Gaming Is this possible?

Hatashi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a wired connection, and my notebook is connected to it.
My notebook however does have a wireless card, and it works.

I know I can make an Ad-Hoc connection, and let my phone connect to it, and use it as internet on my phone.
But how do I go about on doing this on the DSi?
Like, I wan't to use Wifi to play online on Mario Kart and such.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The fuck... I'm confused.

You said you're laptop has a wireless card, and you can go on your connection with your laptop without wire?

Ok...try a WiFi dongle.

Price Angels sells them for cheap, and can connect to pretty much every game console. Don't get the Nintendo Wifi adapter because that thing totally blows and does not work.

Hatashi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No.. ehm...

Let me explain.
I have a modem, which is connected with a wire to my notebook, which gives me Internet.
I don't have a wireless router.

Now in Windows 7, there is this option, to turn your wired connection, into an Ad-Hoc network, so other PC's/Mobiles/Game consoles can connect to it, and use the Internet connection.

I tried this with the DSi, but my DSi just won't find the network, maybe I'm doing something wrong?
What encryptions do games like Mario Kart use?
WEP/WPA2?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uh.. none?

If you have a DSi, you have to enable wireless mode.

System Settings >> Wireless Communications >> On

Then you want to go to:

System Settings >> Internet >> Connection Settings >> Connection 1 (Click None) >> Search for an Access Point.

If that doesn't work, then you need a wifi dongle, and like I said, Price Angels sells them cheap. You could also browse around and find cheaper ones too.

LastMartini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basicly he wants to use his laptop as a wireless router.

Yes it is possible, but most people do it the other way around.

The DS/DSi wireless feature is based off of technology back in 2004.
Back then WEP encryption was the norm.

So you have to use WEP encryption on your network, if you are going to use encryption at all.

Also are you turning the wired connection into an Ad-Hoc, or the wireless connection?

lemon[fruit]

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey Hatashi, I tried to play some good old Advance Wars the other day just to find out that the DS does not support WPA/WPA2, the DSI on the other hand does, but only with new games. So if you want to play Mario Kart DS you probably need a WEP encryption.
Hope I could help you with this and I'd be more than happy if you could tell us whether you were able to get your DSI connecting to your laptop because I also don't have WLAN at my mum's, so I've sometimes got kinda the same problem
wink.gif

Hatashi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your help a lot!

When I use Connectify, which is a program to turns your Windows 7 Notebook into a Router I can successfully find and connect to hotspots that I make, though, only when on the DSi Menu, and I can only browse with it!

Mario Kart won't accept Connectify no matter what encryption I use.

When I make a hotspot using the build in Ad-HOC feature of Windows 7, my DSi doesn't find the hotspot at all
frown.gif

Hatashi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, I used WPA on Connectify.
And WEP on the Windows 7 AD-Hoc setup.

The AdHoc thingie didn't work.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WPA will only work in DSi mode, in DS mode (i.e. in virtually all existing DS games), WEP is the only encryption supported. So WPA will work in System Menu, DSi Shop etc., but not in most games.

lemon[fruit]

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The ad-hoc settings probably didn't work because the DS and DSI need a stable infrastructur with an Access Point and all these things. They just can't handle loose infrastructure like an ad-hoc network.

Keram

Newcomer
Trophies
In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DS cannot connect to ad hoc networks, the wireless network has to run in infrastructure mode.
And not all wireless cards and build in wlans have the possibility to run in infrastructure mode.

I'm not familiar with connectify but if It gives you the option to filter MAC adresses, try to run it without any encryption like WEP etc. (WPA won't run with normal ds games anyway) and put the mac adress of your DS in your filter. On that way no one else will be able to use your wireless network as long as the device that wants to connect is listed in that filter.
See it as minimum protection for your wlan for not using an encryption but it is definitely not 100% secure so better run your wlan for your DS only if you really need it.

Other than that, you will have to check if your wireless module is able to run in infrastructure mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL