Is Windows 8.1 bad?

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It funny how i'm always hearing the anti win 8/8.1 people saying "it's designed for touch/mobile". Yet it's just classic windows with a full screen start menu.

But windows 10 is somehow better/not like that despite looking like a mobile app half the time with menus in menus in menus with all the slider buttons to turn things on and off.

Last edited by vpd,
Reactions: sblast3

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Meh.. most people on here in my opinion should be at a level high enough to get any of the Windows builds singing for us: I've used most over the years and got what I wanted out of them all! It's good to look back [with perhaps rose tinted glasses] in fondness of Windows XP (hell I've got fond memories of Win95 - yes I'm an old git!) but... I just don't see the point of trying to push one as better than the other... perhaps the change, or learning required, on an upgrade puts people off? (Personally I love change)
Windows 8.1 did the job for me. So does 10. End of really..

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I used Windows 8.1 with classic shell for years. And then this year I switched to Win10, but I can't remember what made me switch.
I've had a good run with Windows 8.1 to be honest. I can't remember any serious issues.

I do have one serious issue with Windows 10 now so I kind of regret windows 8.1 :P (the workarounds in the article work for me but only when plugged in, not on battery) it's probably not Windows's fault but still, it worked fine before on Win 8.1...

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Windows 8.1 with classic shell for years. And then this year I switched to Win10, but I can't remember what made me switch.
I've had a good run with Windows 8.1 to be honest. I can't remember any serious issues.

I do have one serious issue with Windows 10 now so I kind of regret windows 8.1 :P (the workarounds in the article work for me but only when plugged in, not on battery) it's probably not Windows's fault but still, it worked fine before on Win 8.1...
Would it be possible for you to go back to 8.1 or too much effort? I'm still using 8.1 with classic shell, and I still don't see any reason to downgrade to W10.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really be bothered with that, it's just not worth the effort to set up another OS.
Since the problem seems to be only with realtek devices, have you tried uninstalling the sound drivers and using the generic audio drivers? Probably not something you'd want if you use any of their features, or do audio editing, but if you just use it for video it would be worth a shot.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Since the problem seems to be only with realtek devices, have you tried uninstalling the sound drivers and using the generic audio drivers? Probably not something you'd want if you use any of their features, or do audio editing, but if you just use it for video it would be worth a shot.
I don't think there are generic drivers for that hardware... when I uninstall them, Windows re-downloads realtek drivers automatically

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there are generic drivers for that hardware... when I uninstall them, Windows re-downloads realtek drivers automatically
Damn, I forgot W10 downloads drivers automatically. Have you tried just disabling the realtek audio manager if you have it installed? In the startup programs just turn it off and see if that fixes it, if it does it means the problem is with the extra processing that the realtek program does to audio. That fixed some audio issues I had when using audacity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: admonish