ismart mm -- POR problems

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Another World, Dec 9, 2010.

Dec 9, 2010
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i really need some people to help me test and i do not need speculation. sorry for that statement but i'm running out of testing time! =P

using a 4gb class4 kingston formatted with the panasonic formatter. por worked at first, with cheats. after about 20 minutes i tried to use the game "start" menu and got a black screen. rebooted 3x, same problem each time, yet save continued to load. around the 4th or 5th time the game simply black screens after the intro "credits" (about 1-2 seconds after boot). i reformatted the msd card twice, put on a clean install of the ismart mm software, and a clean rom from the pc which had not been used. the game continues to black screen. its sort of acting like something is wrong with with the flash kit but i can't imagine what that could be. other roms/homebrew work just fine. in-game menu continues to work correctly for other games.

if anyone has an ismart mm would you be so kind as to run some tests for me?

thanks,
    -another world

2. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Would love to help, but I don't have one.

Isn't the iSMM just a DS2/iPlayer clone? You could try it on a DS2, or if it's a GBA game an iPlayer?

P.S. Love your new sig.

3. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    It isn't a clone.

4. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I tried Castlevania: POR on my iSMM for a while and saved (and died xD). Then I left it for at least an hour and retried the game and it seems to be working fine. Cheats still work, I can access the start menu fine. I tried rebooting a couple times and it is still fine (although it froze when I met Death and finished my chat with him...though I think it might be because of a cheat).
    I'm using an 8GB class2 sandisk formatted with SD Formatter. Maybe there was a problem with an earlier batch? (I got mine within this week...and it was probably sent not too long ago).

5. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    Not sure if i can help on this, but if my memory is good, windirt told me a long time ago that this game require to have cheat code enabled during game and not at once the game is started. He told me that this game is protected against cheat codes and will corrupt the save if cheats are loaded at start.
    Probably elixirdream could confirm or not that, i will ask him.

Now, if i have time i will give a try to see if i have the same issue.

6. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    i just checked and i do not have cheats enabled in the software menu, nor are any cheats selected in the database. i start the rom and i get the first 4 screens (advertisements, esrb stuff, etc). after the 4th one fades away i'm looking at two black screens.

this is really confusing me as i was playing the rom on this msd card for more than an hour before i had my first problem. since the problem i have reformatted and now everything is a clean install with files not previously used, and the problem remains.

the in-game menu will not load, looks like i'm locked up completly.

i've deleted the save file, the game recreates it, and then i black screen at the same spot.

next up is a few formats =P.

-another world

7. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    reformatted once with windows, then a full format with the panasonic formatter.
    downloaded a fresh copy of the software.
    put the software (v1.06) and a new copy of the rom on the msd card.

same problem! LOL. what gives?

i don't even had the cheat database on the msd card at this point.

------

put the file and software on a 2gb japanese kingston and its working.

could the crashing have damaged something on the 4gb kingston? i've tested about 50 homebrew files and 30 roms since POR crashed and they all work just fine. i've reformatted 9 times so far, and only POR is giving me problems (well combat of giants has AP issues, but thats different).

------

tested on another 4gb kingston and the rom is working. i'm really confused now how the rom is broken for that 1 msd card? it was working at first, then crashed, and now it won't work. EVERYTHING else i've tried is working on that same msd card. what explains this?

-another world

8. Mbmax

Antarctica
    I have not even a clue. This is very strange.

Yesterday i tested POR on my iSMM. Played an hour on it with several settings and not noticied any problems.

Edit : Have you tried metroid pinball on this kingston to see if you get an error while playing ?

9. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    i took the same msd card, didn't format it or anything. deleted the .sav and put on the akaio firmware. popped it into my ak2i and POR is working just fine. after that i deleted the save again and put it back in the ismart mm and its freezing at the same point. lol.

i have two of the exact same 4gb kingstons, so i put the same file and firmware on that card and POR is working. put the file that was just working back on the other 4gb and i'm getting the black screen after the esrb info.

i'm not at "m" for testing yet but i'll try metroid pinball tomorrow. what error am i looking for? what should i expect to see happen?

-another world

10. Mbmax

Antarctica
    You should have this error if there is a problem on your microSD :

[​IMG]

11. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    Metroid Prime Pinball (U)(Mode 7).nds [AFA3B9BC]

game loads up, plays just fine. rumble is working with the 3in1.

here is the bug report i submitted to ismartds forum:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

-Another World

12. Mbmax

Antarctica
    I'm wondering something, do you own a dstwo AW ?
    Could be interesting to test this kingston on it. [​IMG]

Thanks for your test on MPP.

13. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    The dstwo did have the same (random freezing) issue with POR a while back, but the SC team fixed it (EOS 1.04)

14. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    but what i am experiencing is not random freezing.

i do have the scds2 let me run that test as my last test for tonight (its 5am here!)

dropped the eos firmware onto the msd, put it in the scds2, por works just fine. lol.

-another world

15. Mbmax

Antarctica
    Take your time AW. Let that for later. [​IMG]
    I just finished my lunch here. lol

Edit : ok. seems that there is a kernel issue. Thanks for the heads up. George will ask for a fix. [​IMG]

16. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    i just don't see how this is happening. using a fresh copy of the ismart mm software and a fresh copy of the rom this should not happen. even if it was the kernel, i would assume it was storing data on what msd card (my volume name perhaps?) was running the file. but once the msd is formatted and a fresh copy of the software (not previously used) is put on that "database" (if it exists) would not even be there. it also makes no sense that the same msd, same rom, without a reformat, works just fine on two other flash kits. its making me think that i somehow corrupted something internal to the ismart mm.

i'll admit i don't have that much of an understanding as to what the software is doing, what it stores, etc. i haven't asked many questions about it yet.

-another world

17. Evo.lve

Australia
    I heard you tried it on the DS2 and it worked fine.
    I'm guessing a loader issue with the iSMM, or an issue with the hardware itself.

18. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    if it was the loaders it wouldn't work when i put the same rom (that is giving issues) on a different msd card with a fresh copy of the ismart mm software. then i reformat the problem msd, put on a new copy of the rom (fresh dl this time) and a new copy of the software (grabbed from ismartds.com) and it continues to black screen. unless that "update" file that runs is flashing something internally that is now corrupted. it has to be related to the ismart mm hardware itself but what explains that everything works fine on a different msd card? i'm looking at a little over 15 flash kits (and i have more) and i have never had a problem like this. it has me really confused =P

-another world

19. Evo.lve

Australia
    I'm sorry, I lost you at "confused". [​IMG]

It's probably a problem with the hardware that emulates a real game cartridge...

Oh wait, if it was, it wouldn't even boot up.

I'm confused now.

I'm guessing this will go into the review. I can picture it now:

- Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - Fail/Problems(ROM fails to work on certain microSD cards)

EDIT: Normally, I would say that it's a problem with the loaders, the hardware, the blah blah blah, but the fact that it works on another mSD card totally blows it all out of the water.

My only theory now is that your microSD card isn't reading a system file or whatever fast enough to register the game as a real cartridge (at least that's how I think it happens)... Maybe the graphic capabilities is too much for a slow SD card or whatever, have you tried GSDD or Sims 3, or other games with similar graphics?

I've also got a 4GB Kingston Class 4 Taiwan, and GSDD doesn't work on it/is too slow/unresponsive/laggy/whatever. Nor does POR for that matter.

20. Mbmax

Antarctica
    My opinion on this is it's a problem on the rom loader and the patched mode.
    Some microSD got a very bad access time to data. This game need to be properly patched or you run into trouble with those type of microSD.
    An iSMM hardware failure ? i don't think so. You should have trouble with much more games.