Hacking Issues updating b9s

Spector

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi. I'm trying to update b9s so I can update Luma so I can update my 3ds.

First, I thought I already met the requirements to update luma just by adding in the new boot.firm. I held select while rebooting and my luma bootscreen still said Luma 7.1. So I decided to just download the latest LumaUpdater. It told me I needed to update b9s. I'm trying to follow the 3ds.guide for updating b9s. I'm at the point where it says to open the Luma Chainloader to install safeb9s. Problem is, holding Start brings up godmode9 instead of the chainloader.

After googling frantically and reading a bunch of threads here with somewhat similar problems, I decided maybe I should just go back and download Luma 7.1 boot.firm again and put it back. Maybe the new one was causing issues or something. For some reason, maybe the universe just hates my guts right now, (specifically) Luma 7.1's boot.firm or any other files from that folder for that matter wont go on my SD card. I get a "You need permission to perform that action" Luma 8.1 goes on fine. Luma 10.0.1 is added fine. Luma 7.1 gets this error.

I have no idea what to do and i'm kind of freaking out right now. I just want to play on my 3DS again.

I have 2 .firms in my payload folder. godmode9.firm and safeb9sinstaller.firm. godmode9 does NOT start with start_

I'd also like to note my boot.firm file disappears from my root everytime i launch godmode9. I'm not sure what's happening.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]

I'd also like to note my boot.firm file disappears from my root everytime i launch godmode9. I'm not sure what's happening.
This sounds like SD-corruption. Fake SD, dying SD or simply filesystem corruption. Disappearing files are no good. Time to check the SD:
  1. Copy all your data from the SD to a computer. Reformat the SD to FAT32, 32kb cluster size, if bigger than 32GB and using Windows with guiformat.
  2. Check your SD Windows, Linux, OS X.
    • If you get any errors replace the SD.
    • If you get no errors copy your files back on the SD and try again.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Spector

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This sounds like SD-corruption. Fake SD, dying SD or simply filesystem corruption. Disappearing files are no good. Time to check the SD:
  1. Copy all your data from the SD to a computer. Reformat the SD to FAT32, 32kb cluster size, if bigger than 32GB and using Windows with .
  2. Check your SD .
    • If you get any errors replace the SD.
    • If you get no errors copy your files back on the SD and try again.

The boot.firm file stays on there if I don't launch godmode9 and boot right to the 3ds home menu. I'm guessing godmode9 in particular is deleting it for some reason.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The boot.firm file stays on there if I don't launch godmode9 and boot right to the 3ds home menu. I'm guessing godmode9 in particular is deleting it for some reason.
Never heard of GodMode9 randomly deleting files.

After googling frantically and reading a bunch of threads here with somewhat similar problems, I decided maybe I should just go back and download Luma 7.1 boot.firm again and put it back. Maybe the new one was causing issues or something. For some reason, maybe the universe just hates my guts right now, (specifically) Luma 7.1's boot.firm or any other files from that folder for that matter wont go on my SD card. I get a "You need permission to perform that action" Luma 8.1 goes on fine. Luma 10.0.1 is added fine. Luma 7.1 gets this error.
This is certainly not normal. Something seems fishy with that SD. Please backup your data and do the test. Troubleshooting only makes sense with an SD proven to be good.

Reactions: Quantumcat

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Godmode9 doesn't delete files randomly like @KleinesSinchen already wrote. Copy the safeb9sinstaller to the root of your sd card and rename it to boot.firm. This should trigger automatically the installer to update your b9s. Create the boot9strap folder and put the latest release from b9s in it. Not the ntr version, not the dev version. Just simply the "normal" b9s. Sorry for my bad english. But i hope it is understandable.

Spector

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My SD card turned out to be okay. I'm not sure why boot.firm was getting deleted. But anyways, I did the renaming of safeb9s to boot.firm, updated b9s that way, replaced it back with the latest luma boot.firm and it worked perfectly. Was able to update my 3DS no problem. Thank you

Also would like to note, after doing all that, I plugged my microsd (i'm on a n3ds) card in my pc multiple times, put it back in my 3ds, launched godmode9 checked via network sharing and boot.firm is staying in place unlike before. So, everything seems normal now. Not sure what was happening but everything is working smoothly.

Last edited by Spector,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My SD card turned out to be okay. I'm not sure why boot.firm was getting deleted. But anyways, I did the renaming of safeb9s to boot.firm, updated b9s that way, replaced it back with the latest luma boot.firm and it worked perfectly. Was able to update my 3DS no problem. Thank you

Also would like to note, after doing all that, I plugged my microsd (i'm on a n3ds) card in my pc multiple times, put it back in my 3ds, launched godmode9 checked via network sharing and boot.firm is staying in place unlike before. So, everything seems normal now. Not sure what was happening but everything is working smoothly.
Did you actually copied everything off the SD card, reformatted it in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size, and full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw? This is one of only real ways to check if your card is fake or dying.

Even if your card passes [ H2testw / F3 / F3X ], be aware that defective SD cards can be manufactured with poor quality controllers where files randomly get deleted and corrupted like in this example:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Do you remember this song?