Gaming I've narrowed it down to 2 monitors...

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hello again, I'm getting closer and closer to getting a new monitor, and I think I've narrowed it down to 2 very good ones.

First there's the "Sephi Monitor", which you can check out right HERE.

Then there's the new monitor I found which you can check out HERE.

You can also see a comparison between the two (first one is on the left, second on the right) HERE.

For those of you who are too lazy to check what the differences are:

NEW MONITOR

Pros:
-Supports 1080p
-Supposedly it's 20000:1, though I read a review where a guy said it was actually 1000:1.
-Bigger resolution
-Built-in speakers

Cons:
-Half an inch smaller (which really shouldn't even be a con, since it's probably unnoticeable)
-Costs 20 bucks more.

I've asked 3 friends and they both said the new monitor (the one on the right in the comparison page) is the better one, and it's a great deal for that price. What do you guys think?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Whatever you do, don't buy a monitor just because it has built-in speakers. I'd say that built-in speakers are more of a con rather than something good.

1080p aka 1920x1080 is a rather nice resolution, but you should know that the higher resolution the more is demanded of your computer.

Otherwise I'd say that that is a pretty nice monitor for its price.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will echo the sentiments of the previous replies:
built in speakers have never been good, especially since LCD became common.
"1080P", I believe most monitors (if you ignore the widescreen part) have been that resolution for about 10 years now. edit 1994 vertical res of 1024 was introduced: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/computer/v...-resolution.htm

Price: Generally when it comes to monitors (as well as keyboards and mice) my advice is along the lines of they last several years more than hardware is useful and regardless what you have under the hood they are what you look at and touch.

Go with the newer one.

BumFace

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i think you should get the one that you wanted originally (the first link that is) because it is the one that you originally wanted and saves you money and i can tell you have speakers at home

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Well, I just listed the built-in speakers just becuase it has them and the other one doesn't, but I won't really use them. It's basically down to do I want to spend 20 more dollars to be able to have 1080p or not, and I'm thinking I do. I want to have the best quality possible for my 360 games and HD movies without spending too much, and 20 more dollars won't make a huge difference for me.

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're using it for your 360 right? I think I know which monitor you're talking about, is it this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824009157

Do you have HDMI cables for your 360? If you do, it would look great on this monitor, but if I were you, I would go for the cheaper one because I wouldn't be able to get the full HD experience without HDMI cables.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Yeah, that's the one Shakraka. I don't have HDMI cables, but I'm willing to buy them if the monitor I purchase supports 1080p. Linkiboy found me a link to an HDMI cable on newegg that only costs 10 bucks, so I was gonna get the 1080p monitor and that cable.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Go with the cheaper one, as you're obviously about as clueless as posters here get.

I mean, a contrast ratio of 20000:1 and you believe them. Get real.

Hint hint: Neither of them are that good.

EDIT: Though, the new monitor is that $20 worth better considering the 360. No smudging or anything.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Honestly, at the end of the day, the higher resolution won't make much difference at all for your PC (though it may for your 360, depending on how many games actually run 1080p). But at only $20 more it's a no-brainer going for the new one.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Guys, I KNOW its not 20000:1. Like I said, a guy in a review said it's actually 1000:1.

Well... I was expecting completely different responses, but wither way, the general consensus seems to be that I should get the more expensive monitor, which I'm fine with. I should have enough money for it by next week. I just want my movies and 360 games to look really good.

EDIT: What do you guys think about THIS? It's like 40 more bucks than the original monitor I was gonna get, but its 24" and max rez of 1920x1200

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That actually looks pretty good from the reviews, and there's free shipping too. If it were me, I'd go for it if I was willing to shell out the extra money.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I showed it to my mom and she was really impressed by it and seemed to give me the OK, so right now I'm leaning towards getting this third monitor. I really doubt I can get anything like that one for that price.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
War said:
EDIT: What do you guys think about THIS? It's like 40 more bucks than the original monitor I was gonna get, but its 24" and max rez of 1920x1200
were you on the newegg forums by any chance?
ph34r.gif

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Trolly said:
Honestly, at the end of the day, the higher resolution won't make much difference at all for your PC (though it may for your 360, depending on how many games actually run 1080p). But at only $20 more it's a no-brainer going for the new one.

The higher resolution makes a massive difference if you can't run the 360 natively at the lower resolution.

Native resolution is always, no exceptions, better than scaled resolution.

QUOTE(War @ Feb 14 2009, 01:58 AM) Guys, I KNOW its not 20000:1. Like I said, a guy in a review said it's actually 1000:1.

Well... I was expecting completely different responses, but wither way, the general consensus seems to be that I should get the more expensive monitor, which I'm fine with. I should have enough money for it by next week. I just want my movies and 360 games to look really good.

If you want cheap and unreliable bad copies, you really want a screen like that. I'd rather go with an Acer/LG (and Asus and varied other such cheap but reliable brands, though LG tends to be cheapest) if I'm short on money - and when I'm not, always an Eizo. Eizos are simply better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: No sadly