I've become a weeb.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always had a fascination with Japanese culture.
Obviously, I enjoy Japanese video games. That much is a given, seeing as how this entire website is mainly for Nintendo fans who like homebrew.
A few years ago, I've ended up reading manga. It started with the Zelda ones by Akira Himekawa, then I got the first volume of the Kingdom Hearts adaptation.
Later on, I found out that One Punch Man was on Netflix. (This was before Cuties.) Having heard about the anime before on Film Theory, I decided to check it out.

I loved it.

I watched the whole series. I got the first volume of the manga. (Only the first.) When the second season was announced, I was as hyped as everybody else, and I watched the first two episodes of it on Hulu when they came out.

Then I lost interest.

I don't know why, but it just happened. It could have been the lesser animation of Season 2, but I just...dropped out.

Then Neon Genesis Evangelion came onto Netflix. I watched two episodes and dropped out.

However, in 2019, I started playing Persona 5.
This was the thing that made me realize that anime was great. So I bought the manga when it came out here in America.

However, it wasn't until two days ago that I discovered what would truly fuel my addiction to anime.

Crunchyroll is free.

Yep, that's all it took. I quickly went to the website and watched the first episode of Stardust Crusaders. That truly began my journey, and now, I can safely say that I'm a weeb.

So here's a few recommendations for people who want to get into anime (As in, here's three out of the four shows that I have bookmarked on the Crunchyroll app.)

1. One Punch Man. This is the only anime that I watched subbed through an entire season. It's hilarious, action-packed, and it's got great animation. There's something for just about everyone.
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I've seen a grand total of two episodes (S1E1 and S2E1), but I have already fallen in love with the show. It's great for anyone who knows the memes or just likes anime battles. I actually watched a dub of a few parts of the early portions of Stardust Crusaders on YouTube before diving in, and I kinda prefer that over subbed, but it left out some of the best parts of the first episode, so be warned if you take that route.
3. Ghost Stories. This is the most obscure one on this small list, but it's also the funniest. Basically, when ADV dubbed this show, they were given very loose guidelines for how to handle it (it was a huge flop in Japan). So, they decided to take this kids' show about high-schoolers defeating demons, and twist it into a demented comedy where one of the main characters is a pervert and another is a fundamentalist. I've only seen the first episode, but I love it.

Reactions: tfocosta

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
Neon Genesis Evangelion is awesome. But it's too complex and if your mood is not set for complex stuff, it may not work for you. :)

Have you tried the shonen mainstream animes like Bleach, Naruto and One Piece?

In addition to these and the ones you've already mentioned, here are my suggestions:

Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump, Hellsing, Trigun, Chobits, Hunter x Hunter, Fairy Tail, Rave Master, Full Metal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, Prison School, Gintama, Detective Conan, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Magi, Monster, Steins;Gate, Soul Eater, Fire Force, Vinland Saga, Berserk, Astro Boy, Slam Dunk, InuYasha, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh, Toriko, Nanatsu no Taizai, ...

Rurouni Kenshin is very influenced by the History of Japan as a country during the Meiji Era. And Vagabond is great too! Same theme!

Death Note is addictive... And anything by Junji Ito is worth having a look! His stories are spooky and his art is mesmerising! Start with Uzumaki.

Bakuman is interesting because it shows you the whole process of going from an amateur to a professional mangaka. It's from the creators of Death Note.

There are so many, so I didn't go into much detail, but look for a brief description online to help you to make your decision... :rofl:

I'm also crazy about Japan and Japanese culture (including manga and anime), so I always get excited with topics like these! :D

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Ghost Stories is hands down one of the best dubs you'll ever experience, and should be watched by everyone

FMA: Brotherhood is a good one that's action-y, yet still tells a fantastic story. It's probably up your alley given what you said you like so far. Fate/Zero as well, and My Hero Academia.

I'll also always recommend Little Busters! to anyone, regardless. Absolutely my favorite anime out there.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
My favourites are:
  • Nichijou
  • KonoSuba
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
  • Little Witch Academia
  • Laid-Back Camp
  • That Time I Reincarnated As a Slime
  • Natsume's Book of Friends
  • Non Non Biyori
  • FLCL
People will call me a heretic for this, but I prefer watching anime dubbed (as long as the dub is good, of course). It's nice not having to read as much, and appreciate delivery and animation more. I've seen the top four shows on this list both subbed and dubbed at one point, and their dubs are really good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient