Hacking I'VE BEEN FEEDING MY WII THIS?!

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is quality Verbatim MKM 003 media...

unacceptable.png

Yet my Wii still reads this flawlessly for some strange reason. For those getting DREs, it might be your burner. That sure was the case for me.

That's it, I'm doing the DVD5 trick. My Wii's laser will DIE otherwise.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The moral of this story? Always burn high speed media at high speeds.

I had burned the Japanese version of the game previously, except that time at 4x. The US version, I wanted to be a bit "more careful" and burned at 2.4x. Guess what? The Japanese version did significantly better in the test. There were some minor issues at the layerbreak, but the PIE errors only peaked at 42 as opposed to the 900+ atrocity I had at 2.4x.

So this is my experience! If you have high speed media, USE HIGH SPEEDS. I'm going to start burning stuff at least half the rated speed now. At any rate, I'm done with DL media. I'm burning SSBB to a DVD5 and skipping all the cinematics.

NikoK

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What should I do to help my wii laser from dying. I use memorex dvd-r and for brawl I use memorex Dvd-dl....Burn speeds? Disc Brand?

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that BS about burning at the slowest speed possible hasn't been true for years. Now that the quality of burners and media is better it is actually best to burn at higher speeds. I usually go somewhere between the middle and highest speed of a disc.

Like on 2.4-6x DL media I will burn at 4x with a Plextor burner.

Burning too slow causes as many read errors as burning too fast.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
dweirdo said:
rofl i had nec rw 2 and all my burns where 30% damaged or bad, than i bought new lg drive
biggrin.gif
My 3530a is a decent drive, horrible firmware support. I had to upgrade to an unknown Dell OEM firmware in order for it to burn to MKM 003, then back to NEC firmware to do quality testing. It's an OEM drive so NEC doesn't officially support it, the drive is missing from their website (it goes from 3520 to 3540) and all the burn strategies are outdated.
wacko.gif

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never played around that much with nec firmware with my nec 3500. Just stuck with new liggy fast rpc1 ones and called it a day. Sucks that you have to switch back to the stock firmware to do testing. At least you get to though. The 3500 doesn't support it period. Maybe with mediacodespeededit you can cook up a firmware that'll let you do both.

I ran out of mkm's and for the time being went and got some shitty media from best buy to play around with. It's dynex (best buy) 15pack dvd+r dl for $18. Same price as for a 5 pack of mkm's. Since I already had mkm's on order from online, why not get a 15 pack and play around with?

Burned with a samsung s203b sb03 fb+fr @ 12x pcav
tsstcorpcddvdwshs203bsbdx7.png

Pretty horrid, and normally I'd chuck it. But surprisingly, it works fine.

The MID is ricohjpn d01, but from what I gather, it's a fake. The hub printing doesn't match up. Plus, it's made in HK.

edit: for those who don't want to read too far into the details of pie and pif, consider "bad" discs ones that have either max pie>208 or max pif>4

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, none of you seem to know how to read those graphs

First of all, you can't get accurate C1/C2 error readings with any drive. Not many of them are very consistent through reading the entire disc. Lite-On is very good, though.

Secondly, for normal reading, C1 errors (or PI Errors) are fine as long as you don't get large areas with over 280 failures. C2 errors (or PI Failures) are fine as long as you don't get large areas with over 32 errors.

This means that the opening post's chart shows pretty bad media quality towards the end, but nowhere else on the disc.

And Ziddey's media is just fine.

For more information on the stuff, check out these forums:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/
Specifically, this topic:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/interpreting-...or-scans-80545/

I got some new Verbatim India made DVD-R 5s, and they had really bad failure rates at the beginning of the discs, and got errors when playing on the Wii... So I grabbed some cheap Sony DVD+Rs, which had bad end-of-disc scans. Between the two, I can probably make it through some entire games
tongue.gif

LinuxPoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

so does this mean my dvd is ok? the peaks are pretty ominous. I also changed my POT down to 534, and still get read errors, im praying to god its the disc

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should try doing PIPO scanning at a mid/low speed on your drive. I suggest using Nero DiscSpeed because it allows you to set this speed.

Your scan looks fine, though. And frankly, what matters is whether or not your wii's going to read it.

gamidi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Anyways guys, the most errors are after the 4 GB mark. The only time your wii will have a hard time is when loading the videos. If you are playing multiplayer which is on the first layer, i dont think you will have a problem even without the DVD5 trick.

LinuxPoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well heres my reasoning behind its a bad burn. I have 3 copies of brawl burned. 1 copy has no layer break, 2 have a layer break. All verbatim dvd+r DL. I adjusted the laser pot to 534 from 834. Whenever i freeze at a cutscene, sometimes it continues if i eject the disk and put it back in. However, if it continually doesnt work, i swap between the 3 disks, and sometimes i can get through it. Like i take disk 1 out, put in the disk without a layebreak, and the cutscene will advance another 3 seconds, freeze, put in the third and the cut scene continues and i continue to play. Really wondering whats causing this. Im praying to god its because i didnt close all applications running, and did other things while it burned.

FoulPlay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not sadly.
I have the same problem...
I had all my applications closed, and the NTSC-U version crashes at every fricking cut-scene, even have to skip the intro movie.

Super bad burn? I thought so.... UNTIL I SEEN THE IMAGE QUALITY OF THE VERBATIM DVD+R DL INDIA DISC.
I'd purchase the retail version, but the WiiKey wont read it. God damn you WiiKey.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.