Hardware Is this a good PC?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So my friend's about to buy a new PC that he will mainly use for gaming. Nothing massive, just CoD 4, TF2, Minecraft (which is badly coded and hard to run anyway), Magicka, Portal 2. (Probably more but that's what he's said so far). Now I've not looked at buying PCs for a while now and i'm wondering whether this PC is any good.

I know most of it's alright but what i'm not sure on is the processor and graphics card, especially AMD (I've got Intel + Nvidia). I've read a few reviews on the 5450 and apparently it's not too good for games... is this true? And about the processor, that should be alright shouldn't it? By looking at the specs it seems OK for games, but is it too outdated? He's looking at a budget of about no more than £270 (absolute max) so not much room to upgrade.

I personally have a Dell XPS 720 and it's great for games so I think he's looking for a similar sort of PC as mine (though he's never seen it, I'm just guessing).

Thanks,
Wizerzak.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that thing is more than just a little outdated, i wish i could help more but i have no idea where to buy computer junk in europe or how to work british money.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Agreed. Every part is low-end budget range (ignore their claim "high performance motherboard"). However the budget does not allow for any better parts.

That said, I think I could build an equivolent computer for slightly less (using contacts in the central London computer fair). EDIT: Rereading the ebay listing, it makes sense. I think they added around £40 (maybe more, depending on contacts) to the total cost of the parts.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
MadClaw said:
On top of the crappy hardware and low price, theres no operating system lol

he said he's already got that. but surely it will be good enough to run TF2 and other older games on max-mid settings and cope with newer games (playable, no freezing, lag etc.)

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, it's not that bad, just the PSU is 450w so i doubt it supports PCI-E power connectors, therefore upgrading to a better gpu, also means a new PSU.

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a worse PC and I can run all of the games you mentioned at decent settings. He should be just fine, but upgrading it could be sketchy.

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My recent build:
Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-M
Onboard GPU: Raedon HD 4250
CPU: AMD 1090T Hex Core at 3.2ghz
RAM: 4gb DDR3 1333 Mushkin Silverlines
PSU 730w Raidmax RX-730SS
HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Blue
CASE: Raidmax Tornado, replaced fans with two 120mm XIGMATEK and one blue LED 80mm fan on the side

Bought all it on newegg, i paid about $540, runs even Portal 2 very nicely at 1680x1050...just low detail, still looks better than PS3 or 360. I'm still going to get a gpu when i have the money, but for now its alright if you dont mind gaming at low details, it doesnt lag.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY