Hardware Is there a permanent fix besides blowing L/R button?

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recently tried to use my 3DS and noticed the R button would not work, I read only blowing really hard into it fixes it, which it does but only temporarily, if I put the 3ds in a pocket or something for a few minutes, it will again not work, which is very frustrating as I mostly play on the subway and I look insane blowing into a video game like crazy constantly lol

Is there a way to fix this problem permanently? If the problem is allegedly due to dust... how come it stops working again so fast?

I dont mind open my console if I have to.. but would this do anything? Is it neccesary?

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tried canned o compressed air to blow out the dust? If you manage to clean the dust out of the shoulder buttons, not carry your 3ds in the pockets anymore.

Like I said... I used so far a really hard blow from my lips, if it was just "dust" how is it possible it stops working again after a few minutes/hours of it being in my backpack/pocket? Surely not enough dust could build up in that amount of time to make it unresponsive again...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said... I used so far a really hard blow from my lips, if it was just "dust" how is it possible it stops working again after a few minutes/hours of it being in my backpack/pocket? Surely not enough dust could build up in that amount of time to make it unresponsive again...

Your mouth and lips will never match the air pressure force of a canned dust sprayer concentrated to a 2 mm diameter straw. Dust contamination can grime up between a button's contact patches and stop signalling your presses. At best, your non-responsive button issue can be fixed with canned air. At worst, you killed your shoulder buttons by shorting them.

You start with the most simplistic repair diagnostics. If canned air can't fix the problem, you go with the next best repair solution through disassembly. And lastly, if that still doesn't work, you learned the important and expensive lesson that lint is an electronic killer. Thanks for sharing this so that others can avoid making the same mistake in mishandling their 3DS.

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your mouth and lips will never match the air pressure force of a canned dust sprayer concentrated to a 2 mm diameter straw. Dust contamination can grime up between a button's contact patches and stop signalling your presses. At best, your non-responsive button issue can be fixed with canned air. At worst, you killed your shoulder buttons by shorting them.

You start with the most simplistic repair diagnostics. If canned air can't fix the problem, you go with the next best repair solution through disassembly. And lastly, if that still doesn't work, you learned the important and expensive lesson that lint is an electronic killer. Thanks for sharing this so that others can avoid making the same mistake in mishandling their 3DS.

Okay I will try to buy some air can tomorrow, hopefully it will fix it ^_^

EDIT: Any chance you know about electric blowers? I am thinking on investing in something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/ECOLA-Keyboar...38&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=compressed+air&psc=1

Last edited by GM Otomon,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I will try to buy some air can tomorrow, hopefully it will fix it ^_^

EDIT: Any chance you know about electric blowers? I am thinking on investing in something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/ECOLA-Keyboar...38&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=compressed+air&psc=1

The one you linked isn't reputable. Nice electronic blowers will cost US$50 and up.

I doubt you'll need this outside of fixing the 3DS for one time use. Canned air makes more sense.

In case you later pick up electronic repairs as your line of work or become a heavy keyboardist, go for this one if it outweighs the financial and logistics of continual usage of canned air.
https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/

In case you get one anyway for let's say LCD screen repair, be aware that blowers do not work for dust-free installation. People wrongly mistaken that you can blow dust out of the exterior glass cover and LCD panel. Blowing introduces more dust between the spaces. What you need instead is a miniature vacuum to suck dust and lint out.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one you linked isn't reputable. Nice electronic blowers will cost US$50 and up.

I doubt you'll need this outside of fixing the 3DS for one time use. Canned air makes more sense.

In case you later pick up electronic repairs as your line of work or become a heavy keyboardist, go for this one if it outweighs the financial and logistics of continual usage of canned air.
https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/

In case you get one anyway for let's say LCD screen repair, be aware that blowers do not work for dust-free installation. People wrongly mistaken that you can blow dust out of the exterior glass cover and LCD panel. Blowing introduces more dust between the spaces. What you need instead is a miniature vacuum to suck dust and lint out.
the back is very easy to open up and get to the r button. I suggest opening up the 3ds and dismantling the r button and cleaning it out from there. You don't need to mess with any ribbon cables to do this.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the back is very easy to open up and get to the r button. I suggest opening up the 3ds and dismantling the r button and cleaning it out from there. You don't need to mess with any ribbon cables to do this.
What is considered easy to one person will not be same for another. You got to account for the fact that anytime you open up the 3DS or any electronic, you expose delicate components to very real and possible risk of damage. Even by the least haphazard slim chance, accidents happen. Why go for more complex repairs if he hasn't exhausted his safer option?

If OP can get away with canned air, that would be great in avoiding all that baloney doing the electronic equivalent of open heart surgery to a nontechnically inclined.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is considered easy to one person will not be same for another. You got to account for the fact that anytime you open up the 3DS or any electronic, you expose delicate components to very real and possible risk of damage. Even by the least haphazard slim chance, accidents happen. Why go for more complex repairs if he hasn't exhausted his safer option?

If OP can get away with canned air, that would be great in avoiding all that baloney doing the electronic equivalent of open heart surgery to a nontechnically inclined.
I can agree that it can be hard to do stuff the first time - but I have opened up a lot of 3DSs and I can tell you removing that back panel is very easy. Now if he had to mess with flex cables I would not advise it, but he doesn't.

My advice would be to watch a shoulder button repair video and see if it looks doable.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is an electronic cleaner spray , with a straw ...

Adding to one more safety precaution tip, @GM Otomon. Be advised not to spray this can at an angle that is not upright. Remove the battery and let the 3DS discharge before dusting. The canned air comes in liquidized form, so it's possible to wet the electronics inside the 3DS in case you shoot bits of liduid. If this happens, let the 3DS dry off. The removed battery is to prevent shorting the entire motherboard.

Use the straw (they should come with straw). Spray air at short bursts. If the can gets too cold due to temperature drop as pressure drop (your ideal gas law at work PV=nRT), let the can warm up. In fact, if you're making it get that cold that icicles form on the can itself, you're spraying too much too fast. Although rare, there's a possibility of getting frost bite if you go crazy using these so... blow moderately.

815sxXDXQYL._SX522_.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can agree that it can be hard to do stuff the first time - but I have opened up a lot of 3DSs and I can tell you removing that back panel is very easy. Now if he had to mess with flex cables I would not advise it, but he doesn't.

My advice would be to watch a shoulder button repair video and see if it looks doable.

I've learned one thing about people when it comes to repairing stuff over the years (computers, cars, and household appliances). Never first assume or trust your customer knows how to use a screwdriver or a wrench unless proven otherwise.

Another advice to share, never trust a car mechanic who will not explain what he or she is doing to your car in a level of language you can understand.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Itzumi and x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==