is this possible to fix?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Dr.Killa, Apr 9, 2010.

Apr 9, 2010

is this possible to fix? by Dr.Killa at 4:32 AM (942 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Dr.Killa
    OP

Banned Dr.Killa Banned

United States
    i snapped the top screen off. there is some tape-like thing that connects he top screen to bottom. when i turn the power on (the bottom screen duh), the light turns off, but back off . is it possible to fix? its a DSPhat

2. drag0nzord

Newcomer drag0nzord Advanced Member

United States
    anything is possible to fix.

its not gona be as cheap or easy as you are thinking but its deff fixable.

so is it totally broken off or is it hanging by some wires?

3. onthecamelsback

Newcomer onthecamelsback Newbie

United States
    as long as the cables and screens are intact , all it needs is a new shell.

4. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    I'm looking into a new shell and possibly a new screen

5. Klightx15

Member Klightx15 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if its a NDS phat just get a DSLite, its not worth going through the trouble of replacing a DS Phat shell and screen, u could probably find a cheap DSLite on ebay or something or another site or store. or you could get one from a friend who doesnt play anymore.

6. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    the DS wont turn on without the top screen connected so the ribbon cable must have just came out, it could also be broken but yyou wont know till you open it up and check

7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Yeah you may have severed the top screens ribbon cable. I did while i was doing a case replacement, so now i have to purchase a replacement screen.

8. Atashi

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    If it's a DSL then worst-case scenario you need to buy a replacement shell, replacement top screen, and replacement hinge parts. You won't know for sure till you open it up for a post-mortem. The ribbon cable from the top screen is integral to the top screen itself so (as far as I know) you can't just replace the cable. Total cost for all three parts could be approx. $40 to $50 depending where you shop.

Look at the disassembly guide for all the instructions on the procedure. It shouldn't take any longer than just doing a shell replacement, once you have the required parts.

-Atashi

9. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    But yeah, may as well just get a DSL - unless you play a lot of GB/GBC games. Although Lameboy is very nice.

10. Dr.Killa
    OP

Banned Dr.Killa Banned

United States
    the whole top broke off. like i can throw the top screen like a football. and i think the connector *tape* also snapped. do i just buy a new top screen?

as long as it's cheaper than a whole new DSphat ill buy it.

11. Blastoise

Member Blastoise GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Dude... that's fucked if its totally separated and your gonna needs some real technical skills to fix it.... Plus to buy a new top you'd need a new case, new screen etc etc. Your better off getting a lite or DSi

12. gary2010

Member gary2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you will need the wirless antena, the mic if the ds fat has one, a new case and the new top screen. then you need to solder ur speakers on the ribbon coming from the screen if its like a ds lite. i would buy a used ds lite if you cant solder or havent tried taking a ds to pieces, they are easy to break and then it will cost more for parts. i broke my ds lite last week when i took it a part but now its fixed again [​IMG] good luck

13. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    There is only one way to fix this. [​IMG] First, you go into Gamestop. Then you buy a DS lite. [​IMG]

btw, the right (smaller) hinge on my old ds phat broke, and it bugged me so much i just used the solution above