shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Impossible to say that sales will be lost... Cd's that are burned need a console to play it in and so does the wii and others so a person like me who played gba on the computer finds piracy the only reason tht he should buy a DS since there are no available games (or even DS's) in his locality
So in a way... piracy in some areas contributes to sales rather than diminishing sales

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
teonintyfive said:
djprotoss said:
You mean RIP nintendo in the same way it doesn't make any money out of the DS since flashcarts came out?
I'm not convinced. In practical terms, a working iso loader (one which somehow avoids being disabled by firmware updates) will only get used by a small (if significant) propotion of all the wii owners. For one thing, remember the target demographic for the wii is much, much wider than the traditional gamer types, and I can't see many people outside of the geeks who will use such a thing.
You have to BUY flashcards.
Yeah and for the Wii ISO Loader you have to "BUY" Twilight Princess, an SD Card and DVD Blanks. So what was your point again?

Fact is that there are A LOT of studies that show that "piracy" never lost anybody anything. Just shows that people will believe anything you show them on TV. Just run a few anti piracy spot and everybody will go "Oh my gosh! Making illagel copys of games/films/musik kills people. Those pirates should recieve capital punishment!" -.-

Btw. the Dreamcast died because it was ahead of it's time, had crappy 3rd party support and Segas marketing department must have been on crack, since the ads they ran could have been for a toaster for all the public knew.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
Yeah and for the Wii ISO Loader you have to "BUY" Twilight Princess, an SD Card and DVD Blanks. So what was your point again?

Fact is that there are A LOT of studies that show that "piracy" never lost anybody anything. Just shows that people will believe anything you show them on TV. Just run a few anti piracy spot and everybody will go "Oh my gosh! Making illagel copys of games/films/musik kills people. Those pirates should recieve capital punishment!" -.-

Btw. the Dreamcast died because it was ahead of it's time, had crappy 3rd party support and Segas marketing department must have been on crack, since the ads they ran could have been for a toaster for all the public knew.
I had to quote that as its all true.

thinkoutsidetheb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Wii's success has been based on Nintendo creating a "Blue ocean". So this will be a problem for Nintendo how? Mary House Mom is gonna know how to load an elf or elderly people are gonna hock pirated Wii iso's on the corner of their elderly unit?

I hate spam in the morning...

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy did not kill Dreamcast. Sega killed Dreamcast. they fucked up on marketing, didn't have the 3rd party support they required, and look at the systems prior to the Dreamcast. Saturn? Anyone? Yea, that lasted 30 seconds, then they forced out another system. It was THEIR fault, not piracy.

The only thing piracy ever killed was computers. They never stood a chance. They'll be missed.

(if anyone starts flaming me for that, you need to turn on your irony-checking program. preferably the one you d-loaded via a torrent tracker
tongue.gif
)

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thinkoutsidetheb0x said:
The Wii's success has been based on Nintendo creating a "Blue ocean". So this will be a problem for Nintendo how? Mary House Mom is gonna know how to load an elf or elderly people are gonna hock pirated Wii iso's on the corner of their elderly unit?

I hate spam in the morning...

Amen. This thread is garbage. We all know Nintendo/Wii/DS etc etc etc is not going away

MelonSmasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joewolf2 said:
I agree will skedone, piracy never killed a console. Heck it can even make the sales better.

One example is the PSP when Dark_alex made his open edition firmware, that the PSP started to sell like hot cakes.

I completely agree. I bought a psp for that firmware and i would have never bought a ds if there were no flash cards... The only great console that died (and i still love
wub.gif
) was the dreamcast. sweet sweet dreamcast. but that was because the suckish security , but mostly sony's fault...with there ps2 xD.

and by the way... there are already a lot of , I really mean a lot of modchips. okay maybe some people will pirate games with the iso loader ,but does this really make difference with the thousands of modchips that are already build in the wii's?(p.s. i have a wiikey
yaynds.gif
)

aargh i just read the whole topic, shut up with the dreamcast died story's . It was and will always be a great console, but they made some stupids faults. Like someone else said: 'the crappy third party support'. (yeah i paid 90 euro's for samba de amigo). 2: crappy marketing.. and 3: sony made the ps2 which had better marketing and was a lot cheaper. a tiny part of it is indeed maybe the lack of security, but definetly not the whole problem. the should have released the dreamcast everywhere at the same time and not first in japan and a few months later in usa. 4: there games were not region free and the developpers had trouble with making the games so a lot of the games came only in japan and usa only a few came to europe. later they fixed the problem ,but it was already to late.

so now happy
tongue.gif

Meister_Li

Trophies
XP
Country
I gotta say, it's a question of perspective - back then when we where hacking the GC, it was easy and quick and I did it - but I still bought thouse games I really WANTED (e.g. Metroid, Zelda, Mario) - but back then, I didn't have the money for other games since I was not really earning much. Today, I have a Wii and I earn my own money. And guess what? I don't plan to pirate any Wii game. I only see this as an opportunety to test a game (since Nintendo doesn't offer Demos) or play GC games that are just too hard to get these days (65 Bucks for Tales of Symphonia? Yeah, right!) which is why I hope this will support GC-Games at some point as well.

blazingwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me say a few things about Dreamcast's demise:

1. Piracy did NOT kill the Dreamcast, it was only small factor, very small indeed. They wouldn't have made enough money to support themselves anyway even if there was zero piracy.

2. Piracy back in the Dreamcast days was MUCH tougher than it is now. Back then most people had dial-up connections and having a CD-Burner was kind of big deal. Regular joes like us has dial-up connections and didn't have the patience to wait forever for one single DC-ISO, and even then, make sure you don't get called in the middle of a download...

3. Dreamcast was also failing to due to other issues, no support from some big companies like EA after the stunt they pulled with Saturn, fans losing interest and loyalty due to the way Sega handled business.

4. Dreamcast wasn't making much money in the first place.

In the case of Wii, the people who are going to use this softmod pale in comparison to the amount of Wii owners in America. I'd say what, MAYBE 50,000-100,000 people in America are going to use this softmod for piracy alone and thats pushing it. Thats nothing for Nintendo. A good fraction of them probably bought a Wii simply for the fact that they could pirate games in the first place. Thats what drives PSP sales nowadays.

Also there are people who have good intentions for these things. I know parents/dads whose kids destroy a game, and their screwed, atleast they have an option here. Also good for those who want to keep their games in mint condition, buy the game, load the ISO. I have a friend who buys SEALED PS2 games and runs the ISOs. I don't see why though, you never get to see/use the manual! Oh well.

DSFlashcarts are so so SO easy to get. Anyone can order them, my grandma could. Setting it up is also easy as pie, drag some files onto an SDCard. Then its just dragging NDS roms from there and anyone with a brain or a friend with a brain can find them. Yet DS game sales and hardware sales are still rising...and rising....and rising...and rising. Just as the amount of DS Flashcard owners are rising. Yeah its money Nintendo isn't making, but its not hurting them much if at all. I'm not saying its not morally wrong, all I'm saying is that it didn't kill the system.

Anyway yeah, people always want to see the bad things, but they never see the whole thing, and its always just a little exaggerated.

night_chrono

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I bought a psp was due to CFW by dark_alex. I don't use it for much more then emulators (and skype calls).

Anything I would want to say has already been said. So I will just leave this topic now eagerly waiting for the iso loader to be released.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
meh, the core audience for Wii owners are older people and little kids...that don't know about modchips and iso loaders. look at E3, and the direction Nintendo is heading...I think it's a smart move...iso loader will NOT kill the wii like with dreamcast. it's COMPLETELY different...

wow people need to open their eyes

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I figured the Wii would be hacked to load .isos eventually, but I honestly didn't think it would be this soon. It doesn't exactly BOTHER me, I'm just a little ticked I had to pay nearly $700 for something thousands are gonna get free, lol. Then again, like I said in another thread... you just can't trust these people online. Wanin was kicked out of the team for a reason, which leads me to not trusting him. Also, he releases half-assed apps a lot of the time :\ I respect his work, but not the way he delivers it.

However, I'm also kind of glad I bought a modchip. This way, I don't have to wait until someone decides we're "worthy" enough for the backup loader. Also, I'm sure the loader is going to have a lot of requirements and downsides. The chip doesn't.

slimpyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo knows if it releases a *good* game with good hardore gameplay,people will buy the crap out of it. i dont know about anyone else, but the last game i bought was smash bros brawl. seriously, nintendos software sucks.

Starfire12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Original PS1 would never have been as successful as it was if it had not been so easy to mod. Sticking with Cartridges was the big screwup regarding the N64. Making piracy easier - moralities aside - will not hurt the Wii.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything I was going to say has preatty much been said (eg, how the dreamcast was doomed even if nobody ever copied a single game, etc) but I wanted to add that piracy has been around as long as there have been to things to pirate. The first ever MS product was pirated in the 70's, and that was on paper tape, of all things. MS is shockingly still around.

In personal experience people in the "real world" do not know anything about how to actually pirate if anything, if it's not something insanely simple like napster was. I'm amazed at how many shocked expressions I get over something simple like copying a movie dvd. Heck, look at the forums and see all the posts about people who are stuck on how to play there DS games simply because there in a .rar file....

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
night_chrono said:
The only reason I bought a psp was due to CFW by dark_alex. I don't use it for much more then emulators (and skype calls).

Anything I would want to say has already been said. So I will just leave this topic now eagerly waiting for the iso loader to be released.
Exactly the reason I got my PSP, for the emulation.
Lord knows It doesn't have five good games QUOTEDamn, why would man create something that sucks so damn much?! (god)

Piracy will keep hardware sales strong!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, btw i already asked this a bit ago but you werent there so im asking it again. have you ever wore skirts before, and if you did, how does it feel?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why am I going to waste an hour when I can read Chary summing it up for me in ten minutes
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yes I had done. Was great, but never done it again since.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or watch the trailers individually
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, why not?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Lost interest.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, The trailers are all on the Nintendo YT.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, for me its the opposite, im interested in skirts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw going to sleep in 10 minutes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And a photo of my mom's tits are saved in your phone
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, still not
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Psi still has plenty of uremum's photos on his phone.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm good night
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Police probably interrogated him, asking if the pics were hot.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone's phone gets taken by the police what are you doing on yours :mellow:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Excuse me sir, are these naked pics of kens mum?" ...yes officer. "Cool, can you send me those"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn by now you'd think Ken's mum would be in your auto fill category must be slacking
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It be more like this: Police Officer- "Cool, let me show you the ones I have on my phone."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm sure your phone has a 1:1 copy of Diddy's
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    The 'P' in Diddy stands for EPstein.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You were warned by the government not to install the diddy rom img went and did it now you got take down notices
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Please pay us in MoneyPak to get access to your phone. :rofl2:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya has been raided for sex trafficking my mom now he's running
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Bigonya has been raided for sex trafficking my mom now he's running