Hardware Is this repairable and are there any recommended repair places?

Vellomanche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

My FPC Connector is currently not working - there are two pins are missing.
A couple of the pads have been damaged when a friend attempted to solder on a jumper cable (at the time, only 1 pin was missing).

The switch still boots and loads into ofw but the sd card slot does not work due to the FPC conenctor being broken.

Is my board still repairable and does anyone know any reputable repair shops that could repair this?
I am based in London.

If anyone knows an estimate on how much this type of repair work should cost, that would also be extremely helpful!
Thanks in advance to all replies.

Switch FPC v3.jpg

Last edited by Vellomanche,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

A couple of the pads have been damaged when a friend attempted to solder on a jumper cable (at the time, only 1 pin was missing).

Is my board still repairable and does anyone know any reputable repair shops that could repair this?
I am based in London.

View attachment 336321

Connector looks no good, as for trace on the board, you would have to check, I believe there are trace on the back of the board too for the SD connector connection.

Vellomanche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I myself would say it's badly fried :sad:

You're in the UK. I don't know that area of the world as far as electronics repair shops. Sorry
Sorry
Hi AncientBoi,

I don't think it's fried since the switch still turns on and boots to ofw. Only the SD Card is not recognised.

Connector looks no good, as for trace on the board, you would have to check, I believe there are trace on the back of the board too for the SD connector connection.

Thanks for your comment Hayato!
I'll try and look around some repair shops and show them the image and ask if they can have a look at it.
It's great to know there are traces on the board too so hopefully something can be done to salvage this.

Do you have an idea of how much this type of repair work might cost?

Last edited by Vellomanche,
Reactions: AncientBoi

johnnymnemonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That looks pretty bad, the missing pads could be a real pain in the a..
Search google for The Cod3er, he is located in the UK and you can deal with him directly.
He's a good adress to get a quote for the repair and a pro technician.

Reactions: Vellomanche

Vellomanche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That looks pretty bad, the missing pads could be a real pain in the a..
Search google for The Cod3er, he is located in the UK and you can deal with him directly.
He's a good adress to get a quote for the repair and a pro technician.
Thanks Johnny,

I'll try get in touch with him and request for a quote.

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone,

The switch still boots and loads into ofw but the sd card slot does not work due to the FPC conenctor being broken.

I am based in London.

If anyone knows an estimate on how much this type of repair work should cost, that would also be extremely helpful!
Thanks in advance to all replies.

View attachment 336321
You can ask subzero in modsvilles discord he is from UK.

https://discord.gg/mQbm4XwV

Damply

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's honestly a very easy soldering job, you can always ask local repair shops if they do microsoldering. I do board repair on switches all the time at my shop.

Gritherdude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi AncientBoi,

I don't think it's fried since the switch still turns on and boots to ofw. Only the SD Card is not recognised.

Thanks for your comment Hayato!
I'll try and look around some repair shops and show them the image and ask if they can have a look at it.
It's great to know there are traces on the board too so hopefully something can be done to salvage this.

Do you have an idea of how much this type of repair work might cost?
The repair is about 70$ US, I have the same problem. My switch kept crashing, popped it open found out the sd card isn't being read. I looked at the connector and yeah I was missing 1 damn gold tooth connector. Im currently waiting on this radio shack repair place to call me back, its been a week since they I gave it to them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-