Is this for real? (PS3 hacking question).

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Bryon15, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    <snip>

It says that it's now possible to downgrade to 3.55 firmware from any higher firmware on all PS3 models. Even ones that didn't originally come with 3.55! And without an E3 flasher. I don't believe it. Seems too good to be true. What do you guys make of this?

2. cobleman

cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2009
    Australia
    Wow and the mediafire link is bust already leaving only survey links hmmmmm

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    People need to stop posting these crap materials all over the net. :angry:

NO. It is NOT possible to downgrade if PS3 didn't originally come with 3.55 OFW or lower. It has been this way for a long time.

If PS3 hacking scene managed to find a way to downgrade system that came with 3.56+ OFW or newer and/or without flasher, it will be and only be posted on reputable website such as PS3 Hax. It will NOT be posted on YouTube, Facebook, or a website nobody ever heard of.

End of story.

4. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    I was able to download the team9 exe downgrader file to my computer. I re-uploaded it to mediafire. Here it is.

<snip>

I would try it, but I don't have a working usb stick.

5. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    The only thing that would come of this is that your PC ends up being used to mine bitcoins and or you start getting massive amounts of pop up ads constantly.

Both things are great for the company doing this...

6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Its prob a virus.

7. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    according to VirusTotal, its clean, and that norton lists it as a possible heuristic virus threat
    VirusTotal Scan
    this downgrader is obviously fake but I wonder what it does if its not ridden in detectable viruses like other fake exe's are.
    i expected the scan to be something like 28/47, not 0/47.

8. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I still think its prob a virus, if you run it do a virus scan. There is also a good chance that it does nothing at all.

9. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    It sure is tempting though isn't it? If this is real, it'd make hacking the PS3 as easy as hacking the Wii. Nothing needed but a memory card and external hard drive. Instead of buying a $90 3k3y and solder it onto your system.

10. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    So has anyone tried this? I was able to download the official 3.55 firmware using the exe application. Plus it has step by step instructions. It seems odd that someone would go to all this trouble if it was fake. What would be the point?

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Here's an idea - run it in an isolated environment, like a Vrtual Machine and check.:P Word of caution though, I sicerely doubt (meaning don't believe at all) that it works, otherwise more reputable sources would report about such a breakthrough.

12. weiff

weiff GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2006
    Seriously? The more legit a fake looks the harder it is to believe it is fake... Not trying to sound harsh if I do, but yeah. A bunch of instruction text files and small KB "files" make things look really convincing.

13. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Remember: if this was real, it'd be all over internet.

Also, real hackers DON'T USE YOUTUBE TO RELEASE STUFF.

And don't need you to fill craploads of surveys.

Do the math. This is fake.

14. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Getting thousands of n00bs to view their video and fill out surveys so they can accumulate adsense revenue.

15. Lord Coolman

Lord Coolman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2012
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires.
    Well... 155 likes against 1 dislike. And someone reported it to work. I'm not %100 sure about it being totally fake.

16. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    But I was able to download the exe tool (as well as using the tool to download 3.55 official firmware) without doing any surveys.
    This is what I was thinking. About 4 people in the comments said it worked for them. Why would they all lie? This is very puzzling.

17. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Because they're idiots, that's why.

Or the people who made the viruses just made fake accounts to post those comments. Likely both :P

18. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Because this is like ebay fake reviews. If a scammer wants to scam on ebay he/she will gather a lot of people (or create fake accounts all by themselves) to give large amount of positive review on scammer account. That way it creates a false sense of reputable seller to ignorant buyers.

In the case of this PS3 nonsense, scammer do it for number of reason,
    * Downloaded application contains malicious software: ad-ware, nagware, worm, Trojan, key loggers, etc.
    * Download link forward to survey website. By completing each survey scammer earns a bit of money.
    * Downloaded software is actually a bitcoin miner, except it is scammer who earns bitcoin from your PC.

The YouTube name should be a dead give away in this case. Geo Hotz settled a lawsuit with Sony back then, agreed to never hack PS3 or any other Sony products ever again. Whoever that YouTuber is it is sure not the real person himself.

Any legitimate PS3 breakthrough will be posted on these two website first: http://www.ps3hax.net/, and http://psx-scene.com/

raulpica likes this.
  19. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    No, it's not for real.

/thread

20. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    I just noticed that the TEAM9 3.55 Custom Firmware link in the exe tool doesn't work. The link for mediafire is broken and the other two lead to surveys. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.