is this possible to work

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by gameguy95, Aug 31, 2009.

Aug 31, 2009

is this possible to work by gameguy95 at 11:13 PM (1,685 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. gameguy95
    OP

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    apparently next year they are going to release sdxc cards from 64gb to 2tb!!! i know our m3i zeros can't handle that but i was thinking, if we opened up the m3i and opened up a microsdxc reader, maybe if we took the slot where the microsd goes in out of the sdxc card reader and solder it into the m3i0, would sdxc cards maybe work? i just don't want to wait 2 years for a new m3i0 to come out that works with them and pay 40-50 dollars for it so i present this idea and ask you to help me answer it.

no flaming please

thanks for your help

2. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    64 gb of DS games, homebrew, images and videos.... sounds kinda creppy. I don't think that could be the only thing needed. Maybe update firmwares (hardware) and formats are different.

3. gameguy95
    OP

United States
    you mean like hack an internal dump of the m3i0?

4. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I think 16gb is more than enough for a DS flashcart.

5. gameguy95
    OP

United States
    ^ why is everyone like this? want a "yes this will work" "no this won't work" or "might work let's try it out"

6. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    You'd have to rebuild the firmware to utilize the new SDXC reader. And as Jakob95 said: 16GB is enough. You could fit an OS and a few full blown games on that if you tried.

7. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    It might take even more than just software the SDXC cards may require new hardware completely and repositioning of things.

Anyways sdxc cards are kind of a rip off because micro sdhc cards can hold up to 2 tb right now they just don't manufacture ones that can do that and they of course need to make a new brand that'll cost 40 bucks more than if they just made sdhc ones that had that much.

8. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    SDXC is still a ways off from being useful, first they should make 16 & 32GB SDHC cards available in sufficient numbers and at acceptable price. Then there is also a question of reliability, because 64GB is an awful lot of data to entrust to a small piece of plastic.

9. Zantom07

Newcomer Zantom07 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Actually, sdhc cards can't hold 2tb. They can hold up to and including 32gb. The reason they make a brand is because there is different technology in the SDXC which can confuse people. E.g. At the moment they say it can hold up to 32gb. Next year they say it can hold up to 2tb. Clever.

Back on topic, the M3 will need at least a firmware recode to use the SDXC, but most likely we will all need a new M3 to use our spanking new SDXCs. But wouldn't we all love 2tb of games [​IMG]

10. StuKeeler

Newcomer StuKeeler Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    ..and the 2 hours or so waiting for disk check to scan the card! [​IMG]

Seriously though, that would be insane.... you'd be able to have EVERY rom ever released stored on the one card with lots of space to spare! [​IMG]

However as mentioned before it's very frightening prospect of 2TB on a tiny fragile bit of plastic!
    Plus, I would hope transfer rates improve by that time as 2TB at approx 22MB/sec would take 25 hours just to read the data (slower for writing)!! (the USB 3.0 standard is imminent though).

11. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    That means one card to rule them all???

12. imqchummy

Newcomer imqchummy Member

Canada
    Oh god
    I have an 8 gig micro sd and it's more than enough.
    How many games you actually need on your flashcard?

13. gameguy95
    OP

United States
    yes apparently it will supposedly have "300 mbps read write speeds" it will be faster just i am not sure it will be as fast as they say

14. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    SDXC WILL require a new controller chip in flashcarts to support SDXC. Most of your understanding of SDXC here that said you can rebuild it through firmware is poor understanding of how hardware works. Your trying to say it is like you can play blu ray discs in a DVD drive if you flash the firmware of the DVD drive.

The point is YOU WILL HAVE TO GET A NEW FLASH CART and only if it says SDXC compatible. On top of all of this it will most likely have to be microSDXC chips that you will have to wait for.

300 mb/s is the upper limit. It will not even start there.

15. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    You all need to remember that these cards will be extremely expensive when they come out, and probably only be Sd cards, not micro. It will be a few more years until they are cheap enough for normal use.

16. gameguy95
    OP

United States
    no they will be micro: http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc

17. Zantom07

Newcomer Zantom07 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Haha, 32gb at the moment is cheapest at £90. According to that price, 2tb will be £5,625 xD