Hacking is there a reliable hack to play 3DS ROMS?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ice97
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 20,567
  • Replies Replies 37
Yes because CIAs (the format that games should have when using Plailect's guide) have private headers built in so there's no issue in playing online.

I see, I might go ahead with the pilatec hack.

Stephano told me in here to stop at step 3 if im not picky
If you are not picky about the type of hack you get, you can stop at step 3 of the guide and play roms from there. Good Luck.

which step is that exactly? im at the page and i see "Part 3- REDNAND" is that it? because every page has numerous (confusing) steps.
 
I see, I might go ahead with the pilatec hack.

Stephano told me in here to stop at step 3 if im not picky


which step is that exactly? im at the page and i see "Part 3- REDNAND" is that it? because every page has numerous (confusing) steps.
Yes, stop at step 3 which is the RedNand part. You also want to do Section II - Injecting FBI that's in Part 4, so that you can actually install CIAs.
 
Last edited by KunoichiZ,
Well, really, you should do the whole guide. Once complete, you'll have a9lh: the ultimate 3ds hack that takes over the console almost instantly. If you'd like to know more about the more technical workings of a9lh, check my thread here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/why-cant-i-dump-my-otp-from-emunand-and-other-good-a9lh-questions.422212/
Also, if you read the stickies, you should know there is a "noob paradise" thread. Please ask questions there. Currently GBATemp is swamped with threads like yours, asking the same questions over and over and over again. Making threads like these is actually in violation of the forum rules: duplicate topics aren't allowed.
Anyway, welcome to GBATemp! Don't forget to write an introduction ;)
 
Why hasn't anyone given this new guy a full explanation yet?

Basically you have 2 options:
1) Pay £60-70 for a Sky3ds flashcart which you can put games on and then insert into the 3ds as if it were an original cartridge. It is constantly updated to work on the latest firmwares though it probably won't work in the small window between a new update from Nintendo and an update from the Sky3ds people. Also, playing online requires you to have private headers. I have no idea what those are and someone else here can explain it to you better. But I think it costs money.

2) You can hack your 3ds to run a CFW. The favourite hack at the moment is A9LH and the best guide is Plailect's guide. The process takes about 3 hours and can only be done if your 3ds is below version 11.0.0-33. Version 11 requires a hard mod, which is a while different story. Right now most 3ds units ship below that version but recently some people have reported getting new devices with v11. Buying online or from non-gaming stores eg Argos, Walmart, etc. will most likely give you an older firmware. Currently, the web browser of the 3ds is used as an entry point for the hack, so you won't need games like Freaky Forms, Ocarina of Time, etc. to perform the hack. This will probably change within a few weeks when Nintendo patches it. Another thing about the CFW method is that you'll have to install the games before you can play them. A 1gb game takes about 20 minutes to install. (on the flashcart, you just drag and drop with your PC)

So basically, go for the flashcart if you want an easy solution without having to do too much. It also has a lower risk; while hacking and installing a CFW is very safe, there is nonetheless a chance to brick, though it is almost always due to user error. On the other hand, go for the CFW if you are willing to spend a few hours installing it, want hassle free online play, and want to save some money.
 
Yes, stop at step 3 which is the RedNand part. You also want to do Section II - Injecting FBI that's in Part 4, so that you can actually install CIAs.

Ignoring section I in part 4 that is "prep work"? and do you know a good youtube video alternative to this guide? they're way easier to follow for a noob like me
 
Ignoring section I in part 4 that is "prep work"? and do you know a good youtube video alternative to this guide? they're way easier to follow for a noob like me
Ignore prep work. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A VIDEO GUIDE. They get outdated very quickly because of the new info that emerges. Just stick to the written guide and follow it to the LETTER and you'll be fine.
 
Ignore prep work. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A VIDEO GUIDE. They get outdated very quickly because of the new info that emerges. Just stick to the written guide and follow it to the LETTER and you'll be fine.

Ok, I've decided to go through with the pilatec hack.
I'm good with computers and surely 3DS hacking can't be that hard to grasp :), maybe its confusing because im a complete noob (any FAQ or guide on 3DS basics for complete noobs?)

Last questions (hopefully):
1) Do I need to buy certain/older 3DS models? a store here is having special offers on New 3DS XL.
2) What hack am I getting exactly? Luma or a9lh? and does it disable region locking?
3) Do I need exploit games?
 
Ok, I've decided to go through with the pilatec hack.
I'm good with computers and surely 3DS hacking can't be that hard to grasp :), maybe its confusing because im a complete noob (any FAQ or guide on 3DS basics for complete noobs?)

Last questions (hopefully):
1) Do I need to buy certain/older 3DS models? a store here is having special offers on New 3DS XL.
2) What hack am I getting exactly? Luma or a9lh? and does it disable region locking? Yes, it disables region locking.
3) Do I need exploit games?
1) You a system with firmware version 10.7 or lower. Ask for the serial number on the box and use Google to find out what firmware version it comes with.
2) You are getting Luma3DS if you stop at Part 3 and you did Section II of Part 4.
3) No, because you can use Browserhax. Follow Plailect's guide from Part 1 to set that up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ice97
If you do part 1-3 only you will have Luma which means you will have to get into your homebrew channel every time you start your 3ds and launch luma which takes you back to a emulated home emu that can run your pirated games. However if you do the entire guide you will make it where every time you turn on your 3ds it will launch directly to Luma on your home menu which is the custom firmware so you can just turn on your 3ds and play your pirated games, and there's other benefits as well. So 1-5 is recommended for permanent cfw.


You'll need an sd card to put the games on and to do the hack (seems obvious, but I don't see it mentioned)
 
Last edited by ,
  • Like
Reactions: Ice97
There are 2 kinds of games for 3ds- 3ds that come in carts and cia that comes from eshop. One can convert 3ds->cia pretty easily and if u install a9lh(google for pleilect guide) thn u can play any cia. Mosta games come in cia format and the ones that dont- convert them then install...
 
2) What hack am I getting exactly? Luma or a9lh? and does it disable region locking?

To expand on this a little bit more. Luma3DS is a custom firmware which the hack, Arm9Loaderhax, uses. You need both of them to work. There exists another type of hack, menuhax, which also uses a custom firmware, Luma3DS. In the end, its all about comparing menuhax to arm9loaderhax. Both offer similar features and have different accessibility. Arm9loaderhax is milestones better than menuhax but requires a bit of extra time an patience to install. When i said you could stop on step three of Plailect'g guide, you would be left with menuhax and an "EmuNAND." Continueing with the guide will leave you with Arm9loaderhax and a "Protected sysNAND."
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ice97
Well, really, you should do the whole guide. Once complete, you'll have a9lh: the ultimate 3ds hack that takes over the console almost instantly. If you'd like to know more about the more technical workings of a9lh, check my thread here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/why-cant-i-dump-my-otp-from-emunand-and-other-good-a9lh-questions.422212/
Also, if you read the stickies, you should know there is a "noob paradise" thread. Please ask questions there. Currently GBATemp is swamped with threads like yours, asking the same questions over and over and over again. Making threads like these is actually in violation of the forum rules: duplicate topics aren't allowed.
Anyway, welcome to GBATemp! Don't forget to write an introduction ;)
Looks like my post got buried.
 
Here use this to try and trace down what firmware your 3ds is going to be when you buy it,
https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/

The serial number is the key! and it works! i used this and found someone had a 3ds with QW4467 on fw9.9, the one i had ordered was QW4466 and it was actually on fw9.9 when it came. See, try and go for a 3ds on 10.5 or below, or else you need to buy a game like zelda:ocarina of time to downgrade. That shit works till 10.7, anything after that you're fucked and need to hardmod or need to do a super complex method with some game and another 3ds with hacks running already.

If your going ahead with the plailect guide, then just ready every single line and don't skip jackshit....and everything will go just fine. You'll be playing roms and be online and pretty much do whatever the hell you want.
 
Last edited by perspex,
  • Like
Reactions: Ice97
You should still buy the games regardless of you being able to pirate them or not.
 
1) You a system with firmware version 10.7 or lower. Ask for the serial number on the box and use Google to find out what firmware version it comes with.
2) You are getting Luma3DS if you stop at Part 3 and you did Section II of Part 4.
3) No, because you can use Browserhax. Follow Plailect's guide from Part 1 to set that up.

If you do part 1-3 only you will have Luma which means you will have to get into your homebrew channel every time you start your 3ds and launch luma which takes you back to a emulated home emu that can run your pirated games. However if you do the entire guide you will make it where every time you turn on your 3ds it will launch directly to Luma on your home menu which is the custom firmware so you can just turn on your 3ds and play your pirated games, and there's other benefits as well. So 1-5 is recommended for permanent cfw.


You'll need an sd card to put the games on and to do the hack (seems obvious, but I don't see it mentioned)

I see, going through with the whole guide if that's the case.

Thanks guys.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Looks like my post got buried.

Lol thanks for your contribution it's appreciated, I'm sure your thread is helpful ive bookmarked it, but I might need other guids before reading it (I have no idea what OTP is for example :D)
 
The OTP is a pain in the but, that's what it is. Basically its a file unique to your 3ds that contains very specific keys that arm9loaderhax uses to get access to the kernel of your system. it was locked away after version 2.1. This is why we have to go down so low to get it.
 
I see, going through with the whole guide if that's the case.

Thanks guys.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------



Lol thanks for your contribution it's appreciated, I'm sure your thread is helpful ive bookmarked it, but I might need other guids before reading it (I have no idea what OTP is for example :D)
Actually, I intend to write something I'd like to call "How A9LH works For Dummies". I'll let you know when I post it, expect it Soon(TM*)
*Soon is licensed under fair use from the Gateway team.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ice97 and Stephano

Site & Scene News