the good and things will work out.

6. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Well, problems is, that's where it goes wrong...
    Parents buy shovelware because they think it's good for their children. They don't know that it's shovelware, and leave the good games to rot away in stores.

7. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    That is why gamers must buy the good, shit will sell and it'll cause more shit, it'll always happen. If sales for good stuff are moderately good and publishers can make a little profit from them they will spend time on games as its good for their portfolio to have a well rated game that has made a little profit. If they think that people who own a DS or Wii will only buy Imagine Gynaecologist then those will be the games they make.

Sure not everyone can afford games so they don't have the choice but others can at least try. Even waiting for prices to drop rather than pirating or buying used games would help.

Preach mode off today. [​IMG]

8. Jemlee

Member Jemlee GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    @ Berthenk .... OMG DA TRUTH!!!

'Magic doesn't buy shovelware - Parents do!'
    'Magic can't stop love, But parents can! [​IMG]'

Anyhoo just realized the truth there good point.

9. MarkDarkness

Member MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    Am I the only one that gets headaches after watching a lot of 3D? In Avatar I was just fine, but playing 3 hours of 3D Assasin's Creed over at my friend's house left me dizzy as fuck. And that was on a 22' monitor.

I can't imagine any form of heavy-duty playing being possible on a screen with only a few inches. Clearly the 3DS is aimed at the casual market, as Iwata himself points out.

Our loss.

10. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    they are still very hopeful that everything should go well since 3d is a new move on a handheld and hence difficult to predict

11. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    Most of the awnsers are very political. The third-party leak is frickin' bullshit because the news was hosted on Nintendo´s own site... The third-party denvelopmend isn new either because we know that they got a dev-kit. Nothing new here [​IMG]

When will the big brands starrting blogs with EVERYTHING they now in it. (Not common-keys and shit, but the specs, games, prices and NAMES) Pull your mouth open Iwata!!!

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    You know, if I wasn't blind in one eye, I'd actually be excited for the 3DS.

The docs told me that I could get an artificial lens put in that eye to regain my 3D sight (like a cataracts surgery), but unless I hit the lottery or Obama's magic health care reform actually works, I'll never be able to afford the surgery. I'd really love to get that surgery too, seeing forever in 2D royally sucks, let me tell you.

I think Ninty will be very successful with the 3DS.

13. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    That reform shit works, it's like 50 years old in Holland and everything you need for a monthly fee. The system is perfect (from my eyes)!

14. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Games do not have to be played in 3D though. You can turn that feature off.

15. .Darky

Member .Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Peru
    I see what you did there.

Guys, if the 3D feature also enhances gameplay then maybe even some shovelware titles would be considered decent games. Who knows?

16. DCG

Member DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I hope the 3DS will get a nice metroid title [​IMG]

17. MarkDarkness

Member MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    While that is saddening, 3D isn't what it's cracked up to be. You'd probably be really disappointed to find out that the characters just pop slightly out of the screen and sometimes shit comes flying your way... big deal.

The industry is just hyping this feature like there was no tomorrow because it's their way out of piracy. It generates full revenue because pirates can't do a cam record of a 3D movie. 3D games need specialized hardware and new GFX cards to be bought. Etc.

As usual, they are forcing upon the layman an illusory idea of what is "fun". And people are falling for it again, which is okay, I guess. Nothing new.

Only thing you are really missing is the 3D version of Avatar, which was really fucking cool. But that took 10 years to make... people aren't being successful in reproducing Cameron's work. It's not even coming close.

18. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Oh, I wonder what the actual name will be, then.

High end games to casual games - well, we've had our share of the casual games. MOAR HARCOAR PL0X.

Still interested in this, seems like it'll be a nice handheld [​IMG]

19. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    . Naturally, you won't make a game interesting by just making the visuals 3D. It's when you offer an interactive experience in the 3D visuals as part of a set with something that is interesting that you first have value as entertainment.
    This is what has made Nintendo awesome.Any other company would have just made the visuals 3D just like what Sony is doing to their PS3 now.
    Even the Movie "Avatar" had it's visuals in 3D and that effect wasn't used effectively.

I wonder what the name of the console will be, 'cos Nintendo always has Innovative names.

20. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    "Will Nintendo have more surprises for E3 other than the 3DS?

"I can't say if there will or will not be surprises. If, for example, I said, 'there will be a surprise,' there wouldn't be any meaning, as everyone would be disappointed because of anticipation being exceedingly high.""

HA! So he admitted it! Nothing can match our unreasonable expectations! Nintendo fails again! /sarcasm highlighting the irony of overanalyzing shit in the information age

I'm just hoping that, like the DSi's camera, the 3D of this system is the least impressive/important thing about it. Granted 5 years ago you couldn't argue to me that I would enjoy a touch-screen game more than a button-pushy game, but you could definitely have handed me "The World Ends With You" and completely destroy my preconceived notion that touch screens are a terrible gaming idea. Exactly what game* could anyone possible show me that would make me sing the praises of 3D?

*this is a hypothetical, non-existent (as of yet) game