Homebrew Is there a NDS Homebrew Development Kit?

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I mean, is there a sort of base system that homebrew programmers use to create homebrew for the NDS? Sorry if it sounds n00by and pathetic lol.

efaj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ssbclash.co.cc
XP
Country
There is DevkitPro (the arm section, however it includes for homebrew on Gamecube/Wii and PSP)

it comes with libnds to start in DS homebrew

There is also a higher level lib called PAlib, which neither I nor several other homebrew developers would recommend, but some people say they find it easier, so you may try it.

Google for "PAlib" or "Devkitarm" to get this stuff.

xdzt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wouldn't you recommend PALib? I mean, sure any higher level libraries are going to run the risk of not fully understanding or optimizing the system at hand, but for someone getting their feet wet, PAlib is surely a good idea. Or do you have a problem with PAlib itself, and if so, why don't you publish and fully document a high-level library.

Sorry if I come off strong, but I detected a whiff of coding elitism and surely we're all here to make games and have fun.

efaj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ssbclash.co.cc
XP
Country
xdzt said:
Why wouldn't you recommend PALib? I mean, sure any higher level libraries are going to run the risk of not fully understanding or optimizing the system at hand, but for someone getting their feet wet, PAlib is surely a good idea. Or do you have a problem with PAlib itself, and if so, why don't you publish and fully document a high-level library.

Sorry if I come off strong, but I detected a whiff of coding elitism and surely we're all here to make games and have fun.
PAlib is useful for small quick projects, but if you plan something big, I'd say libnds is a must (because it's more upgraded, and the code is cleaner)

Sorry if it sounded elitistic, but the truth is Libnds has started becoming quite easy, but I do intend to release a high level library from the code of Clash.

Anyways, I did start with PAlib, but the game has gotten a better progress after using libnds. That's why I did mention PAlib (otherwise, I wouldn't have)

And anyways, this will be my last post about this issue, this is no place to start a flame war about this, enough of them happen at PAlib or GBAdev

I have heard that most of the winners of coding contests are done with PAlib though.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now that this is brought up, I'm beginning to wonder.
I love my TI-84+ SE
wub.gif
wub.gif
Made many great programs for it.
But just how much of a step up are the DS homebrew libraries compared to Z80 TI-Basic?

lordtedo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys i have been looking every where for how or what to make apps with
gbasp.gif
. and i finaly dside to come here.
this is a realy great site!!! well thanks for the info
yaynds.gif
i have 1 question thou.
lecture.gif

are thes 4th generation programing langueges. if not is there one
wacko.gif
?

efaj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ssbclash.co.cc
XP
Country
lordtedo said:
Thank you guys i have been looking every where for how or what to make apps with
gbasp.gif
. and i finaly dside to come here.
this is a realy great site!!! well thanks for the info
yaynds.gif
i have 1 question thou.
lecture.gif

are thes 4th generation programing langueges. if not is there one
wacko.gif
?

nope, most you can get is C++.

Your choices narrow down to ASM, C and/or C++.

At least that I know of, there's no compiler for other languages, and C and c++ are just third gen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom