Hacking Is there ANY way at all..

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Up here in the North, I don't think that downloading ROMs is illegal. However, I think that it's illegal to SELL them. Cuz that's like burning a movie and then selling copies. That's wrong.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is illegal to have backups of game cartridges in the US, regardless of whether or not you own the game.

That sir, is a fact.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
It has happened, when people with flashme tried to update their system with Mario Kart - the first wifi game. It attempted to write the firmware, which was modded, bricking the system.
Wasn't that just because they [Flashme guys] didn't know that the portion that could be written to by software alone would ever be used?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has happened, when people with flashme tried to update their system with Mario Kart - the first wifi game. It attempted to write the firmware, which was modded, bricking the system.

Wasn't that just because they [Flashme guys] didn't know that the portion that could be written to by software alone would ever be used?
That is correct. When Mario Kart attempted to write the wifi data, there wasn't enough space left, which resulted in the DS being 'bricked'.

The newest version has no problem with this.

bfoos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That is not true. It is legal to download a ROM if you own the actual cartridge (in the USA).

EDIT: responding to mr. nero btw.

No sir, that is false.

QUOTE(ninty's legal department)Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Your ROM sites are spreading misinformation. The only way to legally use a ROM in the US is if you dump your own. Downloading is illegal.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
It is only legal to have a backup of a game if you made it yourself.

So, I
if I wanted to play a backup of mariokart, I would first buy mariokart, back it up using whatever means I have, and if I ever sell/lose the original cart, then that backup becomes completely illegal for me to have. In almost all countries it is illegal for you to have a backup that someone else made or make a backup for someone else.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Responding to the two people above flai, it is not legal to make backups of games, regardless of whether or not you purchased it yourself.

The only way that backing up games can be legal, is if you own the copyright to the game you're backing up.

zeppo

change my avatar!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
okay. I was just saying that I always THOUGHT (notice the past tense) that it was legal in the US. I see now that I was wrong.

bfoos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Responding to the two people above flai, it is not legal to make backups of games, regardless of whether or not you purchased it yourself.

The only way that backing up games can be legal, is if you own the copyright to the game you're backing up.
I'm unaware of any law in the US that explicitly states you cannot backup software for your own personal use. The DMCA states that circumventing copy protections to achieve a personal backup is illegal. Do DS carts employ any kind of protection, other than their proprietary form factor? Seems to be a grey area. Why is fair use so damn confusing?

bfoos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do DS carts employ any kind of protection, other than their proprietary form factor?

Yes. The DS cards are encrypted. Bypassing that encryption is required for dumping, putting it right under 1201a and making it illegal.

I'm not fully up to speed on the DMCA, but is it still illegal if the device has been manufactured by the manufacturer of the encrypted product? That is, why does the DMCA make it illegal for me to dump a cart using the DS, yet not make it illegal for the exact same hardware to play the game?

I am positive that if I make an analog recording of a DVD from a dvd player, while I may still be violating copyright, I have not infringed on the DMCA.

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to pretent I didn't read this topic so I can preserve my position of plausible deniability...
rolleyes.gif

Uh, Mr. Moderator sir? Would you please erase all record of my presence here?
ph34r.gif

striderx

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not fully up to speed on the DMCA, but is it still illegal if the device has been manufactured by the manufacturer of the encrypted product? That is, why does the DMCA make it illegal for me to dump a cart using the DS, yet not make it illegal for the exact same hardware to play the game?
You can't dump a cart with just the DS. It requires the use of additional software which exploits the DS' decryption process to bypass the protection.

That aside, even if you could do it without the help of addition software/hardware, it would still fall under 1201a and thus be illegal.

QUOTE said:
I am positive that if I make an analog recording of a DVD from a dvd player, while I may still be violating copyright, I have not infringed on the DMCA.
I'm not sure if thats true, but I do know that all VCRs made after 2000 are required to have AGC, which prevents that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night