Hacking ISO vs CSO

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that a disadvantage to CSO files are longer loading times. Do CSO files tend to be prone to gameplay lagging? If the only drawback to CSO's are longer load times, then I suppose its worth being able to save space on a memory stick

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think about it logically and you will relise that yes with certain games it can lag them yes

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think about it logically and you will relise that yes with certain games it can lag them yes

if i convert a cso file back to iso will this solve the problem of gameplay lagging. in other words is a converted iso file the same as a file that was originally iso formatted.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
in other words is a converted iso file the same as a file that was originally iso formatted.
Not always. CSO is not just compression, it's also used for ripping data out of the ISO. Usually the data removed is stuff considered useless for hackers anyways (such as the OFW update files), but sometimes videos are resampled and crap like that. It just depends on what whoever converted the CSO at the time decided to do.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest as well, the vast majority of games ive played CAN be compressed and they dont lag at all regardless. The only ones I've personally come across that I even notice lag are the GTA games and a handful of others like Outrun, God Of War (both games), Tomb Raider (both games). But out of the 90 or so on my 64GB cards, those are the only ones that take a hit. Ive got Killzone on mine, compressed to CSO and its totally fine, runs the same as the ISO, no performance hit so i say go for it

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I prefer playing games in an .iso format. Although they are much larger in size, the quality in terms of playing the game is much better than with a .cso file. The game has less lag, and I have had a Disgaea .cso that would often give me the black screen of death in the middle of games.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, it depends on whether the game is streaming data as you play. CSO sucks for games that constantly stream data as the on-the-fly decompression necessary in a CSO causes lag.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest as well, the vast majority of games ive played CAN be compressed and they dont lag at all regardless. The only ones I've personally come across that I even notice lag are the GTA games and a handful of others like Outrun, God Of War (both games), Tomb Raider (both games). But out of the 90 or so on my 64GB cards, those are the only ones that take a hit. Ive got Killzone on mine, compressed to CSO and its totally fine, runs the same as the ISO, no performance hit so i say go for it
What about Assassin's Creed?

BlackAngel5

Trophies
Website
sasugasugoi.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
What about Assassin's Creed?

Assasin's Creed works fine as a CSO for me, and I compress my ISOs to a level of 9, so it should be good

BlackAngel5

Trophies
Website
sasugasugoi.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not ttly sure, I've never really tried it before. I wouldn't think so, but if ur deep into the game and REALLY don't want to risk losing ur save data, i wouldnt recommend it. if u do end up compressing it however, u mind telling me how it goes? I'm curious now on whether it'll delete the save data or not...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Generally, if a game has the option to install data, it would be best to leave it as ISO. Same with game that has size less than 200 MB.

Kingdom Hearts and Project Diva both lag in CSO.

BlackAngel5

Trophies
Website
sasugasugoi.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Generally, if a game has the option to install data, it would be best to leave it as ISO. Same with game that has size less than 200 MB.

Kingdom Hearts and Project Diva both lag in CSO.

IDK about project Diva I've heard that one lags, but in kingdoms hearts I have it as a CSO and I haven't installed the data and it works perfectly. I've always wondered, why does the kingdom hearts birth by sleep tell u to install the data?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    Thank you
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Hey there! :)